Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Dec 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #241 of 1,182
I'll let someone more experienced answer your questions, but I was happy with my K701 coupled with my D100. I never tried any of the other gear you mentioned, so I can't compare, but I didn't at all feel that the K701 was limited by the D100 in any way.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #242 of 1,182
I'd say the answer depends on your future plans as well as your budget. The Yulong D100 is a great way to get most of the performance possible out of your K701 all in one box, without much messing around. Adding an M-Stage (or other nice amp) could always be done down the road. I agree with Skylab's comment about the built in amp lacking nuance, delicacy, and soundstage definition/air when compared to a higher end stand alone unit. Notice that these are all relatively very minor subtleties; you might not even notice them until you are very familiar with the sound of your K701.

You could still build a great system around something like the Maverick D1 or the Matrix Mini-i. Lots of people use and enjoy those. Combined with the M-Stage they offer plenty of room for teaking, as you mentioned. The Yulong doesn't offer much in the way of tweaking options. So if that is something you might want to do (for fun/learning as much as sound improvement) then the combo options are certainly legit choices. I see the Yulong more as a "buy it and forget it" type of thing, where the other choices you would be messing with more. Whether that sounds fun or sounds like a hassle might be the determining factor.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #243 of 1,182
Thanks for your time man, I feel as things are a little clearer for me now.  It's kind of hard to make an informed decision at the moment having not owned any DACs or amps previously.  What you said is pretty much what I was looking for, that you could get most of the K701's performance out of the D100.  I didn't want to fall into the trap of buying a DAC/amp combo that was way too good for the headphones and becomes wasted (until I upgrade headphones, but I intend to stick with these for a while), and similarly, I didn't want to buy an DAC/amp combo that doesn't quite deliver what's possible from the K701.

It sounds as though the D100 is a fairly good match for the K701, and at this moment in time, I'm happy with that.  It might seem a bit short sighted, but as I'm working part time, I'd like to review my setup in the future when I've got more work and a can use the D100 as a reference point.

I think for now the D100 will serve as a good starting point.  I'll miss not being able to tweak bits and pieces, but I think I'll be happy enough for the time being.

So thanks for your advice and great reviews.

One last parting question that you may or may not be able to answer.  As I was looking at the M-Stage (and possibly will come back to it in the future), do you know of any DACs that would offer a bit of increased bass (maybe 75-100Hz down), but be of similar or higher quality?

Also am I right in thinking that if I wanted to get my hands dirty, I could snip the DAC out of the D100 and solder in a new one, or is it more complicated than that?

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #244 of 1,182

Quote:
Thanks for your time man, I feel as things are a little clearer for me now.  It's kind of hard to make an informed decision at the moment having not owned any DACs or amps previously.  What you said is pretty much what I was looking for, that you could get most of the K701's performance out of the D100.  I didn't want to fall into the trap of buying a DAC/amp combo that was way too good for the headphones and becomes wasted (until I upgrade headphones, but I intend to stick with these for a while), and similarly, I didn't want to buy an DAC/amp combo that doesn't quite deliver what's possible from the K701.

It sounds as though the D100 is a fairly good match for the K701, and at this moment in time, I'm happy with that.  It might seem a bit short sighted, but as I'm working part time, I'd like to review my setup in the future when I've got more work and a can use the D100 as a reference point.

I think for now the D100 will serve as a good starting point.  I'll miss not being able to tweak bits and pieces, but I think I'll be happy enough for the time being.

So thanks for your advice and great reviews.

One last parting question that you may or may not be able to answer.  As I was looking at the M-Stage (and possibly will come back to it in the future), do you know of any DACs that would offer a bit of increased bass (maybe 75-100Hz down), but be of similar or higher quality?

Also am I right in thinking that if I wanted to get my hands dirty, I could snip the DAC out of the D100 and solder in a new one, or is it more complicated than that?

