Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
May 17, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,021 of 2,057
  Lol at those prices. It better knocks the VI all over the place. I don't see why they're targetting the tiny group of big spenders and choose to keep them out of reach for the mainstream. 

It actually represent them the best: Their flagship never was, and nor will be, for the mainstream (Piano Forte, Fi-BA-SS, LAB I).
I think these words sum it up beautifully: "the pricing was not so much about flagship status as it was about obtaining a shape by which he (Takai Kanemori, FAD founder) was satisfied with, both acoustically and aesthetically".
http://cymbacavum.com/2014/06/19/in-memoriam-final-audios-kanemori-takai/

May 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,022 of 2,057
do u think the new earpads hv been improved...

May 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,023 of 2,057
  do u think the new earpads hv been improved...

Well the only way to know is to try them out I guess. Wonder if anyone at the Munich High-end show might chime in here for some impression. Personally I'm more interested in the cable, here's hoping It stays around 100$ (though personally I can't see that coming as It is pretty dumb to sell a 100$ cables for a 3000$ or 5000$ headphones lol)

May 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,024 of 2,057
This is more luxurious than audiophile... 

May 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,025 of 2,057
  thanks thor777 and moriez.
all left to do is go to the local hifi store and ask them to order a pair for me to audition them.

can't wait to get a listen after reading 68 pages of pure commendation.

Tick another one off your list -> classic rock (and rock in general).

I have fairly eclectic tastes and find the Pandora handles most genres very well. Not much I don't like listening to on the Pandora except particularly poorly recorded / mastered material where the treble can get a bit shouty on occasion . Although I find these to be fairly forgiving 'phones in the main.

----

I'm considering an amp upgrade. The Gustard H10 looks good value - any of you guys tried or own it? Good match with the Hope VI?

Alternatively, are there any other SS amps in the same rough price bracket (£300 / USD $450) you find pairs well with the VI yet still has enough juice to keep more power hungry 'phones happy (e.g. AKG K7xx or Hifiman HE-560)?

Thanks!

May 18, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,026 of 2,057
You might want to try the Audio-gd SA31 (if Frank at Toxic Cables still has one).

It will drive virtually anything, and sounds great with HE-500s, HD600s and Grados.

May 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,027 of 2,057
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

ya..pick any pure  amp... or a dac+amp within your budget.
( their dac+amp cannot be used as a standalone amp..pls note.)

May 18, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,028 of 2,057
Definitely try out whatever you can, but I would say the Gustard will be hard to beat for the money (can often be had for ~$350-360USD) given it's a clone of the Violectric V200 with some improvements.

May 18, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,029 of 2,057
And the SA-31 (now, alas, discontinued) is loosely based (apparently) on classic Accuphase designs.

Both should give you what you want: a detailed, powerful yet war-sounding solid-state amp.

May 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,030 of 2,057
@Lorspeaker @NZtechfreak @CJG888 - many thanks for the suggestions & input gents. Gives me a few options to look into.

I suspect the Audio-gd gear is probably a little over budget regardless of whether I buy from within the EU or import from further afield but perhaps a used amp might be an option (ruling out an amp/dac combo for the reason Lor mentioned). 

NZ - I agree with you about the Gustard. Looks like a ridiculously good amp for the money and plenty of happy owners judging by the G10 thread.  

No real option to demo any of the amps mentioned before buying and the only amp vaguely local and within budget that piqued my curiosity was a Musical Fidelity M1HPA P on special. Plenty of power for more demanding cans and sub 1 ohm output impedance but sadly no gain control which rules it out.  

Thanks again!

May 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,031 of 2,057
As I think I mentioned before, Frank at Toxic Cables imported Audio-gd gear for a short while (even upgrading the internal wiring!). He has stopped now, but may still have some stock left to clear. He is based in the UK.

May 18, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,032 of 2,057
  @Lorspeaker @NZtechfreak @CJG888 - many thanks for the suggestions & input gents. Gives me a few options to look into.

I suspect the Audio-gd gear is probably a little over budget regardless of whether I buy from within the EU or import from further afield but perhaps a used amp might be an option (ruling out an amp/dac combo for the reason Lor mentioned). 

NZ - I agree with you about the Gustard. Looks like a ridiculously good amp for the money and plenty of happy owners judging by the G10 thread.  

No real option to demo any of the amps mentioned before buying and the only amp vaguely local and within budget that piqued my curiosity was a Musical Fidelity M1HPA P on special. Plenty of power for more demanding cans and sub 1 ohm output impedance but sadly no gain control which rules it out.  

Thanks again!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

usd250...how about this one?  comes with a superior dac to the "odac" i believe. :p

May 19, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,033 of 2,057
Do you need an analogue input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back