[Review] T-Peos H-200
Aug 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
I'd like to say that this is a repost of my original review that was posted on iFans (the website I work for as a volunteer).  There is little changed from the original.  The audience originally for a forum of iDevice and portables (phones, tablets, etc.) and it remains that way.  That said, the text is all true, regardless of whether you're from Head-Fi, but the scores are weighted evenly.  I know from what I've seen on Head-Fi, the scores tend to have a bigger weight on audio, then build, then comfort, then value, and design is normally not scored highly.  From a consumer standpoint, I feel it's all equally important.  That is the reason for the even weighting.  That said, the review is taken from: http://www.ifans.com/blog/88325/

If you have read the original review, nothing really has changed from the original outside some minor details at the end of the review. 

Review: T-Peos H-200

T-Peos | In-Ear Monitor | $250
 ​

T-Peos is company in its infancy in the headphone, in-ear, market. Even with this limited exposure, they have been able to show that they wish to pioneer into the newer technologies. The H-200 stands as T-Peos’ flagship model replacing the H-100; it’s supposed to fix up a few of the issues people had with the 100. Although I haven’t heard the H-100, I can personally say the H-200 pose a great value, even near the 250-dollar price tag. 

Specifications

Driver: Dynamic + Dual-BA
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
Impedance: 22 ohms
Sensitivity: 105 dB

In the Box

T-Peos H-200
Audio Cables (Black braided with remote and mic, red audio-only)
Leather Carrying Case
Silicone Tips (Translucent: S/M/L; Hybrid: S/M/L)
Foam Tips (Red: M)
¼” Adapter
Cable Clip

Design

The design of the H-200 is very similar to the shape of the AKG K3003. The design is a little simpler and less flashy though. The H-200 had many mockups that showed various colors, although the black with gold accents was my favorite color scheme, the black with a darker gunmetal accent looks great as well. The red cable can give the IEM another dimension of color, especially when coupled with the red foam tips, while the black cable remains sleek and more professional. Overall, the H-200 has a very handsome, unobtrusive design.

Design: ★★★★

Audio

Two balanced armatures control the upper ranges while a strong dynamic driver supplies the supple low end. The driver configuration pumps out a sound signature that is very balanced overall. Don’t let the graph below fool you, the bass on the T-Peos have excellent control and a fast quick decay, in some cases faster than my HiFiMan RE-400, that allows beautiful rendering while the midrange sits at a very neutral level with treble that can become a bit too splashy.

The bass on the H-200, as stated before, is controlled in a way that stops it from going flabby or muddy. Texturing has very subtle texturing while offering a thicker, more solid feel. The H-200s offer a nice bit of impact with each hit that comes out that has ample umph behind it. Despite that, I still found the bass to actually be very tight with good accuracy behind its punch, I might even go as far to say it was tighter than the RE-400.

The midrange of the H-200 is reminiscent of something you’d see in an Etymotic or something that’s more DF-oriented. It has a nice aggressive personality behind it that allows for a strong detail-based midrange. This especially makes guitars come alive. Up top, the clarity has a beautiful ring behind it that doesn’t go harsh; it’s present and strong, but not over the top. The vocals on the H-200 are present with good dynamic range. Lower-octave lushness is amply present while the upper-octaves give energy and sweetness to each vocal allowing both power and emotion to come across well.

As we head upstairs into the treble, we see the main issues that come with the IEM, not that the treble is bad. The lower treble has a nice, present snap to it that has ample detailing, but doesn’t give that convincing fully extended snap at times. In the upper treble, I found that the detailing was very strong, but not in an aggressive manner. There was a bit of a metallic tinge to the sound unfortunately, and it could be a little sibilant from time to time. Extension into the upper ranges is ample.

Audio: ★★★★½

Build

I have to say that the build of the T-Peos is very convincing overall. As you’d expect with a premium, flagship model, a carrying pouch is included. This one is leather with a magnetic snap and has the T-Peos name embossed into it. It’s nicely sized and very portable for on the go.

The housings on the T-Peos are machined and constructed out of metal. That said, the housings feel very firm and strong. Two layers of metal are visible on the housing that enclose the three drivers within. The cables disconnect from the housings and have a long strain relief on them. With all said, the housings on the H-200 are resilient and well designed.

As stated, the cable on the H-200 is removable and there are two included in the box. Above the y-split, the cables are identical, just different colored rubber. The cord seems a little thinner than I’d like up here, my only complaint about the H-200’s build. Below the y-split, the red cable continues the rubber scheme. This is a downer for people who require an audio-only cable as the black cable is braided and fabric in this area. The black cable feels stronger than the red, but does have a tendency to tangle.

