REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #92 of 484
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any change of getting your hands on some Mapletree Audio Design amps?

Gosh I would love too - are they still in production?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #93 of 484
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh I would love too - are they still in production?

They are very much in production. D. Pepperd I think has two models, the High Definition and the Super. So I guess they are still going strong.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #94 of 484
Cool, I will see if I can get a loaner to review.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #95 of 484
Hi Skylab
I having a tough time choosing between the Mingda MC84C07 and the Audiotailor Jade.
I plan to use the amp with my HD650 maybe add a DT880/600ohm down the line but what I'm worried about is the issue that both amps have with issue with low impedance headphones.
Right now beside from HD650 I have a pair of K701/62ohms, SR80/32ohms and M50/38ohms that I am current pair with the iBasso D10.
I was wondering if the Audiotailor Jade would have any hum issues driving low impedance headphones like the MC84C07 with headphones with lower than 250ohms?
Second, I was wondering if you have done a official review of the Mingda MC84C07 because I can't fine a full review just little bits here and there?

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #96 of 484
Just chime in since i went through the same process. I got the Jade instead so i dont have to worry about the hizz or hum with low impedance cans. I got HD650 and AKG271s, and so far pretty happy with the Jade, no hiss or hum on both cans.
Cheers,
AP

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #97 of 484
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Skylab
I having a tough time choosing between the Mingda MC84C07 and the Audiotailor Jade.
I plan to use the amp with my HD650 maybe add a DT880/600ohm down the line but what I'm worried about is the issue that both amps have with issue with low impedance headphones.
Right now beside from HD650 I have a pair of K701/62ohms, SR80/32ohms and M50/38ohms that I am current pair with the iBasso D10.
I was wondering if the Audiotailor Jade would have any hum issues driving low impedance headphones like the MC84C07 with headphones with lower than 250ohms?
Second, I was wondering if you have done a official review of the Mingda MC84C07 because I can't fine a full review just little bits here and there?

I think the Jade would be a better choice in your case - it does seem to handle lower impedance headphones better.

I did not do a full review of the Ming-Da - I bought that amp just for my enjoyment. And all you have to do is look at what's going on in the thread of my review of the Senn HD800 to see why I sometimes prefer NOT to review things I buy for pleasure
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #98 of 484
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not do a full review of the Ming-Da - I bought that amp just for my enjoyment. And all you have to do is look at what's going on in the thread of my review of the Senn HD800 to see why I sometimes prefer NOT to review things I buy for pleasure
wink.gif

I understand where you coming from, it becomes really hard and not as fun to enjoy something when you have to start nitpicking at something so bought solely for pleasure.
Yes, I saw the HD800 review thread and I read your review of it twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything. By the end of it I was like wow, I was really hoping that you would backup the claims and raved reviews of the HD800 as other user have done and that their has been a holy grail of all headphones but I am relieved now that I have a honest view of the characteristic of the HD800.
Because I have listened to both the HD580 and HD650 I found the HD580 to boring for my taste and HD650 just gives it that extra punch in the bass just to give the music some extra flavor just the way I like it. So I guess I won't be giving up my kidney for a pair HD800 anytime soon.

Skylab I was wondering from your experience which of the two amps would have wider sound stage and better treble extension?
Second which one of the two amps would drive the HD650 better to their full potential?

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #99 of 484
Quote:

Skylab I was wondering from your experience which of the two amps would have wider sound stage and better treble extension?
Second which one of the two amps would drive the HD650 better to their full potential?

I think the Jade has both the wider soundstage and the better treble extension. Where the Ming-Da wins is in soundstage depth, and in it's generally very musical and engaging nature.

I never listened to the HD650 on either, though, so cannot help there, sorry.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #101 of 484
Width is from left to right. Depth is from the center of your head forward. Height is from top to bottom. This is the illusion of a 3 D headscape.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #102 of 484
Right!

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #103 of 484
Hmmm, that is very interesting the mingda sounds more of the amp I am looking for and I'll just power my lower impedance amp with my D10.
Now I just need to get the funds.
Thank for all the help Skylab.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #104 of 484
Quote:

Hmmm, that is very interesting the mingda sounds more of the amp I am looking for and I'll just power my lower impedance amp with my D10.
Now I just need to get the funds.
Thank for all the help Skylab.

You could just use an impedance adapter with your lower impedance cans. I've had great results with mine with not any loss in sound quality(that I can hear). So you can have your cake and eat it too. Heck I even enjoy my etymotic er4s out the the mingda using a 300 ohm adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back