[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #424 of 3,824
Forgot to mention.. the isolation is insanely good.. and the included tips are wonderful.  Hell, I'd pay $20 just for the tips 
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #425 of 3,824
Sigh....hate the waiting game for these.  Ordered a week ago and it will probably be more than a week before I get them.  Gotta love being in the land down under when it comes to overseas shipping.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #428 of 3,824
Quote:
I heard it's the XBA-3.
Ordered one after hearing the MH1c.

Oh right. 
Can this be worn over ear? I don't like the shape of the housings to be fair as my outer ear is very narrow so it don't go along with quite a lot of the iems around. 

Anyway back on topic, is there an IEM you've heard that you can compare the MH1's soundstage to?''

Was that directed to me??
MH1's soundstage. It's ever so slightly smaller (or more narrow) than the phonak 112. It's definitely less expansive than the fisher dba02mkII. Bigger than both the grado gr8 and the re-zero. I prefer this sound from this IEM over a burned in fisher dba 02mkII- much more balanced, with a great bass response and a lot more tamer in the highs. Fantastic in other areas.

This is a crazily good IEM. Easily beats the philips she3590 BUT would I recommend it over the philips in its current form?? 
No.
The wire is that bad. I mean I could wear the right side over ear and it fits fine. It feels secure and the microphonics on this side are non existent as a result. BUT the design of the iem's wire doesn't let you do this with the left side (stinking microphone and shorter length of cable after the L/R split. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #429 of 3,824
Quote:
Forgot to mention.. the isolation is insanely good.. and the included tips are wonderful.  Hell, I'd pay $20 just for the tips 
wink_face.gif

This is true! It's the first time I'm actually using stock silicone tips from any IEM I own, and I find they're really good, both for fit, isolation and comfort! My pair is just starting to burn-in, but from the little I've heared from them so far, these are impressive little things for what they cost! Like you also said, I just find the cable to suck big time. It's definitely their weakest point. The flat cable is awefull, and the J-cord and controls hanging there just make it way worse...

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #432 of 3,824
Quote:

This is true! It's the first time I'm actually using stock silicone tips from any IEM I own, and I find they're really good, both for fit, isolation and comfort! My pair is just starting to burn-in, but from the little I've heared from them so far, these are impressive little things for what they cost! Like you also said, I just find the cable to suck big time. It's definitely their weakest point. The flat cable is awefull, and the J-cord and controls hanging there just make it way worse...

The engineer agrees.
He mentions that picking that design was fashion related at the time and they are indeed the weakest point of the MH1c.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #433 of 3,824
'J cord'

That's what they call it!!
I remember one of my first earphones was the one that came with the samsung d500 (remember that phone?!). It was the first AND last 'j corded' earrphones i've had (until this sony showed up). You know what, I reckon that the designers knew it's a barmy idea, but it's something different so it should sell well. 'Designed to be different' sort of thing. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #435 of 3,824
'J cord'

That's what they call it!!
I remember one of my first earphones was the one that came with the samsung d500 (remember that phone?!). It was the first AND last 'j corded' earrphones i've had (until this sony showed up). You know what, I reckon that the designers knew it's a barmy idea, but it's something different so it should sell well. 'Designed to be different' sort of thing. 

....or you can call it asymmetrical cable, probably more formal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back