Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #286 of 1,182

Quote:
Curse you, project86! And thanks!
Are you planning writing a review of them or has ClieOs and LFF covered a lot of ground already? :wink:

You are very welcome. I probably won't be reviewing the FA-003 since there are already several excellent reviews done (as you mentioned), and also because I've got a full plate with some other gear. If I ever get around to buying the woody mods, I might do a mini-review.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #289 of 1,182
I just got my D100 today.  Excellent.  My volume dial also made a very slight noise towards 100% (which I'd never have found under normal use because it's so loud), so I did as project86 suggested and edged it forward a little bit.  Absolutely perfect now.

As for the people saying about the rattle, mine was mostly fine except when you tilt it in a certain direction.  I haven't opened it, but I'm 99.9999% sure it's the spare fuse as others have said.  That's where the sound is coming from anyway.

Whilst on the subject of fuses, I want to ask a bit of a noob question.  As you know the unit has an internal fuse and the plug itsel is fuseless.  I could do with a longer cable, so I was going to replace it with one of my old PC cables.  These however are all fused at the plug.  Does that matter at all, and what fuse should I put in it?  I'm guessing it doesn't and something like 13A would be fine seeing as it has an internal fuse, but just want to get an opinion first.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #291 of 1,182

Quote:
Sir, how it holds its own aganist Anedio D1 DAC

I covered this pretty well in my review of the Anedio D1. Short answer: the Anedio performs on a higher level, offering significant improvement over the D100 which is already very good DAC. The Anedio costs roughly $700 more than the Yulong so it really isn't a fair comparison. The Yulong is probably a lot more accessible to people due to the price, and I still absolutely enjoy mine.

Quote:
I just got my D100 today.  Excellent.  My volume dial also made a very slight noise towards 100% (which I'd never have found under normal use because it's so loud), so I did as project86 suggested and edged it forward a little bit.  Absolutely perfect now.

As for the people saying about the rattle, mine was mostly fine except when you tilt it in a certain direction.  I haven't opened it, but I'm 99.9999% sure it's the spare fuse as others have said.  That's where the sound is coming from anyway.

Whilst on the subject of fuses, I want to ask a bit of a noob question.  As you know the unit has an internal fuse and the plug itsel is fuseless.  I could do with a longer cable, so I was going to replace it with one of my old PC cables.  These however are all fused at the plug.  Does that matter at all, and what fuse should I put in it?  I'm guessing it doesn't and something like 13A would be fine seeing as it has an internal fuse, but just want to get an opinion first.

Glad the volume knob trick worked for you. I wouldn't worry about using a PC power cable; I do that all the time and I've never had a problem. Whatever fuse is already in a regular PC power cable should to the trick just fine.... the D100 draws way less power than a desktop PC.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #292 of 1,182
Quote:
>Has anyone heard this with an LCD-2? Looking at the specs, this looks like it could adequately drive an LCD-2

plugged an LCD-2 into my D100 at the melbourne meet. Not a good match/doesn't drive them well

Thanks
But what is this in comparison to?

the other amps at the meet (modded spl auditor, the Leben integrated on david brought in, tube ones), etc. you can have a look at the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/532674

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #293 of 1,182
Thanks man.  Any other device I'd have done it without a second thought, but I was just being mega paranoid :)

Final, final question.  Is it safe to use both of the headphone outputs simultaneously, or do you risk potential damage to the D100 and/or headphones?

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #296 of 1,182

Quote:
Quote:
Sir, how it holds its own aganist Anedio D1 DAC

I covered this pretty well in my review of the Anedio D1. Short answer: the Anedio performs on a higher level, offering significant improvement over the D100 which is already very good DAC. The Anedio costs roughly $700 more than the Yulong so it really isn't a fair comparison. The Yulong is probably a lot more accessible to people due to the price, and I still absolutely enjoy mine.

Quote:

Glad the volume knob trick worked for you. I wouldn't worry about using a PC power cable; I do that all the time and I've never had a problem. Whatever fuse is already in a regular PC power cable should to the trick just fine.... the D100 draws way less power than a desktop PC.

Thank you sir. I am ashamed of not reading your review of D1 DAC first. I apologize.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #298 of 1,182
Just a thought about input rates.  Manual suggests to use 96khz in the OS.  If I'm understanding this correctly, the source would be 44.1KHz, which would be resampled to 96KHz, before it's sent to the DAC which resamples it again.

Wouldn't it be better to just select 44.1KHz in the OS so the only resampling done is by the DAC itself?

Also which do you prefer?

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #299 of 1,182
Just a thought about input rates.  Manual suggests to use 96khz in the OS.  If I'm understanding this correctly, the source would be 44.1KHz, which would be resampled to 96KHz, before it's sent to the DAC which resamples it again.

Wouldn't it be better to just select 44.1KHz in the OS so the only resampling done is by the DAC itself?

Also which do you prefer?

not really... internally it's upsampled to 110khz (ASRC), regardless of the input sampling rate

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #300 of 1,182
I'm not quite clear why they suggest software upsampling. It seems to me that the ASRC function of the DAC is one of the primary features. So I'm not sure why we would want to introduce another unnecessary step by having software do some upsampling as well. My preference is to just feed it the native rate of whatever is being played, and let the ASRC work with an unmolested signal. I find that to sound the best, although honestly it might be all in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back