Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Apr 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #226 of 436
  That's the great thing about the Sensaphonics sleeves, when they do wear out (and I expect t get a couple of years out of them), chuck 'em and get a new pair for $150 - not so easy or cheap getting CIEMs re-sleeved

Getting a CIEM reshell isn't that expensive either, maybe even cheaper than buying a Sensaphonics Sleeve. 

May 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #229 of 436
I thought Earwerkz charges $250?

Jack Vang, CEO of EarWerkz explained to me that the $250 charge was a one time deal for one customer.  Here is the breakdown of the current EarWerkz reshelling prices (depends on model needing the reshelling):

Supra 2: $175

EW-3: $225

EW-4: $250

EW-5: $275

Penta: $350

EW-6: $300

Legend R: $350

Jack says to me that they have to rebuild the entire CIEM with new crossovers and their proprietary faceplate.  It's more work than building a new one since they have to refurbish all of the drivers as well and replace them if they're not up to spec.

May 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #230 of 436
Amusingly, I discovered that I could wear the wires "down" instead of over the ears (where I was getting some microphonic due to the wires rubbing on my glasses' earpieces).  I just revolved the wires around (they swivel) when inserting the Sensaphonics and the wires drop down.  With the memory wire they just curl and drop.  And the fit is so good that they don't need the wires to stay in my ear.  Best thing I've discovered since I took the filters out of my 846s and got the actual sound of the iems without "tuning."  Gotta say the cost of these things is more than worth it in better fit, better sound (which comes from better fit) and the end of the search for perfect tips.  

I do get some noise if I walk directly into the wind on a windy day- it seems a bit more apparent than when using tips.  When walking with the wind coming from behind me no noise at all.  Must be the shape of the sleeves vs. the shape of the tips (being smaller).  

May 6, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #231 of 436
I am considering buying these, but I am 14 years old and I have read that the ear canals can change quite a bit in my age. Do you guys think these would fit and isolate well anyway? Please let me know if you have any tips.

May 6, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #232 of 436
Amusingly, I discovered that I could wear the wires "down" instead of over the ears (where I was getting some microphonic due to the wires rubbing on my glasses' earpieces).  I just revolved the wires around (they swivel) when inserting the Sensaphonics and the wires drop down.  With the memory wire they just curl and drop.  And the fit is so good that they don't need the wires to stay in my ear.  Best thing I've discovered since I took the filters out of my 846s and got the actual sound of the iems without "tuning."  Gotta say the cost of these things is more than worth it in better fit, better sound (which comes from better fit) and the end of the search for perfect tips.  

I do get some noise if I walk directly into the wind on a windy day- it seems a bit more apparent than when using tips.  When walking with the wind coming from behind me no noise at all.  Must be the shape of the sleeves vs. the shape of the tips (being smaller).  

Could you please post pictures of your wires "down" and the SCS in your ears?

I am considering buying these, but I am 14 years old and I have read that the ear canals can change quite a bit in my age. Do you guys think these would fit and isolate well anyway? Please let me know if you have any tips.

I believe I have an answer that is sufficient for you, but I will update with an "official" answer - hopefully by tomorrow.

May 6, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #233 of 436
Frankly I think you will need to get them remake every 6 months at your age. My audiologist told me if I lose or gain 15lbs. I would need to get New impressions.

At your age, that's when growth spurt begins for most people...

May 6, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #234 of 436
Frankly I think you will need to get them remake every 6 months at your age. My audiologist told me if I lose or gain 15lbs. I would need to get New impressions.

Yeah, that was my concern. I live in Norway and due to shipping and customs etc. it would be quite expensive to buy these... so I don't know if it's worth it, but I think I will talk to an audiologist. 

