Rhapsodio thread
Mar 20, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #106 of 2,213

AK can kiss my butt, that is all, maybe. 
mad.gif

Now that we have that out of the way, and you have invited AK to your butt, keep us posted if they take you up on the invite. I knew it wasn't going to be popular when I said it.

Don't you like your 100ii?

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #110 of 2,213
Mar 20, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #115 of 2,213
Tera is about 5k over budget :)

My shortlist:

X7
QP1R
A couple of the Cowon players

I'd really like a PAW Gold but I have a feeling it wouldn't play well with my ultra sensitive customs.

Did you try the QP1R with Galaxy?

Don't forget the ONKYO DP-X1 and Luxury&Precision L5Pro

Of course, I'm a big fan of my AK120ii. I've had it for something like 6 months and still have no desire for anything new.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #117 of 2,213
So I recently received some cables and the Galaxy. The Galaxy is still burning for the next couple of days so I've only listened briefly and won't go into it; I'm also still struggling a bit with proper seal and power. It seems it requires a great deal of power to drive. The 901S seems to be sufficient, less so with the Plenue S (I don't know what the difference in their power output is btw).

Rhapsodio Solar
I was cable-less for a while since I sent two cables to be reterminated, I sold the Luna 8-braid much quicker than expected, the Silverfi IEM-R2 is taking a while to make, and my 2.98 8-braid is somewhere in Turkey. I've noticed I tend to neglect the Solar a bit with the SPC; the warmth from the mid-bass is pretty prominent, but it is specifically for the midrange resolution that I prefer a different cable. However, when coupled to the right cable, I am still a very big fan of the Solar (shocking). For me, the Solar differentiates itself for rock music; the forward presentation of electric guitars. When I listen to rock I pay more attention to the guitars than vocals, so this is personal of course. With rock I mean bands like Guns 'n Roses, Greenday, Chevelle for instance; not classic rock or blues rock (to which I would listen to with Zeus). What I seek for in guitars in this type of music, is size, energy, and definition. For me, the Solar does this better than all my other iems (including Zeus, S-EM9 and Galaxy). The Solar is a very full sounding monitor, and its thick notes convey a great deal of power. The Galaxy and Solar are really more different than similar, which ultimately results from their 10 BA vs 1 DD design besides their tuning. The Galaxy has better resolution for instance, but the Solar has a fuller sound in accordance with its mid-bass presentation. I think the difference in sound will ultimately play a bigger role in preference (based on music genres), beyond their technical differences and capabilities. One of the things Sammy finds the most important, is resolution as well as a neutral signature. In that light, the Galaxy really reflects his personal preference. He designed the Solar as a 'fun' sounding monitor for pop btw (I doubt he listens to rock).

Sammy is at least as passionate about cables than he is about his iems, and he tries to set a high standard compared to the competition; with resolution being a main theme. Some thoughts on different cables.

RDS Silver Litz 8-braid
I had my SL reterminated to 2-pin from mmcx as well as 3.5mm trrs balanced. The Silver Litz is a high resolution cable with a colder mid-bass presentation. As such it gives less warm air to the midrange, which aids in separation and gives the Solar a very black background. It's not a bright cable per se, but better extension in the upper treble improves resolution: instrument definition, separation and detail retrieval. Because of the upper treble lift it is not smooth per se although I wouldn't call it harsh. There can be an increased tendency for sibilance because of the treble lift. Overall the cable is a bit V-shaped, but in case of the Solar this is not really an issue since it has a very full sound.

RSD 2.98 8-braid
The 2.98 also has similar characteristics as the SL; specifically the improved midrange resolution and upper treble lift. But it has a more enhanced and warmer mid-bass, as well as a generally warmer atmosphere. The Silver Litz has a slightly higher resolution, but also a more neutral/colder sound. I am currently enjoying the SL with the Solar, but for this reason the 2.98 8-braid is still my favourite cable to pair with it, as it brings out more emotion and is also thicker sounding. I really enjoy the Silver Litz with the Solar, but might prefer it for electronic music (EarSonics S-EM9 or Velvet).

RSD Golden
Sammy sent over his newest cable to demo/review. It is a silver-plated silver & copper hybrid. The Litz wires give it a golden coloration. I was pretty sceptical about the cable because of its extravagant looks, I was fearing it was designed for its looks rather than sound. I have been struggling to find a right cable for Zeus, that improves both its resolution and tonality; but I instantly fell in love with the Golden paired to Zeus and it has been hard to listen to anything else lately (Solar > SL balanced is a distant second). The Golden has a very inherently warm and inviting midrange; a very natural and beautiful tonality that I had only heard in the SilverFi IEM2 cable so far. However the IEM2 is best paired with brighter iems (Velvet or Galaxy) since it attenuates the upper treble which gives it a smoother sound. For iems that are not as bright, this results in a decrease of resolution. I'm going off memory but I think the Golden has a less warm atmosphere than the 2.98; the warmth is more inherent to its midrange. It also has a spacious sound, and the treble opens up a bit more. But I'm thinking more in the lower treble rather than upper treble compared to the SL and 2.98, which aids in the natural presentation. However, those might have a slightly higher resolution. With Zeus there is an improvement in the lower harmonics; details in how a chord is struck, reverberations etc. Because of the combination of its tonality and improvement in resolution, I would summarise the Golden as rich sounding, natural, and warm. I sent Sammy a message next day that I wanted to keep it. 

One thing about the RSD Golden, is that it is golden 
rolleyes.gif
 This automatically, and maybe unwantedly, makes it an eyecatcher and fashion accessory. Personally, I might have preferred a more neutral appearance. The 4 wires are also quite thick so it isn't the most flexible. It is about the same as the Toxic Silver Widow if anyone's had it. The 4 wires are thicker than the other 8-braids.

'Wizard' OCC copper 8-braid
Rhapsodio's current flagship cable is the Wizard OCC, a copper cable with a black sleeving. I've only listened briefly as it is burning with the Galaxy. The Wizard OCC is a bit harder to put in words. It has the highest resolution of all RSD offerings, but also a very neutral signature. It isn't warm or cold, or bright for that matter. It doesn't create particularly thick notes. There only seems to be a slight lift in the upper treble that bumps the resolution. So the focus is more on transparency, resolution and neutrality. Because of the sleeving, the flat 8-braid is on the heavy side. It is the heaviest cable I own.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #118 of 2,213
  So I recently received some cables and the Galaxy. The Galaxy is still burning for the next couple of days so I've only listened briefly and won't go into it; I'm also still struggling a bit with proper seal and power. It seems it requires a great deal of power to drive. The 901S seems to be sufficient, less so with the Plenue S (I don't know what the difference in their power output is btw).

Stellar work as always Nic. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Galaxy.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #119 of 2,213
  So I recently received some cables and the Galaxy...

Some great post (+ nice pics) Nic!

Still can't believe you sold your 8-braid Luna (my favourite cable next to the 2.98 SG)
wink.gif

and of course (like many others I guess) looking forward to your Galaxy review later on...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back