Rickie Lee Jones- Pirates MFSL Gold SACD/CD... Simply Sublime
Aug 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Wow. I've been so busy lately, I had to save this one a while until I had time to fully devote to it. It was well worth the wait. Always loved her and this album, and it's never been remastered since first put out on CD way back in 1984. If you don't know Mo-Fi, they are an audiophile label that have been producing many of the definitive digital and vinyl versions of many of pop/rock's seminal albums for many decades. They've been on a particular roll lately, especially on the digital side, and this one does not disappoint.

For those unfamiliar with RLJ, she's a kind of vagabond/troubador, sort of beatnik type. Less hippie-chick than Joni Mitchell, though still in her wake and under her influence, but coming out much later in time (late 70s). Very much in common with early Tom Waits (pre-Swordfish Trombones), sort of a weird throw-back out of time, emulating and recalling a period prior to their own birth (as if they wanted to step into the Nighthawks at The Diner painting and never leave that world). In fact, the two dated for many years before Waits went off with Kathleen Brennan, his still and current muse.

Her music, as typified here on her second album, is sort of ecstatic, a bit meandering, woozy and nostalgic for the very last instant that just slipped away, very evocative of a particular moment in time. Vaguely shaggy and jazzy, but still pop, just extremely well played by the best musos of the time. She creates a lot of rough and tumble characters living on the edge of society just like Tom Waits used to do. Many of the songs create a whole sound world that you can just step inside and get lost in.

Anyway, they don't make 'em like this anymore, nor are they able to make pure recordings like this one anymore-- good ol' analog tape and tubes.

I know the audience here is mostly younger dudes who may roll their eyes and tend to look at MoFi releases of such seemingly "ancient" material from the crypt as if they were beamed in from some lamer time and appealing only to creepy bearded older guys who just don't get it, but I really think this one will have a lot of appeal even to the most cynical new kids on the block.

Good music is timeless, and it doesn't get much more timeless than Rickie's Pirates. Check it out!

Mark

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 15
You just pushed me over the edge; order placed.

I have lots of MFSL stuff, but not this one. I just didn't know her beyond Chuck E's in Love, and wasn't sure how the SQ on this stacked up to older MFSL.

I've been on a 70s kick lately in part because of the availability of great recordings from then -- Jackson Browne's Late For the Sky is on right now . . .

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 15
Wow thanks Markl. One of my top ten albums ever. Skeletons and a Lucky Guy being the standouts on that album.

Supposedly Waits was the inspiration for much of the album especially Luck Guy.

I don't know of many albums that speaks so eloquently of heart break and love lost in youth. Though Woody and Dutch keeps it from getting morose.

I'm a big fan but I dont think she has done anything as consistently great as that album.

Although, "The Sermon On Exposition Boulevard" is also quite good as an alternate now world weary Rickie Lee.

That album was also a big part of another "west coast sound" that included Steely Dan and later Sheryl Crow with Tuesday Night Music Club" which owes a lot to that album.

Ordering it now.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 15
i love RKL's first two albums; they're both exquisitely recorded and still in my regular rotation even after years of listening.

n fact, i think the regular old CD releases have superlative SQ, so i'm curious how the MoFi release sounds. i'll have to place my order and find out, eh?

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey Markl,

Did you have the 1984 CD release of this as well? I ordered the MFSL version and gotta say I'm a bit underwhelmed. It doesn't sound appreciably better the my original CD.

That being said, I always thought the original CD was decently recorded to begin with.

Of course my ears could be messed up because I have been on a meat puppets Husker Du kick lately
happy_face1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Mark, did your review focus soley on the SACD layer? Any comparisons to the Redbook layer?

sno1man, to which layer are you listening?

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark, did your review focus soley on the SACD layer? Any comparisons to the Redbook layer?

sno1man, to which layer are you listening?

Redbook layer, my SACD unit is dead at the moment due to a bad power supply

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 15
I've been A/Bing the redbook and the SACD layers tonight. The redbook sounds good until I switch to the SACD, which is clearly superior. The SACD shimmers. Sometimes the triangle is a tad harsh, but that's a small price to pay to listen to it over the relatively dull (yeastless?) redbook layer.

Sorry I don't have the audiophile vocabulary; that's the best I can do.

Esoteric SA-10 to Zana Deux to Grado 200s tonight.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi sno1man,
I'm a major CD collector, and yes I have the original "target CD" of this title. Yes, it is one of the very well-done original CDs of its era. That's one of the reasons the target pressing is in demand (besides its scarcity).

I've listened to both the SACD and CD layer. FWIW, over the long green grasses of time, I'm on the record as having major problems with SACD and DSD (so sue me). IMO, there's nothing wrong with PCM, and the future of Hi-Rez is better and beefier PCM, not DSD.

Nevertheless, both the SACD and CD layers of this release sound positively sublime on my player (a heavily modified Marantz SA-7S1), much better than the original.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi sno1man,
I'm a major CD collector, and yes I have the original "target CD" of this title. Yes, it is one of the very well-done original CDs of its era. That's one of the reasons the target pressing is in demand (besides its scarcity).

I've listened to both the SACD and CD layer. FWIW, over the long green grasses of time, I'm on the record as having major problems with SACD and DSD (so sue me). IMO, there's nothing wrong with PCM, and the future of Hi-Rez is better and beefier PCM, not DSD.

Nevertheless, both the SACD and CD layers of this release sound positively sublime on my player (a heavily modified Marantz SA-7S1), much better than the original.

Thanks Markl, I have suspected that my Denon was not a superior player and so I need to get in gear and get my Sony SACD fixed.

Or realize what an idiot I was to sell my rotel......
normal_smile .gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course my ears could be messed up because I have been on a meat puppets Husker Du kick lately
happy_face1.gif

nothing wrong with that! (except for SST/Gregg Ginn's unwillingness to let go of anything for remaster).

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 15
I bought Pirates when the LP was first released before the digital era arrived. This recording always sounded wonderful and it is hard to imagine the SACD sounding any better so its nice to hear they did a good job on the new release.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Well Markl was right. (i hate when that happens.....
biggrin.gif
)
I got my SACD player fixed and listened to it and did some a/b comparison and there are improvements.

They are subtle, but again this album is subtle itself. Couple of places where you can really hear improved sound:

In the song Skeletons towards the end where Rickie is singing "what do birds leave behind.." you can hear a slight emotional quiver especially in the almost whispered "skeletons" that I never noticed before.

On Woody and Dutch you can distinctly hear the finger plucks of the bass..

You know there are gear heads on this site and there are music fans as well, but music like this, well recorded makes it worthwhile to be both. You'd miss that kind of stuff on your generic MP3 player or $500 surround sound home theater system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back