Review: The Battle of the DAPs – HiFiMAN vs. Studio 1 vs. iMod vs. DACport
Jul 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #31 of 61
Thanks for the effort.

After reading the review, I went back and tried my AKG 702 with the Studio.  I had tried them briefly upon first arrival of the Studio but had not gone back.  Warp08 is right about the Studio being able to power full size headphones.  The 702's sounded great.

I'm not so sure about the low impedance earphones.  I also tried my Koss KSC75 with the Studio shortly after listening the same music (classical, piano concerto) with 702's.  The KSC75 did not have any noticeable hiss ( and I will be the first to admit that hiss is rarely ever a bugaboo with me ).  While the sound quality wasn't the same, it wasn't that far off either.  Also, with the 702's I had to use volume at 30 or 31, and with the KSC75, reduce it only a couple of notches.  It could be, as noted in the review, that our versions were different.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #33 of 61
Thanks warp, very interesting!

What some persons are going to say or refer to regarding this test I don´t care about one bit, what I care about is that it´s so cool when people take their time to do such things no matter what their final opinion might be. All of us cannot always come to the same conclusions, right? 

I´v read dfkt´s RMAA thred as well and apllaud him for doing it the same way I´ll apllaud warp for giving us his oppinions, no matter what once personal opinion might be I´ll find it interesting to read reviews, tests etc where people come to different opinions/measurement. I will always make up my own mind about a produkt in the end anyway, using my own ears.  Though it´s not always one can listen to every product out there, sadly!

Again, than you warp for taking your time to give us your highly appriciated opinions.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #34 of 61
Thanks for your kind comments, guys.  Interestingly, it seems as I may have the opportunity to evaluate the HM-602 and compare it against the HM-801 when it's released in the near future.   I have briefly auditioned a pre-production 602 sample at Can Jam, so I'm very excited to see how the production version compares.  So, watch this space!

I have read the entire RMAA thread and have no comment on it.  Frequency analysis charts are very useful tools to measure and tune component performance, but in the end what matters the most is how that particular configuration may sound to YOUR EARS and not just mine.  Independent reviews like mine are always subjective to a certain degree and there are a lot of variables even when conducted at the greatest care possible.  They offer additional data points readers may not otherwise have considered and if my reviews accomplish those goals than they will have been worth the time and effort. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 61
You actually got me really interested in the DACport, warp. Makes me question what I'd truly be most satisfied with as a transportable/portable setup for my JH-16's. It's also a plus to know that you can use the DACport as a pre-amp as well.

How would you compare:

[any source] -> RSA Protector (balanced) -> TWag cable (balanced) -> JH-16's

Vs

PC (via USB) -> DACport -> TWag cable -> JH-16's

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #36 of 61

Quote:
You actually got me really interested in the DACport, warp. Makes me question what I'd truly be most satisfied with as a transportable/portable setup for my JH-16's. It's also a plus to know that you can use the DACport as a pre-amp as well.

How would you compare:

Vs

That interests me to sanity, very interesting question indeed!

Do any of you guys know how much the DACport cost?  ...or have I simply missed that one?
confused.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #37 of 61
Excellent review Warp08, i thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I've had my hifiman for nearly 6 months now and don't regret selling my imod/ teflon v-cap rig at all.

Quote:

That interests me to sanity, very interesting question indeed!

Do any of you guys know how much the DACport cost?  ...or have I simply missed that one?
confused.gif

it says $399.95 on their wesbsite
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #38 of 61

Quote:

How would you compare:

Vs

So, I consider the DACport more of a transport than a source.  If I understand your question, you would like to know how much added benefit is to add a Protector on top of the DACport.  Since I have done only a very limited amount of testing with that particular configuration, I'd rather not say what my preference is as I do not have sufficient data.  For the sake of simplicity, however, I can tell you that assuming you have high-quality, preferably 24/96 source material and quality USB interconnect to the DACport, the TWagged JH16 Pros will shine in that configuration.

