Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Oct 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #16 of 840

Quote:
I really like your reviews, great work as always! Project would be great if you will consider make review even on Casea Cepheus mk2 Synchro in future..? This unit really deserve it. And it is also in similar price range category around $1100 with RCA and $1250 with XLR and with synchro modul $150 more (according to actual rate).

Thanks for the kind words! 

I'd love to check out the Casea gear at some point. It does look nice! I'm kind of planning on slowing things down a bit for the next year, but we'll see what happens. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 840
This thread doesn't seem to be getting the traffic your reviews are accustomed to. I think it probably has to do with the fact that you feel the Anedio outclasses this, for around the same price. Can you give any reason why one might prefer the V800 over the D1, other than stock issues?

-Daniel

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 840

Quote:
This thread doesn't seem to be getting the traffic your reviews are accustomed to. I think it probably has to do with the fact that you feel the Anedio outclasses this, for around the same price. Can you give any reason why one might prefer the V800 over the D1, other than stock issues?

-Daniel

Think you pretty much answered your own question. I'm getting the DAC V800, because I'd rather not play the waiting game with Anedio which has no release date and/or preorder option. Also, v800 would suffice at 1200-1300 USD while we have no idea how much the new Anedio D1 is going to cost (most likely more than it does now). Buying a used Anedio D1 is not favorable to me because I have a balanced amplifier and balanced HD 800 setup. 

If Project86 is right about v800 being very similar in performance to Anedio D1, I am willing to try it out. Besides, there are 'still' better DACs out there than Anedio, just not in the 1200 USD range (sour grapes). I guess this is all a leap of faith - given even Anedio D1's buzz is really being created out of Project's review. But it's worth taking since he seems to be objectively comparing the different DACs as well as be putting more emphasis on the sound of the DAC rather than the technical specifications.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 840

Quote:

-Daniel

Quote:

Think you pretty much answered your own question. I'm getting the DAC V800, because I'd rather not play the waiting game with Anedio which has no release date and/or preorder option. Also, v800 would suffice at 1200-1300 USD while we have no idea how much the new Anedio D1 is going to cost (most likely more than it does now). Buying a used Anedio D1 is not favorable to me because I have a balanced amplifier and balanced HD 800 setup. 

If Project86 is right about v800 being very similar in performance to Anedio D1, I am willing to try it out. Besides, there are 'still' better DACs out there than Anedio, just not in the 1200 USD range (sour grapes). I guess this is all a leap of faith - given even Anedio D1's buzz is really being created out of Project's review. But it's worth taking since he seems to be objectively comparing the different DACs as well as be putting more emphasis on the sound of the DAC rather than the technical specifications.

That does answer the question for the most part. These are two of my favorite companies at the moment, so I have a hard time recommending one over the other based on anything other than practicality. If you are ready to buy right now, the V800 is the logical choice. If you are willing to wait an undetermined amount of time, and pay an unknown amount extra, the new Anedio DAC might be worth waiting for. 

Realistically, it will probably be out in the next 6 months give or take a few. And I can't imagine the price being too extreme - it might go up to ~$1500 or something, but I can't see them bumping it to $2200 or anything major like that. If the built in headphone amp or remote control functions appeal to you, then obviously that would be worth waiting for.

Aside from being available right now, the V800 has a few other benefits to consider. It is very compact. It is black (well, the front is anyway). It has a digital output, which is something I find useful. It has adjustable gain via an internal jumper: 5 steps for a total range of 18dB, above and beyond what can be accomplished through the volume control function. Lastly, and this may be pure vanity on my part, it is a perfect match cosmetically with my V200 amp.

Overall it seems that the V800 may have the advantage as far as integrating better into most systems. That isn't a big problem I've experienced with the Anedio unit, but it is still worth noting. And when I say the V800 is slightly behind sonically, I really do mean slightly. It would be very easy to miss the differences altogether. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 840
Great review, I learned a lot about how these things work. Has anyone compared the V800 to the Wyred4Sound DAC?

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 840
Man every time I listen to this DAC I love it more and more! P86 do you have any idea when Violectric is releasing their other amps?

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 840
I have a Music Hall DAC25.2 but have tried: Benchmark DAC1, Lavry D11, Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC. The MF DAC was, IMO, the most similar to the V800 DAC but in the end the Violectric just stomps it. I absolutely didn't like the DAC1 at all and believe it's far over priced.

The MF and Larvy were from memory.

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere they were shooting for early 2012? Don't quote me on it though.

Zombie_X, what other dacs have you tried, and how does the V800 compare?

-Daniel

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 840
Well I heard it a while back when I was auditioning DAC's but I do not remember how it sounded off of memory. That's why I didn't compare in the review. FWIR it's a very warm DAC but that's all I remember about it.

Quote:
^ Where and how did the Lavry fit in?

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 840
P86 - I want to thank you for another great review. The DAC seems to hold its own against some worthy [size=10pt]opponents.[/size]

I know there are always going be to trade offs at this price point but the use of DIP switches on the main board is tough to overlook on equipment this expensive.

I have seen hundreds of these POS fail in my professional career. While they often fail from a heavy hand I've also seen them fail over time from corrosion and reasons unknown. 

IMO gold plated pins and jumpers would have been worth the extra cost in this one area.  

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #29 of 840

Quote:
P86 - I want to thank you for another great review. The DAC seems to hold its own against some worthy [size=10pt]opponents.[/size]

I know there are always going be to trade offs at this price point but the use of DIP switches on the main board is tough to overlook on equipment this expensive.

I have seen hundreds of these POS fail in my professional career. While they often fail from a heavy hand I've also seen them fail over time from corrosion and reasons unknown. 

IMO gold plated pins and jumpers would have been worth the extra cost in this one area.  

Thanks Tom.

It's possible that these DIP switches actually do use gold plated contacts internally. I've seen several brands do just that; here is an example. In the end though I defer to the expertise of the Violectric/Lake People folks. Having made their name with studio equipment, I imagine they would have gone as far as they needed to with parts like this, to ensure reliability. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 840
Thank you for the informative post project86.

I'm wondering if Violectric specifies a neutral volume level, aka 'unity' gain level, at which there's no amplification or attenuation of the signal.  Would really like to use this DAC as a standalone unit and feed an amp, without changing anything in the volume as well.

I believe that given their in-depth measurements and specifications, and the precise build quality, they should be able to tell exactly what this level is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back