Terminating either cable is the headphone jack that is angled at the standard 90 degrees. There is a strain relief that comes out of the jack that is amply sized, but some may wish for it to be a little longer. Either way, the strain relief does it’s job well and the gold plating is done to ensure that it resists corrosion.

Build: ★★★★½

Comfort

From both pictures of the housings above, you’ll notice there is an ovular protrusion coming out of the housings. These actually do a great job allowing the H-200 to sit a little more securely in the ear. The T-Peos can be worn up or down as well, but they feel a little better down than up (I still wear up). T-Peos does include various tips with the H-200 to allow you to obtain the proper fit with them. I did run into the issue of driver flex quite a bit on the H-200, more than usual where it could become a slight problem. This issue will be different for everyone though.

Comfort: ★★★★½

Value

The T-Peos can be picked up for 250 bucks. They stand to be a great value in this price range; the quality it offers is up there with the top dogs. The H-200 stands to be one of the best values I can suggest for the price. Not only does it offer top-notch sound quality, it also is built well with overall good comfort; the design isn’t too shabby either. The cables can be swapped in and out so you can go with or without a remote and mic on the fly. T-Peos is also planning on releasing an upgrade, silver cable for use; this can acoustically alter the sound of the IEM.

Value: ★★★★

Final Thoughts

T-Peos may be a newer player in the game of headphones, but they’ve shown, through the H-200, that they can play with the big dogs. And play they will (comparisons to other IEMs to come). It’s built well and very versatile. The T-Peos H-200 offers a sound that the average-Joe, as well as an audiophile, can truly enjoy finding a nice medium between the preferred sounds.

I’d like to thank T-Peos for the product sample.

Overall Score

T-Peos H-200

† All prices are in US currency.
Cumulative scores are rounded to the nearest half or full star.
This accessory, product, or app was received as a sample. Thanks T-Peos for the product sample.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 30
Good stuff Tiny (if I may)!

I like format, looks especially good on the mobile with the very nice pictures providing a wonderful rhythm for the eyes. I like the stars at the end of every section too, cute (in a good way). I see you've chosen a probably less controversial rating system too lol.

I feel like you'll see me disagreeing with you on the design scores and opinions in your reviews though lol. :p
It's a very subjective thing obviously which is the problem, but to a good degree, general understandings have been developed as to good design practices and elements.

Realistically, compared to the best I've seen, it's a 3 at the very most, probably an even middle road 2.5. For all the symmetrical aspects of the design, the visual balance just isn't there and there's no finesse or refinement in the details or proportions. It's very heavy handed. Even your fantastic photos can't save it. Nice case though. Have I mentioned I like your photos?

Good job, once again!

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 30
Very nice and informative review, Tinyman!

Good job! :)

Thanks.

Good stuff Tiny (if I may)!

I like format, looks especially good on the mobile with the very nice pictures providing a wonderful rhythm for the eyes. I like the stars at the end of every section too, cute (in a good way). I see you've chosen a probably less controversial rating system too lol.

I feel like you'll see me disagreeing with you on the design scores and opinions in your reviews though lol. :p
It's a very subjective thing obviously which is the problem, but to a good degree, general understandings have been developed as to good design practices and elements.

Realistically, compared to the best I've seen, it's a 3 at the very most, probably an even middle road 2.5. For all the symmetrical aspects of the design, the visual balance just isn't there and there's no finesse or refinement in the details or proportions. It's very heavy handed. Even your fantastic photos can't save it. Nice case though. Have I mentioned I like your photos?

Good job, once again!

Thanks for the compliments and criticisms on my review. Regarding the design score. The idea of design is essentially based on aesthetics, art if I may. The design aspects come in a wide variety of flavors and shapes. It is inherently subjective by nature. There exists no design for everyone, and everyone will like a different design. I actually do like the design of the IEM. I'm one to be able to respect the minimalists design used in this case.

Yes, it's larger, which may be a problem in terms of comfort.

I do see, and understand the points you make regarding it though.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 30
There's actually no criticism :D I like the review, period.

I was actually thinking of how comfort, ie ergonomics in a less personal sense, and build tie into design as I was writing that, but I agree that separating them out is a better idea.

