Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Oct 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #31 of 840

Quote:
Thank you for the informative post project86.

I'm wondering if Violectric specifies a neutral volume level, aka 'unity' gain level, at which there's no amplification or attenuation of the signal.  Would really like to use this DAC as a standalone unit and feed an amp, without changing anything in the volume as well.

I believe that given their in-depth measurements and specifications, and the precise build quality, they should be able to tell exactly what this level is.

I'm not sure. Maybe Fried Reim will spot your post and answer the question? He does pop in here from time to time to answer Violectric related questions. If not you could always email him, he is very responsive and willing to help.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #33 of 840
Hello there,

first of all I like to thank John for another great review.
Not only because of the results 
regular_smile%20.gif
  but how he sets it up, describes, draws conclusions !!

There had been a number of questions appearing which I would like to answer here.

@ Zombie_X
... about the releasing of some other balanced (headphone) amps ...

Well, we´re late with developing. This is because most times the relevant people in charge of this job
are permanently engaged in the test bay for our series products due to high sales.
Also we had been in charge to develope 6 new headphone amps for Lake People which will
replace the current models from next year.

So we hope that we can release at least the balanced amp known as V281 next spring.

By the way, we have two pieces of Prism Sound´s "D-Scope" for measuring purposes,
accompanied by a Rohde + Schwarz "UPL" and 5 oscilloscops, all Tektronics, from "TDS 340" downwards.

@ Tom W
 ... about the use of Dip-switches compared to jumpers.

First of all, the way how we adapt the analog output level has to be made close to the depending circuitry as the traces are very sensitive to pick-up noise.
And we would not have this extraordinary THD figure when we would do it in another way.
We have chosen Dip-switches instead of Jumpers because we felt that these are more easy to operate for the average user.
In 25 years of experiences with electronic circuitry we have never faced a broken or not working Dip-Switch. Dip switches are the more expensive solution.
Of coarse the contacts from our Dip-switches as well as our Jumpers employ gold plated surfaces.

@ tbger99
... about the internal unity gain level from a DAC ...

A current output DAC does not have a specific output level as this is made during the I-U (current to voltage) conversion in the first  analog stage after the converter.
But assuming there would be a direct voltage output this would mirror a level of approx. +8 dBu / about 2 V.
When this level is present at a balanced output another 6 dB gain is achieved, so +14 dBu would be a "native" balanced output level from a DAC.

Feel free to ask more questions,

Greetz

Fried

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #34 of 840
Fried, thanks for your reply.  I would like to have an external headphone amplifier to take charge of the amplification / attenuation process.  Is there a way to make the V800 act as a DAC only without adding or taking gain ?  I don't have a way to measure the output dBu levels that you mentioned, could you specify or approximate a level on the knob that would produce what I need ?  Assuming that all V800 units are precisely built and that one's level 3 is similar to another's level 3 on the knob (so that you can actually use these terms).

Thank you

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 840

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Fried, your insight is always appreciated. 6 new Lake People headphone amps? Violectric V281? Sounds like you could use some more staff. Do they allow child labor in Germany? The Rohde + Schwarz UPL is so easy even a child can use it.

Just an idea...

Get that kid a garage to work in and a Steve Jobs poster....

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #38 of 840
I just love the V200, so I don't know quite what to expect of a new Violectric line-up of headphone amps. Ignorance is bliss, I know. However, I still look forward to the new Violectric stuff. 

Are you guys at Violectric cultivating the same sound signature in the new amplifiers as the V200, or are you getting more tuned into "brighter / professional" sound signature? Just curious.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #39 of 840

Quote:
I just love the V200, so I don't know quite what to expect of a new Violectric line-up of headphone amps. Ignorance is bliss, I know. However, I still look forward to the new Violectric stuff. 

Are you guys at Violectric cultivating the same sound signature in the new amplifiers as the V200, or are you getting more tuned into "brighter / professional" sound signature? Just curious.

