REVIEW: Yulong Sabre A18 Reference headphone amp
Jul 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #91 of 177
Quote:
just purchased A18 to match with D18. background noise of A18 is so BAD !!!!!!!!! not worth USD 899.

What headphones are you using? I had absolutely no background noise with my LCD-2 and HD650, apart from IEMs.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #92 of 177
I have absolutely no background noise.Must be something wrong with either the A18 or most likely a grounding issue.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #93 of 177
Quote:
just purchased A18 to match with D18. background noise of A18 is so BAD !!!!!!!!! not worth USD 899.

There is definitely something unusual going on for you.  I have dead silent background using Grado RS1, LCD 2, LCD 3.  Even using Heir 8.A I have no noise that I find annoying enough for me not to listen.  

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #96 of 177
I have the Yulong DA8, and while the built in amp is very impressive, its actually shocking good. I still really really want a chance with the DA8 in pure dac mode XLRed to the A18 to see how my HD800 dances. TEEHEE..

:frowning2:

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #97 of 177
I have the Yulong DA8, and while the built in amp is very impressive, its actually shocking good. I still really really want a chance with the DA8 in pure dac mode XLRed to the A18 to see how my HD800 dances. TEEHEE..

frown.gif

Just go ahead, You know I'll be looking forward to your findings!
Cheers

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #98 of 177
Wow, impressive amp especially if it has the same sound as V200 but with bigger soundstage.

Anyone paired this amp with a M-DAC? I plan to do so and run XLR and balanced with K702 annies and LCD-2 later on.  

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #99 of 177
Wow, impressive amp especially if it has the same sound as V200 but with bigger soundstage.

Anyone paired this amp with a M-DAC? I plan to do so and run XLR and balanced with K702 annies and LCD-2 later on.  
The A18 is currently my favorite amp. Possibly the only solid state amp ill need with the HD800.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #100 of 177
 The A18 is currently my favorite amp. Possibly the only solid state amp ill need with the HD800.

eek.gif
, if you don't mind me asking which other amps have you used with the HD800?

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #101 of 177

Because I, too, experienced background noise with the A18 and my AKG K702's, maybe my input can help you. Actually, it wasn't something permanent, it would come and go. As for the noise per se, it was more like hearing frequencies, like the sound of a radio when you change the frequency. It would last for 10 seconds, and then it would go away. At first, I was worried that the A18 was faulty, but then I remembered that I had experienced this in the past with my stereo amplifier (when I had no head amp and I used the headphone out of the stereo amp), only it wasn't that obvious, and it only occured during summer. :) 

I think you get my point. Obviously, now with the A18 being much more detailed than my stereo amp, I could hear everything clearly -be it music or power line noise. I should add here that I don't use a separate power line, nor any power conditioner or even a specialized power cable (I know, I know, I must change that), and that the A/C was working 24/7 -mine and the neighbours'. When I took the A18 to my friend's house, who uses a separate power line, the noise 'magically' disappeared. And now that the weather is cooler, even in my house I don't experience any noise at all.

Bottom line: With the 62 Ohms K702's, the A18 is dead silent. Even with the volume all the way up, I can't pick up any hum or static. So, either this is a grounding issue, or, worst case scenario, your A18 is faulty. In any case, there's definitely something wrong, as the A18 has a dead silent background. So, I would recommend you do what I did. Try it in a different place, preferably somewhere with a good power line. If the problem persists, then most likely your unit is faulty.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #102 of 177
Hey guys, I thought maybe someone who has some experience with cleaning volume pot on amps could give me some tips. I have a slightly scratchy volume pot on my A18 that Id like to address, to my knowledge all that is required is a simple clean using a aerosol can of DeoxIT. If I'm not mistaken, somewhere along the pot or pot arm there is a small hole where the DeoxIT can be sprayed. Would this be it? 

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #103 of 177
  Hey guys, I thought maybe someone who has some experience with cleaning volume pot on amps could give me some tips. I have a slightly scratchy volume pot on my A18 that Id like to address, to my knowledge all that is required is a simple clean using a aerosol can of DeoxIT. If I'm not mistaken, somewhere along the pot or pot arm there is a small hole where the DeoxIT can be sprayed. Would this be it? 

Yep, that's the area. Just be gentle with it, don't spray a lot, and make sure to turn the shaft a few dozen times immediately after spraying. That should help it get worked in.

A lot of people have good results with this method and it can't hurt to try. Be aware that it doesn't always work though. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #104 of 177

Yep, that's the area. Just be gentle with it, don't spray a lot, and make sure to turn the shaft a few dozen times immediately after spraying. That should help it get worked in.

A lot of people have good results with this method and it can't hurt to try. Be aware that it doesn't always work though. 
Thanks for the quick response John. One more thing, which screws should I begin with, would I have to remove all the screws on the front, rear, and bottom to get a top view like the picture?

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #105 of 177
Thanks for the quick response John. One more thing, which screws should I begin with, would I have to remove all the screws on the front, rear, and bottom to get a top view like the picture?

Sometimes you can just remove the top screws only on front, and then top/bottom screws on rear. I sometimes find that removing the front bottom screws as well gives you more "play" to wiggle the panel and get it moving. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back