[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Apr 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #451 of 911
These things are Metal monsters! I was just listening to a little Angelo and the bass slam was just awesome
atsmile.gif

Still breaking in and only had them 2 days but I am thoroughly impressed, many thanks to wje for turning me on to these. I have the 668b as well and am really impressed with Superlux, just like my other Superlux these sound awful out of the box but I just load 6 discs in my Onkyo changer and let them play for hours checking in every now and then. Each time there is an incremental improvement in sound. My HD668b's sound very good now and I have a feeling these new ones have even more improvement to go! They say 150-200 hrs and I believe it, they have a completely different sound than the 668b's.

I have the EVO's being fed this way ---> Oppo optical drive feeding a Maverick Audio D2 DAC (tube output) to my JDS Labs O2 using Esoteric Audio Graphis interconnect cable except the digital coax is an Monoprice 102681. Sound is very good. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #452 of 911
Hey, if anyone wants to have some fun with these and gets into metal check out Dream Theater through these on a super clean source. Great bass impact and awesome guitar crunch! I never realized the bass that I was missing out on with my headphones, these headphones sound way better than they should...

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #453 of 911
  I own this HP and i found this great with Movies and Music but not so good with female Vocals IMO...

I listened to Mariah Carey's tracks and i can say that the EVO's and her voice are a good match for me. Nice! 
happy_face1.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #454 of 911
I found when I had just broken them in for around 200 hours, there was some sibilance with female vocals.  But that has settled down now over time. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #455 of 911
No sibilance with mine that I can detect. Mine also didn't need the long break-in times either, I think after 30-40hrs the sound settled in and has remained about the same. I break-in with a wide range of music that consists of loading my Onkyo Integra 6 disc platter with a variety of music and hitting random then repeat and walking away. I let them play overnight then shut down in the morning for quick cool down then back on before I leave for work. I play them just slightly louder than I would normally listen to during the break-in period and it seems to work fantastic. Never used break-in discs or white noise just a wide variety of real music.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #456 of 911
Superlux 681 EVO
+ foam discs mod*
+ OFC low impedance cable
+ 200 hours break-in
= best Superlux all-rounder. Great HP.

(only 32 ohm but definitely benefits from a juicy amp: sounds way better with the O2 vs. the fiio E6)

* foam discs mod explained:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632496/superlux-has-new-headphones-hd662mkii-hd681mkii/135

What cable did you use?

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #457 of 911
Quote:
Superlux 681 EVO
+ foam discs mod*
+ OFC low impedance cable
+ 200 hours break-in
= best Superlux all-rounder. Great HP.

(only 32 ohm but definitely benefits from a juicy amp: sounds way better with the O2 vs. the fiio E6)

* foam discs mod explained:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632496/superlux-has-new-headphones-hd662mkii-hd681mkii/135

Quote:
  What cable did you use?

Jeeez, this post is so old... and i forgot to mention the pads...!
the velour pads have a LOT more impact on SQ/signature then the placebo effect of the cable... 
smile_phones.gif

Regarding the cable, read more at: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/cable_impedance.html
"When cable impedance effects the signal?
In order for a cable's characteristic impedance to make any difference in the way the signal passes through it, the cable must be at least a large fraction of a wavelength long for the particular frequency it is carrying.
Most wires will have a speed of travel for AC current of 60 to 70 percent of the speed of light, or about 195 million meters per second.
An audio frequency of 20,000 Hz has a wavelength of 9,750 meters, so a cable would have to be four or five *kilometers* long before it even began to have an effect on an audio frequency.
That's why the characteristic impedance of audio interconnect cables is not something most of us have anything to worry about."

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #458 of 911
I think this cable thing is each person own to decide. I heard noticeable difference when changing HD-681 and Fidelio X1 stock cables. I have no theory to backup my hearing (except measured impedance of these cables was very high)... but I still trust my ears.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #459 of 911
  I think this cable thing is each person own to decide. I heard noticeable difference when changing HD-681 and Fidelio X1 stock cables. I have no theory to backup my hearing (except measured impedance of these cables was very high)... but I still trust my ears.

pad-rolling has a HUGE objective effect on the signature/presentation.
but, regarding the cable, i still trust me ears too, and that's why i'm taking advantage of the placebo effect myself.
imo, the high quality cables "gospel" is a good thing.
all my cables are 99.99% OFC cupper, have a 2x double shield design, and bla-bla-bla...
i mean, why the heck go without it? everyone should take advantage of the placebo effect if it improves the subjective sound experience. isn't that our goal?

the neverending cable debate... lol

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #460 of 911
Hey guys, I just now decided to try out the velvet pads that came with the package so I took off the vynil ones without problem but now I cant figure out the proper way to set the other ones. Any help? Also some piece of clothing went down when I took off the vynil pads, is that a necessary part of the headphones? Looks weird. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #461 of 911
The new velour pad goes on just like the plether pad, just fit it over the cup making sure it goes into the little opening to secure it. Hold the part that is in-place with your finger and work your way around. Just make sure the edge slips into that little crevasse as you go.
 Align the foam pad before you start, it stayed in place for me as I worked the new pads on. Took me maybe 5 minutes and is very comfortable.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #463 of 911
Ok one question after a few hours of music/movies/gaming, the velvet pads seem to bring out a lot less bass, so ye it seems to be a way different sound. Do you think it's affecting positioning too?

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #464 of 911
IMO, less bass is more clearer in games like BF4 and not to distract much on the explosions and better for positioning.I remember recently playing BF4 in Zavod311. I was outside the walls of Flag A and camping while waiting for someone to get out and ambush him but he is also camping inside but i hear him clearly reloading and surprised him instead. lol 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #465 of 911
OK so I just tried something weird and I'd like some other peoples opinion on that. I basically put the pleather pads on the headphones... but with the velvets one on top of them. They stay in place just well without any fixation and actually go perfectly around my ears. The sound is clear and the confort is INSANE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back