May 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #235 of 436
Could you please post pictures of your wires "down" and the SCS in your ears?

rolleyes.gif
  You know the pictures you posted of the wires over your ears?  Just turn the wires around so they face forward with the U of the memory wire now facing forward towards your front instead of backwards over your ears.  Since the wires swivel in the iems I often had to move them once I had the sleeves inserted in my ears and one time I just left them facing the "wrong way."  It's not as clean looking as having them behind your ears, but for us glasses-wearers it can make a real difference.  You can tighten the memory wire U's to make them fit closer if need be.  

Just try it the next time you put yours in.  

May 6, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #236 of 436

At your age, that's when growth spurt begins for most people...

Yeah, that was my concern. I live in Norway and due to shipping and customs etc. it would be quite expensive to buy these... so I don't know if it's worth it, but I think I will talk to an audiologist. 

Regarding your ear canals potentially changing due to age, Claudia from Sensaphonics says: "This question is answered best by the audiologist. At 14 you are really at an in between age, the weight fluctuates, growth spurts happen so they will more than likely  have to get new sleeves in a year or so. It is really hard to say when it comes to teenagers. They will get a a good seal but for how long is really the question."

I would say that 14 is usually an age where you will grow in weight, sometimes substantially, but once your weight is managed in the future, you shouldn't have much issue with the SCS.

As for if the SCS is worth it, that would be entirely up to you, but I would revisit the SCS/custom option in a few years or when your weight is more or less "stabilized".  Based on the IEM list in your profile (Shure SE215 and Shure SE846), you should try the Westone TRUE-FIT + STAR Fit Kit and/or SpinFit tips that fit the Shure/Westone/simliar bore models.  If you want more info regarding the SpinFits, send me a PM.

rolleyes.gif
  You know the pictures you posted of the wires over your ears?  Just turn the wires around so they face forward with the U of the memory wire now facing forward towards your front instead of backwards over your ears.  Since the wires swivel in the iems I often had to move them once I had the sleeves inserted in my ears and one time I just left them facing the "wrong way."  It's not as clean looking as having them behind your ears, but for us glasses-wearers it can make a real difference.  You can tighten the memory wire U's to make them fit closer if need be.  

Just try it the next time you put yours in.  

rolleyes.gif
  I know you just don't want to show pictures of the wires because it probably looks...interesting - let alone, show any pictures of the SCS (currently) as I wanted you to post in a previous request. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Just kidding...no worries though. 

As for the memory wire, I prefer my new Silver Litz cable (will post in a review) that does not contain a memory wire, and the sheath is curved on its own.  The right angle connector and the resulting slimmer cable profile is more comfortable as a result.

May 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #238 of 436

@moedawg140 I am not really sure what I am gonna do
confused.gif
. I may pick up the spinfit or similar, but I am really tempted to try the custom...

If you have money to spend, you can try to go the custom route if you want, but sizes-fit-all tips would be the most fiscally advisable route.  The SpinFit tips really do feel great for the price.  The Westone sample pack is great because there should be tips that will fit you since there are 5 different size tips in silicone and foam.  The SCS really does fit me very well (perfectly), but my weight only fluctuates when I cut weight for National wrestling (real) championships (~20 pounds).  Even then, I'm able to fit the SCS without any issues.

Good luck to you!

May 6, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #239 of 436

If you have money to spend, you can try to go the custom route if you want, but sizes-fit-all tips would be the most fiscally advisable route.  The SpinFit tips really do feel great for the price.  The Westone sample pack is great because there should be tips that will fit you since there are 5 different size tips in silicone and foam.  The SCS really does fit me very well (perfectly), but my weight only fluctuates when I cut weight for National wrestling (real) championships (~20 pounds).  Even then, I'm able to fit the SCS without any issues.

Good luck to you!

I was allowed to use my birthday money on this, so I think I am going to take a gamble
wink_face.gif
 but thank you so much for all your tips
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #240 of 436

I was allowed to use my birthday money on this, so I think I am going to take a gamble
wink_face.gif
 but thank you so much for all your tips
biggrin.gif

No worries.  Good luck and take care.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back