[REVIEW]: Sensaphonics dB Check In-Ear Level Analyzer: You Only Need It If You Have Ears!
Apr 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Would that it were so simple! But it's not.

Ambient, open-air level measurements are pretty easy. In-ear, not so much.

I could offer some knowledge of the difficulties involved, but I'm not a scientist or engineer, and don't want to get out of my depth. It's easier and more accurate to note that -- considering all the media hype about kids and portable audio devices -- if this problem were trivial, it would have been addressed by now, either by Apple or another cell phone maker, by another IEM manufacturer, or by an app developer.

I take your first point about the difficulties involved. Plus, I'm way way out of my wheelhouse on the issue.

Your second point about media spotlight on “protecting kids” is a bit of a stretch (me think). I live in the United States of (by...) America (the land of Sandy Hook, Deepwater Horizon, and “get out of here with climate change”. Europe put volume limits on music players and we (in America) are pumping it up. How hard is volume limits? I expect Apple to do what is in the corporate interest of Apple. That concludes my political rant and back to the scheduled topic in progress.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

I take your first point about the difficulties involved. Plus, I'm way way out of my wheelhouse on the issue.

Your second point about media spotlight on “protecting kids” is a bit of a stretch (me think). I live in the United States of (by...) America (the land of Sandy Hook, Deepwater Horizon, and “get out of here with climate change”. Europe put volume limits on music players and we (in America) are pumping it up. How hard is volume limits? I expect Apple to do what is in the corporate interest of Apple. That concludes my political rant and back to the scheduled topic in progress.

Quite true, truckdriver. Limiting at the source can guarantee safety, but only for the device in question. Look at the number of people using amps/preamps/DACs in addition to their iPod/PC/smartphone sound source. Not to mention the extreme volume differences between earphone models. I can assure you that there are plenty of Europeans endangering their hearing health.

Sensaphonics cares deeply about this topic. And yes, we've offered the technology to the obvious corporate giants to no avail. You can lead a horse to water, and all that. So we continue to serve the needs of our customers, awaiting the day when some company gets dragged into court for destroying the hearing of the litigious -- something I firmly believe it will happen. I's just a question of when.

Perhaps then they will see the light.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
Quite true, truckdriver. Limiting at the source can guarantee safety, but only for the device in question. Look at the number of people using amps/preamps/DACs in addition to their iPod/PC/smartphone sound source. Not to mention the extreme volume differences between earphone models. I can assure you that there are plenty of Europeans endangering their hearing health.

Sensaphonics cares deeply about this topic. And yes, we've offered the technology to the obvious corporate giants to no avail. You can lead a horse to water, and all that. So we continue to serve the needs of our customers, awaiting the day when some company gets dragged into court for destroying the hearing of the litigious -- something I firmly believe it will happen. I's just a question of when.

Perhaps then they will see the light.

Ye, but 300$, cmon man for that money u can buy sick ass headphones with amp and listen at low levels.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
Ye, but 300$, cmon man for that money u can buy sick ass headphones with amp and listen at low levels.

The dB Check in-ear level analyzer is what it is -- an evidence-based tool to determine how loud you are listening, and how long your can safely do so. The alternative is to visit the rare audiologist who has a (far more expensive) probe mic system to take live in-ear readings.

Sensaphonics has no problem with people whose priorities lie elsewhere - especially if they are listening at safe levels. We're big believers in personal freedom.

May 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #20 of 23
BTW, there's a Facebook promotion for Better Hearing Month (May). Like the Sensaphonics page, Share the contest post, and you're entered in a drawing to win a dB Check and 2X-S CIEM (total retail value $1050).

Linky: https://www.facebook.com/Sensaphonics

May 9, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 23
  It's a good concept, but wouldn't the safe bet be to just turn your music down?

For me, at least, it was a real eye-opener to see exactly what was "too loud" and what was "safe" with my own music, my own gear, and my own earphones in real time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back