Now if you already own a HiFiMAN, you pretty much use it in DAC/amp mode, accomplishing the same thing and in that case I would probably not buy a separate DACport just for my computer, because there isn't that big of a difference between the DACs, at least to my ears.  I've bought the DACport because I didn't have the HifiMAN at that time and it replaced both of my Pico DAC and a separate amp I used to carry with my MacBook Pro.  Now I just carry this little stick for computer audio enjoyment.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #39 of 61

Quote:
So, I consider the DACport more of a transport than a source.  If I understand your question, you would like to know how much added benefit is to add a Protector on top of the DACport.  Since I have done only a very limited amount of testing with that particular configuration, I'd rather not say what my preference is as I do not have sufficient data.  For the sake of simplicity, however, I can tell you that assuming you have high-quality, preferably 24/96 source material and quality USB interconnect to the DACport, the TWagged JH16 Pros will shine in that configuration.

Now if you already own a HiFiMAN, you pretty much use it in DAC/amp mode, accomplishing the same thing and in that case I would probably not buy a separate DACport just for my computer, because there isn't that big of a difference between the DACs, at least to my ears.  I've bought the DACport because I didn't have the HifiMAN at that time and it replaced both of my Pico DAC and a separate amp I used to carry with my MacBook Pro.  Now I just carry this little stick for computer audio enjoyment.

I should have explained my inquisition better. By [any source], I was regarding to more so the likes of an HM-801 or iMod DAP.  

I actually don't have an HM-801 and am trying to figure out if what I'm truly seeking is something like a DACport.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 61

Quote:

I should have explained my inquisition better. By [any source], I was regarding to more so the likes of an HM-801 or iMod DAP.  

I actually don't have an HM-801 and am trying to figure out if what I'm truly seeking is something like a DACport.

Only you know your needs for the foreseeable future.  The DACport is a good choice if you need a small office rig that you can hook up to your computer or laptop and stick a wide variety of headphones/IEMs in it.  It's compact and easy to put into your pocket when you leave your desk.

But a DAP it isn't, so if you're also looking for portable use on the go and the best overall quality and flexibility in one product, the HM-801 is hard to ignore since you can also use it as a USB/Coax DAC/amp with your computer.  It'll cost you more money, but it is a modular platform with 2 and pretty soon 3 amp modules available.

The iMod can sound awesome as well with the right cabling and amping, but the built-in DAC is a bottleneck compared to the other two.  Still, it's hard to beat for convenience and ease-of-use features.

Another important factor is the type of music you prefer.  Some of these differences are simply not there with today's Top 20 pop hits-type of closed-mic, poorly mixed tracks.  Garbage-in, garbage out.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 61

Quote:

Only you know your needs for the foreseeable future.  The DACport is a good choice if you need a small office rig that you can hook up to your computer or laptop and stick a wide variety of headphones/IEMs in it.  It's compact and easy to put into your pocket when you leave your desk.

But a DAP it isn't, so if you're also looking for portable use on the go and the best overall quality and flexibility in one product, the HM-801 is hard to ignore since you can also use it as a USB/Coax DAC/amp with your computer.  It'll cost you more money, but it is a modular platform with 2 and pretty soon 3 amp modules available.

The iMod can sound awesome as well with the right cabling and amping, but the built-in DAC is a bottleneck compared to the other two.  Still, it's hard to beat for convenience and ease-of-use features.

Another important factor is the type of music you prefer.  Some of these differences are simply not there with today's Top 20 pop hits-type of closed-mic, poorly mixed tracks.  Garbage-in, garbage out.

Thanks warp. I understand all that, but I do feel this isn't clear to many here on head-fi, especially those expecting miracles from an expensive upgrade focusing on solely one aspect of their setup.

But back to what I was initially trying to figure out. Would a transportable setup like a notebook -> DACport -> JH16 w/ TWag be able to compete with a portable setup like a HM-801 -> Protector (balanced) -> JH16 w/ TWag (balanced) in regards to sound quality? Especially for custom IEM's on the level of JH16's, the latter appears to be the ultimate "portable" setup at the moment when it comes down to sound quality only. The thing is, a notebook with a DACport may actually be a better option for some, even if it is more inconvenient portability wise. It would just be nice to know that there may be an advantage to this setup. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #44 of 61
Fantastic review, warp08!

A stellar contribution to the information on Head-Fi. Thanks for your hard work. Well done.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #45 of 61

Quote:
Thanks for your kind comments, guys.  Interestingly, it seems as I may have the opportunity to evaluate the HM-602 and compare it against the HM-801 when it's released in the near future.   I have briefly auditioned a pre-production 602 sample at Can Jam, so I'm very excited to see how the production version compares.  So, watch this space!

nice ~ i look forward to see your review of 602 V.S 801  thanks in advance but no pressure intended :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back