[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #617 of 911

I don't say that they're boring, I just heard that. I'd like to try them. Along with K701 and AD900x.

I have the ATH-AD900 (non X) and it's a great headphone. Masters of detail and really excels with vocals especially female and are fantastic with classical. The reason I don't use mine much is the lack of low end. If you are interested I might be putting mine up for sale on the forums, the problem is every time I do I take one last listen and then end up keeping them. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #618 of 911
I just received my Evo yesterday and been using it extensively for the past 24 hour.

coming from budget IEM, these evo sounded large and wide, treble a little brushed not shiny enough (lol I'm terrible with these terminology but its the closest I can convey), its not harsh thank god! almost no sibilance which is good. oh I love the soundstage. mid and bass are OK. no complain.

less detail than what I hoped for, but they're being picked up effortlessly. I can hear almost 3D character coming from instruments and their location (not 3d enough but its like they're coming out bended, not flat).

I believe the OP assessment are spot on!

also answering my own question from before: my iPhone 5 can drive this 32ohm quite nicely. need to push to 85-90% to to get all the detail. 100% vol would deafen me in no time 

from my Realtek onboard soundcard the volume are bearable and not satisfying. need to invest an amp.

now those bollywood classic collection can finally have their spot. bollywood hits usually accompanied by piercing female voice. now I can enjoy them again and again.

thank you for these thread that helped me narrow my choice.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #619 of 911
  I have the ATH-AD900 (non X) and it's a great headphone. Masters of detail and really excels with vocals especially female and are fantastic with classical. The reason I don't use mine much is the lack of low end. If you are interested I might be putting mine up for sale on the forums, the problem is every time I do I take one last listen and then end up keeping them. 

No matter, I can't afford that. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #620 of 911
  I just received my Evo yesterday and been using it extensively for the past 24 hour.

coming from budget IEM, these evo sounded large and wide, treble a little brushed not shiny enough (lol I'm terrible with these terminology but its the closest I can convey), its not harsh thank god! almost no sibilance which is good. oh I love the soundstage. mid and bass are OK. no complain.

less detail than what I hoped for, but they're being picked up effortlessly. I can hear almost 3D character coming from instruments and their location (not 3d enough but its like they're coming out bended, not flat).

I believe the OP assessment are spot on!

also answering my own question from before: my iPhone 5 can drive this 32ohm quite nicely. need to push to 85-90% to to get all the detail. 100% vol would deafen me in no time 

from my Realtek onboard soundcard the volume are bearable and not satisfying. need to invest an amp.

now those bollywood classic collection can finally have their spot. bollywood hits usually accompanied by piercing female voice. now I can enjoy them again and again.

thank you for these thread that helped me narrow my choice.

If you do one mod to them do the foam mod. I don't solder and am not a DIY type but the foam mod was so easy I had to. It changed the sound in a very good way, goodbye to thick lows and suppressed highs and hello to a much better balanced low end and injected a bit of clarity to the highs.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #621 of 911
thanks for the heads up :D

I did remove the foam yesterday but while testing it with velvet pad. listen to a few song, sounded rather thin, the process of reattaching the pad frustrated me so much that I forgot to test the original pad without the foam.. silly haha.. the velvet pad is nice though..

But I'm going to listen extensively with original setup for a week and engrained my brain with the signature first so I can really appreciate the mod changes. no hurry :wink:

whats your opinion between foam no foam - original and foam no foam on velvet. also people mention AKG pad being the best?

definitely not a bad purchase IMO.. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #622 of 911

I did remove the foam yesterday but while testing it with velvet pad. listen to a few song, sounded rather thin, the process of reattaching the pad frustrated me so much that I forgot to test the original pad without the foam.. silly haha.. the velvet pad is nice though..

But I'm going to listen extensively with original setup for a week and engrained my brain with the signature first so I can really appreciate the mod changes. no hurry :wink:

whats your opinion between foam no foam - original and foam no foam on velvet. also people mention AKG pad being the best?