If you want a different "sound flavor" from your D100 u don't need to become a mad scientist Lol unsolder the DAC of the D100 is a very bad idea.
To change your "sound flavor" just buy a separate headphone amp easily tweakable (models that you can change Tube or OPA), my second advice about the D100 would be to buy it from sellers with good reputation and good after sale services, I don't hesitate to tell when i have a bad experience with a seller, but when it's good i think it's fair to tell it, and i bought a DAC from http://stores.ebay.com/shenzhenaudiostore, unfortunately after using this DAC for a while i discovered that the DAC had a problem, and it was several days before the end of the warranty, the seller accepted an exchange of the faulty device, i was happy because even in France some sellers are trying to "trick" you when a failure occurs on your hardware... and this guy is in another country and he was very serious to manage to fix my problems.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #246 of 1,182
I have just a couple of additional questions.  What is the difference between the two headphone jacks?  I understand they are for low and high impendance headphones, but what do they consider low and high, and which should I use for the K701.

Finally, how can I find out where on the volume dial is the maximum input supported by the K701?  I don't want to end up damaging them.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #247 of 1,182
I have just a couple of additional questions.  What is the difference between the two headphone jacks?  I understand they are for low and high impendance headphones, but what do they consider low and high, and which should I use for the K701.

as per the review, the ranges aren't stated. presumably high impedance is around 150-300 ohm or higher. Whether they mean high impedance jack is also for lowish impedance and low sensitivity (k701) is anyone's guess either. As per the first post, try both.

Finally, how can I find out where on the volume dial is the maximum input supported by the K701?  I don't want to end up damaging them.

your ears will damage from the sound pressure long before the headphones (just start from low vol and gradually increase it)
It's pretty doubtful that d100 has enough juice to damage K701 since they're hard to drive and d100's max output is not that high.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #248 of 1,182
Thanks, now for a question I think I know the answer to, but I'd like some confirmation.  Let's say for arguments sake that if the max the K701 can handle is 50% of the Yulong for a normal source, for the few quiet sources that would require 60%+ for example, would turning them up to that level damage the headphones, or is it simply a case of how much the drivers end up moving?  What about the cables?

Sorry for the beginner question, but now I'm getting into better quality/more powerful, I want to make sure I'm taking care of my gear.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #249 of 1,182
Hello all Yulong D100 owners!

Let me join the club to make a question to project86:

project86, what do you think of the synergy between the Yulong D100 and the AKG K240 DF? Is the Yulong lacking power to drive correctly the K240 DF? Or is it similar to the Matrix M-Stage in this regard?

I want to build  the most transparent setup with a budget of 600 Euros and now that I already have the Yulong D100, I'm going to get my first full sized headphone.

Right now I'm torn between the AKG K240 DF and the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro - 180 Euros.

By the way, project86, do you have any other headphone that you consider more transparent and neutral than the K240 DF, that one can get for less than 300 USD?

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #250 of 1,182
Thanks, now for a question I think I know the answer to, but I'd like some confirmation.  Let's say for arguments sake that if the max the K701 can handle is 50% of the Yulong for a normal source, for the few quiet sources that would require 60%+ for example, would turning them up to that level damage the headphones, or is it simply a case of how much the drivers end up movingWhat about the cables?

Sorry for the beginner question, but now I'm getting into better quality/more powerful, I want to make sure I'm taking care of my gear.

The bolded bit (which would be determined by the input signal level and the gain). The cables will be fine lol, if anything you can only mechanically damage the drivers on very very high levels, but I wouldn't worry about it, D100 is not a monster like B22.
Again, you ears will break before the drivers do (and you'll generally start hearing the headphones distort at volumes close or over intended input power). Unless you plant to use K701 like mini speakers :D

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #252 of 1,182

Quote:
Hello all Yulong D100 owners!

Let me join the club to make a question to project86:

project86, what do you think of the synergy between the Yulong D100 and the AKG K240 DF? Is the Yulong lacking power to drive correctly the K240 DF? Or is it similar to the Matrix M-Stage in this regard?

