Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #682 of 2,020
I see that Rockbox has a setting that limits max volume -- seems like just the thing to keep from jellying one's ears with a DX50.  But the setting is leveled by decibels descending from zero, and I have no idea how many decibels would be two-thirds or three-quarters of maximum volume.  After my recent experience with maximum volume, I'd rather not just start experimenting.  Does anyone use this setting who's found a level they're happy with?

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #684 of 2,020
  I see that Rockbox has a setting that limits max volume -- seems like just the thing to keep from jellying one's ears with a DX50.  But the setting is leveled by decibels descending from zero, and I have no idea how many decibels would be two-thirds or three-quarters of maximum volume.  After my recent experience with maximum volume, I'd rather not just start experimenting.  Does anyone use this setting who's found a level they're happy with?

3/4 of maximum volume is -1.25 dB.  Probably though this is not what you actually meant.  

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #686 of 2,020
That is what I meant --- think that's still too high?

Sure, if you have super-efficient in-ears and the gain set to high. That's permanent hearing damage in under five minutes of listening.

Maybe not if you have 600 zohm headphones and the gain set to low unless you happen to like your music whisper-quiet.

Like I answered you before, finding a comfortable listening level has nothing to do with numbers. It's you in a quiet place gradually increasing the volume to a comfortable level.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #687 of 2,020
  That is what I meant --- think that's still too high?

I was being facetious.  Human hearing is logarithmic, so 75% volume sounds very similar to 100%.  You probably want to limit volume to a lot less than 75%, -20 dB (1% volume) might be a better limit.  Alternatively, you could just adjust the volume to whatever is comfortable, then add 5dB and set the limit to that.  

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #688 of 2,020
Guys,

I have a rockboxed dx50 using it with my gr07 be and m100s at medium gain and -15db, i like these combos very much..

When i listen through LO adding O2 to the combo its better with both and i find more significant change with the gr07 be in terms of soundstage, separation and details, but the O2 is not a portable option..

I have leckerton uha-4, when i tried it, i felt it better using the dx50 amp specially in sound stage,

So i didn't like it with uha-4, and i read alot recommend bh2.

So how is bh2 compared to uha-4 with such combos ??

If bh2 will be better i can add it to the portable rig, if it wont improve it, then i would just go with the dx50 its already great for me, but the O2 showed me there is still better..

Iam asking about bh2 because it is cheap, and cant afford better right now..

But iam open for suggestions !!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #689 of 2,020
Guys,

I have a rockboxed dx50 using it with my gr07 be and m100s at medium gain and -15db, i like these combos very much..

When i listen through LO adding O2 to the combo its better with both and i find more significant change with the gr07 be in terms of soundstage, separation and details, but the O2 is not a portable option..

I have leckerton uha-4, when i tried it, i felt it better using the dx50 amp specially in sound stage,

So i didn't like it with uha-4, and i read alot recommend bh2.

So how is bh2 compared to uha-4 with such combos ??

If bh2 will be better i can add it to the portable rig, if it wont improve it, then i would just go with the dx50 its already great for me, but the O2 showed me there is still better..

Iam asking about bh2 because it is cheap, and cant afford better right now..

But iam open for suggestions !!

You should get the D42, it is awesome with the ibasso,they have the same house so that is a plus.

As for the rock box, I'm thinking of doing this as well, my DX50 still freezes alot and its getting old. They told me to send it back but it will 30 bucks and worst of all it will be weeks before I get it back. I will wait for the next FW update an see what happens. Are you liking the rock box better than the original?

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #690 of 2,020
You should get the D42, it is awesome with the ibasso,they have the same house so that is a plus.

As for the rock box, I'm thinking of doing this as well, my DX50 still freezes alot and its getting old. They told me to send it back but it will 30 bucks and worst of all it will be weeks before I get it back. I will wait for the next FW update an see what happens. Are you liking the rock box better than the original?

How is the size of the mamba compared to the dx50 ??

Well as for rockbox, i kept switching back and forth too many times and felt confused, at the end i felt that i tend to like the warmth of the stock firmware, but everybody else seemed to like the neutrality of rockbox and even said it had more details, so due to these opinions , also due to my confusion and finding it hard to settle which is better + rockbox features from playlist to equalizer and crossfeed.

I ended up with rockbox without looking back, and its great for me.

You have to try it anyway..

Same here looking forward to next stock firmware !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back