Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Aug 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,201 of 2,566
Quote:
I'm glad you finally received them! Can we have some more impressions on the sound? Soundstage/imaging/seperation etc? 
Also, how do you like them compared to the gmp 835Ds?

It is I believe still early for a serious review but so far, my impressions are as follows: GMP 8.35D is a little diamond that pretty much nobody knows, their value is excellent and what those monitors can do is really extreme for their price. What SE5way adds is: scaling up everything a lot better (I mean A LOT), adding extreme transparency, dynamics, micro details with perfect extensions in both sides. The magical point is, while doing that, it never loses it's perfect balance and realistic sound reproduction. Their attack and decay is exceptional, doesn't matter your music genre, they never lose their control in the music.

Seperation, they both do awesome job but SE5way brings much more detail and it helps you to separate the instruments better in your head. Soundstage, it all depends on your track. If your track has a small one, there is not a huge difference between them, I can still say SE5way reaches further but it is not like day and night. However if your track is well mastered, you will the difference. As far as imaging goes, I found them both excellent honestly, but as I said, SE5way's ability to create microdetails and the transparency it gives is just making a huge difference. Also SE5way has a lot more extension. Bass is completely neutral and it has such a nice rumble, probably it couldn't be better. treble is so realistic, you feel the air. All and all, those factors are helping to get a better imagination.

Hope this helps mate. I just don't want to take them out of my ears and never stop the music. Too bad that time to time, I have to talk with my girlfriend
happy_face1.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,202 of 2,566
Quote:
Nice impressions. Makes me look forward to hearing them even more :).

Thank you Lee. I am no where professional reviewer or someone with a lot of high end stuff to compare and often have troubles to describe what I am hearing in English (not my native language). That post really took my time to write. I didn't want to write something wrong, I tried to explain what I am hearing. I hope they are accurate and I didn't make a mistake.

As I am jumping through different genres, these monitors keep on surprising me. Marvelous work by Grzegorz.

Btw, as I mentioned him I should add, he was extremely helpful with me. Answering all of my questions with perfect explanations. I have no complains about his service. Things couldn't be better with him I guess.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,203 of 2,566
Quote:
It is I believe still early for a serious review but so far, my impressions are as follows: GMP 8.35D is a little diamond that pretty much nobody knows, their value is excellent and what those monitors can do is really extreme for their price. What SE5way adds is: scaling up everything a lot better (I mean A LOT), adding extreme transparency, dynamics, micro details with perfect extensions in both sides. The magical point is, while doing that, it never loses it's perfect balance and realistic sound reproduction. Their attack and decay is exceptional, doesn't matter your music genre, they never lose their control in the music.

Seperation, they both do awesome job but SE5way brings much more detail and it helps you to separate the instruments better in your head. Soundstage, it all depends on your track. If your track has a small one, there is not a huge difference between them, I can still say SE5way reaches further but it is not like day and night. However if your track is well mastered, you will the difference. As far as imaging goes, I found them both excellent honestly, but as I said, SE5way's ability to create microdetails and the transparency it gives is just making a huge difference. Also SE5way has a lot more extension. Bass is completely neutral and it has such a nice rumble, probably it couldn't be better. treble is so realistic, you feel the air. All and all, those factors are helping to get a better imagination.

Hope this helps mate. I just don't want to take them out of my ears and never stop the music. Too bad that time to time, I have to talk with my girlfriend
happy_face1.gif

That sounds pretty amazing actually. The gmp 8.35D does so much things right, it's still the best closed headphone i've heard below €300. That these cIEMs can compete, and even excel passed the 8.35D is pretty amazing. Just you wait until you have a good dac/amp combo! 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,204 of 2,566
Quote:
That sounds pretty amazing actually. The gmp 8.35D does so much things right, it's still the best closed headphone i've heard below €300. That these cIEMs can compete, and even excel passed the 8.35D is pretty amazing. Just you wait until you have a good dac/amp combo! 

My SE5 sometimes sounds even better than my LCD 3 on desktop system. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,205 of 2,566
After using them something like 6 hours with only 1 break for about 10 15 minutes, I can say that, I didn't feel/hear anything better. It is also incredible that all this magic comes from a budget source.

About comfort, well after 6 hours I felt like it could be good idea to take them out and let me ears rest a bit. The fit is perfect and whatever I do, I just can't break the seal. Eat, talk, move around, headbang, sing etc. Nothing breaks the seal. I am not sure I would want an acrylic ciem from now on. Silicone earpieces are comfortable as hell.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,206 of 2,566
Quote:

Yeah, now my wallet is kinda empty and I will still buy something, a drier box. I want to keep them as clean as possible. I don't want anything bad happens to these monitors, I don't think I can spend a day without listening to them now.

Also I am considering buying a Pelican case, even though Otterbox is getting easier to open and close, for future I might need something that I can put both my monitors and a dap.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,207 of 2,566
Quote:

I'd sure hope so. Personally my 1Plus2 and Sui are noticeably better than the W3000 ANV ($1,300 headphone) and modded open back Denon 5000s ($500 to $600). Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my money on such purchases. The technology for IEMs has really come a long way where even universal TOTL IEMs are competing with TOTL headphones in many regards (even sound staging!).

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,208 of 2,566
Quote:

I'd sure hope so. Personally my 1Plus2 and Sui are noticeably better than the W3000 ANV ($1,300 headphone) and modded open back Denon 5000s ($500 to $600). Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my money on such purchases. The technology for IEMs has really come a long way where even universal TOTL IEMs are competing with TOTL headphones in many regards (even sound staging!).

Yeah, I'm actually surprised in many ways at how flawed the midtier (+-$500) headphones could be. When I got into head-fi, I was sure an open headphone priced above €300 would surely be eargasm worthy. After owning both the HD650 and the hifiman HE400 I'm actually pretty disappointed in them. In headphones it always seems there is some area that's just lacking, in order to strengthen other areas. For instance, the HE400 had amazing bass/imaging/soundstage/detail, but the mids were lacking, and the treble was sharp as a katana. Maybe cIEMs don't necessarily need to give up quality in some areas because the 'load' is spread over multiple drivers. Anyway, I'm very curious to see how the BA4 will perform compared to the headphones (and speakers) I've owned.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,209 of 2,566
Quote:
My SE5 sometimes sounds even better than my LCD 3 on desktop system. 
biggrin.gif

That's crazy! 

I once listened to the LCD2 and LCD3, but found them way too warm sounding. Very good, but also far, far from neutral due to the bass boost. However, I think you can safely say, that the lcd3 is by far the most sophisticated and overal best basshead can out there :D

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,210 of 2,566
Quote:
Yeah, I'm actually surprised in many ways at how flawed the midtier (+-$500) headphones could be. When I got into head-fi, I was sure an open headphone priced above €300 would surely be eargasm worthy. After owning both the HD650 and the hifiman HE400 I'm actually pretty disappointed in them. In headphones it always seems there is some area that's just lacking, in order to strengthen other areas. For instance, the HE400 had amazing bass/imaging/soundstage/detail, but the mids were lacking, and the treble was sharp as a katana. Maybe cIEMs don't necessarily need to give up quality in some areas because the 'load' is spread over multiple drivers. Anyway, I'm very curious to see how the BA4 will perform compared to the headphones (and speakers) I've owned.

You also have to factor in the sources you are using to drive those headphones. It can all add up to make for a excellent experience or a mediocre one. Synergy is also key as well as driving the headphone to its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back