I want to build  the most transparent setup with a budget of 600 Euros and now that I already have the Yulong D100, I'm going to get my first full sized headphone.

Right now I'm torn between the AKG K240 DF and the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro - 180 Euros.

By the way, project86, do you have any other headphone that you consider more transparent and neutral than the K240 DF, that one can get for less than 300 USD?

Thanks!

K240 DF is now discontinued, specs were 600 Ohms and 88db SPL/mW it's not the kind of headphones which cost 300 USD... 100 or 120 USD on ebay maximum, but not more...

For 300 USD i'd look for an AKG K601 (sound is neutral, but theses headphones aren't very famous here, i don't know why i fount them better than K701, try to read some reviews).

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #253 of 1,182

Quote:
K240 DF is now discontinued, specs were 600 Ohms and 88db SPL/mW it's not the kind of headphones which cost 300 USD... 100 or 120 USD on ebay maximum, but not more...

For 300 USD i'd look for an AKG K601 (sound is neutral, but theses headphones aren't very famous here, i don't know why i fount them better than K701, try to read some reviews).

I know that the K240 DF is a vintage headphone, that one can only get through ebay or used.
I have read very good things about it, but I'm still unsure if it's sound quality is at the level of the K701 or the Sennheiser HD600...
I would like project86 to give his honest opinion about this. And by the way which of these three is the most transparent and accurate?

I'm shure that the K601 is a great headphone, but the reason why the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro is one of my options is precisely because it has been compared favorably to the K701, DT 880 and other high end headphones and it is said to be more transparent and accurate, while being also highly musical. I also remember that it's predecessor, the MB Quart QP 450 Pro, was compared the same way to the K601 and the results were the same.
The GMP 450 Pro (2*300 Ohms) has also the advantage of being easier to drive than any of those AKGs, it can be driven by portable sources. So the Yulong D100 would drive it better.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway, cheaphifi!

The German Maestro brand isn't a very well known, but it's headphones are acknowledged to be highly accurate.

What I want above all from my system is Transparency and Accuracy. The most transparent headphone I can get for 230 Euros would theoretically be the best match for the Yulong D100 in that regard.
After, at least, one year of search all over the net for the most transparent and accurate headphone,within my budget, with which music actually sounds like music, and that doesn't require a mod to achieve so, the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro is what I found the best... but on the last days I caught the AKG K240 DF, thanks to some helpfull headfiers, and I have been reading very good things about it.

But I still have some doubts regarding the K240 DF's sound quality:
Is it's overall sound quality comparable to the K701, HD600 or DT990?
Is it more transparent and accurate than those?

project86 has the answers! Please write a mini comparison between these cans and the K240 DF so that you save my day! :)

I don't want to be to demanding so that will be my only requirement!

Thanks!

Oh, by the way, project86, when are you going to write your review of the GMP 450 Pro?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #254 of 1,182
Regarding the K240DF: I really enjoy the sound it gives and I find it to be a great value, but it certainly isn't for everyone. There isn't enough clarity and impact in the bass department for it to be completely lifelike, and for some people it won't be very enjoyable because of that. But I guess that is similar to the K701. Also with the DF there isn't a huge expansive soundstage or pinpoint imaging like a high end headphone can give you. Lastly, I've had some friends find it uncomfortable (for me it is fine). Personally I'd place it just one notch below the K702 and the HD600. Which still makes it a great buy since it can be found cheap.

I have yet to hear any of the German Maestro products. I used to have some of the mid-priced older MB Quart stuff and found them good for the price, with a unique sound signature, so I'd love to try the GMP stuff one of these days.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #255 of 1,182
I'm hoping here that I might be able to get Skylab to once again weigh in on the D100's ability to drive some tougher cans. This time the HE-6? If I were to buy the HE-6 (and like them) it would probably be my rig for a long while. I wouldn't really be interested in upgrading my amp, otherwise I'd more likely be putting my money towards a stax rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back