The longer I listen to my V200 the more I love it.  One thing I've noticed about the conversations I've seen from Fried is that the Viloectric products seem to be designed and manufactured on and from the basis of good engineering logic and quality performance. I'd be very surprised if the next generation differs from the fundamental soundness of the current design philosophies.  I'm betting the next generation is going to be a more refined version of the current line and that the sonics will reflect that.  Violectrics engineering and philosophy seems to come from the inside and their products seem to develop from that type of platform so I'd be surprised if they allowed outside trends to guide their designs.  

I hope I can afford something in the next generation.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #40 of 840

Quote:
The longer I listen to my V200 the more I love it.  One thing I've noticed about the conversations I've seen from Fried is that the Viloectric products seem to be designed and manufactured on and from the basis of good engineering logic and quality performance. I'd be very surprised if the next generation differs from the fundamental soundness of the current design philosophies.  I'm betting the next generation is going to be a more refined version of the current line and that the sonics will reflect that.  Violectrics engineering and philosophy seems to come from the inside and their products seem to develop from that type of platform so I'd be surprised if they allowed outside trends to guide their designs.  

I hope I can afford something in the next generation.

That's exactly how I see it as well. If the V281 was simply a pair of V200 in a single case for balanced operation, in the same way that a V181 is just two V100s together, I'd be totally cool with that. But then again, do I really need any more power than what the V200 is giving? So I guess there would be some room for more refinement. 

I highly doubt that Fried would allow tipped up highs to creep into the sound signature of his gear. This is a guy who prefers the original LCD-2 over the rev2 version for that very reason. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #41 of 840

I got my Woo 6SE a few month ago for my grados and future lcd2/lcd3, and have been looking for a DAC since then. I was kind of waiting for the Anedio but now I'm not sure i can wait much longer.
So I'm trying to decide between the Violectric v800 and Wyred4sound dac2.

Thoughts anyone?

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #42 of 840

Maybe that's why there were some talks about a V281, a V282 and a V284. 

Quote:
...If the V281 was simply a pair of V200 in a single case for balanced operation, in the same way that a V181 is just two V100s together, I'd be totally cool with that. But then again, do I really need any more power than what the V200 is giving? So I guess there would be some room for more refinement...

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #43 of 840

Quote:

I got my Woo 6SE a few month ago for my grados and future lcd2/lcd3, and have been looking for a DAC since then. I was kind of waiting for the Anedio but now I'm not sure i can wait much longer.
So I'm trying to decide between the Violectric v800 and Wyred4sound dac2.

Thoughts anyone?

I don't know that anyone has heard both models for direct comparison. I imagine they are somewhat similar though - both companies seem focused on engineering, both have lots of experience/history, both sell directly to the consumer from their website (as well as through some other distributors, but still staying close to an "internet direct" model rather than a traditional dealer network). Most people I know who have experience with the W4S products really enjoy them. 

I know this doesn't help much but it's the best I can offer. Read the reviews of both and see which one grabs your attention more. Also, go by feature set and even appearance to help you decide.

Quote:

Maybe that's why there were some talks about a V281, a V282 and a V284.  

From what I remember, the V282 would be a modestly upgraded version of V281, and the V284 would be on the extreme side. Having experienced some "statement" amps in the multi-thousand dollar range, personally I think the V200 is right there in the sweet spot for me. You might do a little better, but it will cost you way too much to get there.

That being said, I am interested in hearing about the new Violectric gear when it is eventually released, and maybe even upgrading from my V200. We'll see. By then it will probably be paired with an LCD-4, HD900, Edition 11, W6000, and some crazy custom IEMs.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 840
Thanks for doings these reviews P86! Can I just find out, which version DSP is your ref 7 using? I think some other users mentioned that the upgraded DSP makes a big difference. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #45 of 840

Quote:
Thanks for doings these reviews P86! Can I just find out, which version DSP is your ref 7 using? I think some other users mentioned that the upgraded DSP makes a big difference. 

I've got the V5 which if I remember correctly is the most recent. Never got to hear the older ones so I can't say for sure how big the difference really is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back