Pads are very easy to attach, you just have to do this:

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #623 of 911

I removed the black thick felt pad covering the center of the driver and replaced it with a white cotton make up removing pad I stole from my wife. The thinner cotton pad helped with the thick lows and let a bit more highs through. The felt was glued to the driver screen but I just positioned the new pad by hand as I put the velour pad back on. Sounds much better to me. Never tried it without any pad.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #624 of 911
Thanks for the info about the pad attachment technique and also the mod. Will try them soon.

I'm really new into this but it seems that evo excels in complex bollywood track and reggae / dancehall music but album like led zeppelin and nirvana unplugged sounds less fun.

Any of you guys think evo not really all rounder? But I only had this burn around 20-30 hours or so

Edit;
Is it because it's a MONITOR?

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #625 of 911
My EVO's rock out on metal and sound great with most material I've thrown at them. Just gotta keep in mind its a $40.00 headphone right? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #626 of 911
Haha I'm absolutely aware of that fact.

Out of frustration I finally pinch out the foams and listen again.

This time I nearly jump out of my seat thinking is this the same headphone I'm hearing? Kurt's voice now sound sweeter and fuller. Like the veil of the stage suddenly lifted. What sorcery is this?

However further listening I realize that the sound is losing it's grittiness and soundstage losing some focus. I'm not sure weather I like it now or before. It more fun now and over various song the vocals are smoother. But I also miss the analytical edge.

Man I gave up. Hahaha.

All things people said and claim in this thread from page one are credible it's freaky (in a good way). It's late night in my timezone (+8) and I really need to catch some sleep.

I guess I'l just shut down for now and enjoy the can, and good music of course.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #627 of 911
Try a thin cotton pad over the area where the felt was, leaving it completely open may be too much. I found the pad right in my wife's bathroom she had a bag that said 100% cotton makeup removing pads. Who new they'd work great in a headphone! I stole two and tried them and think it sounds light years better than it did stock. Also back in this forum I believe they discuss the mod in-depth. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #628 of 911
After mastering the art of pad rolling (lol) and testing it again and again on-off-foam-velour-pleather combinations I can conclude that I like it better with original pleather without the foam.

It removes all the fuzziness that been bugging me from the start. Bass tighten up a bit. Everything seems faster now with better dynamics. Sound fuller and colder than before. Ayo, Mo Kalamity & Tanya Stephens voice truly shines... Soo sweet oh my gosh...

The velour pad gave me sibilance. I have no idea why but tested with my usual suspects of sibilant prone track; Sting - desert rose, RURUTIA -Lost Butterfly and Liza Hanim - Senyum tak berbalas, the two pad contrasting each other. Even without foam pleather pad don't cause sibilance.

On the other hand I need to test for myself replacement for the removed foam to tame the slight piercing in the upper range. Hopefully will also fix the soundstage missing airy.

Well this is fun XD

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #629 of 911
After mastering the art of pad rolling (lol) and testing it again and again on-off-foam-velour-pleather combinations I can conclude that I like it better with original pleather without the foam.

It removes all the fuzziness that been bugging me from the start. Bass tighten up a bit. Everything seems faster now with better dynamics. Sound fuller and colder than before. Ayo, Mo Kalamity & Tanya Stephens voice truly shines... Soo sweet oh my gosh...

The velour pad gave me sibilance. I have no idea why but tested with my usual suspects of sibilant prone track; Sting - desert rose, RURUTIA -Lost Butterfly and Liza Hanim - Senyum tak berbalas, the two pad contrasting each other. Even without foam pleather pad don't cause sibilance.

On the other hand I need to test for myself replacement for the removed foam to tame the slight piercing in the upper range. Hopefully will also fix the soundstage missing airy.

Well this is fun XD

I agree with using pleather pad more comfort and no harsh and sibilance with my evo, anyway do you mean the foam are the pad cover or the other one behind that (smaller)?

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #630 of 911
I mean the one easily replaceable. I didn't open the glued one yet. Not while I'm still enjoying them at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back