Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 2, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #227 of 2,617
There's a new update on the XVortex site.  Not sure what all was tweaked as the doc files don't include any text about what the update aimed at.

System update / Обновление системы:
rockbox-update-b708dbc-160501.zip

May 2, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #229 of 2,617
  i just installed the update today and couldn't find any apparent changes to prior versions. at least i can say for sure the playlist problem has not been tackled :wink:

Have you tried making a new folder on your SD card named "Playlists". 

May 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #230 of 2,617
yes i did... it was one of my first attempts. i re-checked it in windows now as i read you post, and strangely there was a file, not folder, named "playlists" without any file extension on the card. i didn't realise this during my prior attempt... anyway... i just deleted this file and now rockbox lets me create playlists... i should have checked the sd card in wndows earlier.

so problem solved thank you!
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #232 of 2,617

It should probably be mentioned in first post then

I will add it to the beginning post, but a .zip file would never work named update.zip.zip.

red71rum,
   Maybe I've misunderstood all along but I thought this issue was a folder named update.zip with ANOTHER update.zip folder inside it.

May 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #233 of 2,617

red71rum,
   Maybe I've misunderstood all along but I thought this issue was a folder named update.zip with ANOTHER update.zip folder inside it.

I think the issue is that the file names itself "update.zip", but in some computers (Mac for example) if your default is set to "hide file extensions" you might accidentally rename your file to update.zip.zip.

May 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #234 of 2,617
red71rum,

The only instance I had seen is where the user renamed the file update.zip, so it was update.zip.zip. I am sure there there have been other problems I guess. I miss posts because I cannot always check from work while working with users.

May 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #235 of 2,617

red71rum,

The only instance I had seen is where the user renamed the file update.zip, so it was update.zip.zip. I am sure there there have been other problems I guess. I miss posts because I cannot always check from work while working with users.

Ah... regardless a sanity check of this folder seems appropriate for inclusion in the helpful hints opening post summary
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #236 of 2,617
I think the issue is that the file names itself "update.zip", but in some computers (Mac for example) if your default is set to "hide file extensions" you might accidentally rename your file to update.zip.zip.

This happens in Windows OS as well where users need to unhide file extensions... Let's not forget that instructions as 'name file XXXX.yyy to ZZZZ.yyy' are coming from developers who have to see the file extensions while the common OS users are just interested in clicking or double-clicking an icon... I would urge anybody updating firmware or making any changes to the file system [COLOR=FF00AA]to enable file extensions view regardless the OS they are using[/COLOR].

red71rum please be so kind and add this advice on the first page as clearly there are new X3 users who don't want to go through the pain of reading all the pages of the the two XDUOO X3 threads.

May 3, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #237 of 2,617
My attention span is running a little short tonight. 

I just received my X3 today.  I put in a spare SD card formatted to fat32 and installed rockbox as per Bob's instructions on post 28. 

I renamed the update.zip.   My question is, what do I need to do with that update zip file?  Maybe it is explained later somewhere in this thread but I have turned into a zombie already. 

My x3 boots up into rockbox but I flicked through the menus and didn't see a section in the settings where it tells you the version of rockbox.  How do I know that the update.zip was automatically applied?

May 3, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #238 of 2,617
This happens in Windows OS as well where users need to unhide file extensions... Let's not forget that instructions as 'name file XXXX.yyy to ZZZZ.yyy' are coming from developers who have to see the file extensions while the common OS users are just interested in clicking or double-clicking an icon... I would urge anybody updating firmware or making any changes to the file system to enable file extensions view regardless the OS they are using.

red71rum please be so kind and add this advice on the first page as clearly there are new X3 users who don't want to go through the pain of reading all the pages of the the two XDUOO X3 threads.

I don't know if I really have to tell all Windows users to go to hit the ALT key when in windows file explorer, choose Folder options, click on View and under Hidden files and folders to make sure it is on show hidden files. Sometimes people do not want to know that stuff: ) I added it and links for both the pc and mac.

May 3, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #239 of 2,617
  My attention span is running a little short tonight. 

I just received my X3 today.  I put in a spare SD card formatted to fat32 and installed rockbox as per Bob's instructions on post 28. 

I renamed the update.zip.   My question is, what do I need to do with that update zip file?  Maybe it is explained later somewhere in this thread but I have turned into a zombie already. 

My x3 boots up into rockbox but I flicked through the menus and didn't see a section in the settings where it tells you the version of rockbox.  How do I know that the update.zip was automatically applied?

The update.zip is needed to install the dual boot system on your X3. In the OP of this thread there is the link for the instructions on Vortex site.

Installation manual

For xDuoo X3
English:
For successful installation it is needed to use PC with installed Windows XP or Windows 7 operational systems. It is possible to use virtual emulator of this OS like VMWare or a kind of this.
For first time installation follow this steps:
1) Download bootloader (update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip) and rockbox system’s archives (rockbox-full-xxx.zip);
2) Rename update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip to update.zip and write to the root of the micro SD-card without unpacking.
3) Unpack rockbox-full-xxx.zip to the root of the micro SD-card. System folder .rockbox must be placed at the root of this memory card. Card must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Filesystems ExFAT, NTFS, EXT3/4 does not supported!
4) Install this SD- card to the X3 slot number 1;
5) Be sured that your X3 is totally charged. Normally update your player. To do this, in the menu "Setting" select "Upgrade";
6) The process of flashing must to begin. After successful installation Rockbox will start automatically;
7) Profit.
You can see the version of RB at the boot screen (first bootloader, second RB version) or in the RB menu System -> Rockbox Info.

May 4, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #240 of 2,617
I remembered to check the bootup screen and realized I was running the latest version. Seems like the instructions on the xvortex site are much more complicated. I figured I must have missed something but it is working well.

The update.zip is needed to install the dual boot system on your X3. In the OP of this thread there is the link for the instructions on Vortex site.

Installation manual

For xDuoo X3
English:
For successful installation it is needed to use PC with installed Windows XP or Windows 7 operational systems. It is possible to use virtual emulator of this OS like VMWare or a kind of this.
For first time installation follow this steps:
1) Download bootloader (update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip) and rockbox system’s archives (rockbox-full-xxx.zip);
2) Rename update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip to update.zip and write to the root of the micro SD-card without unpacking.
3) Unpack rockbox-full-xxx.zip to the root of the micro SD-card. System folder .rockbox must be placed at the root of this memory card. Card must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Filesystems ExFAT, NTFS, EXT3/4 does not supported!
4) Install this SD- card to the X3 slot number 1;
5) Be sured that your X3 is totally charged. Normally update your player. To do this, in the menu "Setting" select "Upgrade";
6) The process of flashing must to begin. After successful installation Rockbox will start automatically;
7) Profit.
You can see the version of RB at the boot screen (first bootloader, second RB version) or in the RB menu System -> Rockbox Info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back