I like design and talking about it in general so maybe I meant that I'll have stuff to say when you post reviews as opposed to specifically disagreeing. I'm actually really glad you're looking at design as a specific section and assessable criteria. And I'm also one to respect good design even if it's not to my personal taste, which is what you and I are both seeming to say. My gf could not even count the number of times I said I thought something looked great, and then she'd disagree saying something like, "really?? and you'd want that in the house?" and I'd say "heck no, but it'll look good in someone else's."

I got it! Next time, I'll just talk about the design aspect without mentioning anything about scoring since I've just realized that, to me, the score is the least important part of the design section anyway.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:
There's actually no criticism
biggrin.gif
I like the review, period.

I was actually thinking of how comfort, ie ergonomics in a less personal sense, and build tie into design as I was writing that, but I agree that separating them out is a better idea.

I like design and talking about it in general so maybe I meant that I'll have stuff to say when you post reviews as opposed to specifically disagreeing. I'm actually really glad you're looking at design as a specific section and assessable criteria. And I'm also one to respect good design even if it's not to my personal taste, which is what you and I are both seeming to say. My gf could not even count the number of times I said I thought something looked great, and then she'd disagree saying something like, "really?? and you'd want that in the house?" and I'd say "heck no, but it'll look good in someone else's."

Yes, the design of the IEM does go to impact both comfort and build.  They are definitely something that should be filtered out IMO from the aesthetics...  Like dem teens with 'em Beatz would say, they look SO good...  But are built like crap XD  And yes, I agree entirely, even if it's not your personal tastes, a good design is always respectable; so long as it's coherent and works well with itself (IE, no Rastafarian colors :p  JK, it can work in some cases XD). 

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 30
freaking great job, Great review mate, tells so well and owning H200 i agree to your findings. i am also hard pressed to find anything close at this price level.

the only issue i would be more cautious is Fit issue because some users reported problems here. we are perhaps more lucky to find good seal for us but some dudes simply sold out of fit problem despite loving the sound.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:
freaking great job, Great review mate, tells so well and owning H200 i agree to your findings. i am also hard pressed to find anything close at this price level.

the only issue i would be more cautious is Fit issue because some users reported problems here. we are perhaps more lucky to find good seal for us but some dudes simply sold out of fit problem despite loving the sound.

The only issue I ran into regarding fit was driver flex, which stopped the IEM from functioning properly, it's in the comfort section.  There is a way to relieve it though. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 30
Bravo, bravo, Tinyman. :)

Very well written and reflects a lot of what I hear from H-200. While I think the timbre is an acquired taste I think it may help next time if T-Peos could go for something that sounds a little more natural, try and lose that metallic sheen around the upper mids / lower treble. This isn't to say H-200's timbre is bad because it's actually very nice to listen too. it's just a little different from something like Westone 4 or the Ety ER4S' timbre. I agree the balanced armatures on H-200 do share a slight resemblance with the Ety sound, especially when clarity is concerned, but won't sound as natural and some instruments take on some aspects of H-200's timbre rather than display their own.

In saying this though, when I consider price point of H-200 next to something like Westone 4 which I think is a great earphone btw. The T-Peos can punch right up there next to Westone 4, and in some areas such as air, clarity around mids range surpass. I would have no problem saying H-200 can sit next to IEM's almost double the price, but it's really a matter if the signature suits. I said in another thread, if I had $500 and had to buy one IEM for a long time I could easily take H-200 and save $250 being more than happy.. Price to performance ratio is high, build quality is high, and the removable cable option is something we don't see very much in this price range, that along with the hybrid design you have yourself very impressive value for money, especially if upgrade cables and long term durability concern you.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 30
Great review Tinyman.

I'm wondering how these compare to other hybrids. 

Also, how are the microphonics with the braided cable? 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 30
I think the review should get 5 stars as a review.  Informative, concise, laid out well and thoughtful. 

The build quality does seem good but I did have mine go out for repair and there has been some grumbling in the appreciation thread about the right phone albeit nothing consistent or alarming. 

Thanks for taking the time, TM.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:
I think the review should get 5 stars as a review.  Informative, concise, laid out well and thoughtful. 

The build quality does seem good but I did have mine go out for repair and there has been some grumbling in the appreciation thread about the right phone albeit nothing consistent or alarming. 

Thanks for taking the time, TM.

Thanks.  It's too bad yours had to go back to repair.  Hopefully your next pair is less of a lemon. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

I don't have too many other hybrids...  Only AudioFly and Atomic Floyd. 

I know. It was just a passing thought. Hybrids seem to be the newest trend in high end audio, which I happen to like. so I think it would be interesting to see the different spread. Nothing really to do with this review in particular, just something I'd like to see eventually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back