Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Apr 14, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #196 of 436
Go for it - unlike the foamies, these don't go soft and squishy when exposed to sweat (and lose seal) and they are much better at keeping sweat/contamination out, godsend for gym rats

Is it just me or do the guys wearing the big full size cans (headphones) look ridiculous?

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #197 of 436
  Yep. I've not got the courage to wear them in the gym yet. However I have seen another pair floating around and even seen a guy wearing TH900s.

In my opinion, the SCS is the epitome of gym and workout friendly custom sleeves and add ons to an IEM, as sweat shouldn't get near the ear canal.  I have pictures and explanations of one of my experiences in the "Sweat Is Conquered:" portion of the review.

Go for it - unlike the foamies, these don't go soft and squishy when exposed to sweat (and lose seal) and they are much better at keeping sweat/contamination out, godsend for gym rats

Is it just me or do the guys wearing the big full size cans (headphones) look ridiculous?

The SCS is definitely the most useful I've experienced for working out.

As for the people who wear the full size headphones looking ridiculous, I would just say different strokes for different folks.  With the SCS, I don't have to worry about the ear or headphones slipping off of my ears or my head due to the accumulation of sweat or excessive movement.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #199 of 436
Apr 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #200 of 436
Mine just arrived.  Lubed 'em up a slight bit with hearing-aid goo and slipped 'em in.  Perfect fit.  I got the clears 'cause I walk with mine and clear matches the 846 AND doesn't draw attention.  Stealth iems.

Sound is very good.  I'm not noticing muddy bass as some suggested.  If anything it may be a bit clearer (Pono using balanced cable).  I do seem to have a bit more sparkle in the uppers.  Probably because I was using Comply Pros and they muffle top end a bit.  Blued modded filters on the 846.

Of course I had just gotten back from a walk when they arrived, so I'm sitting here listening.  Tomorrow they'l get a real-world test.  

When I called Claudia last week to see when they would be shipped, she told me Weds ship and Fri arrive (I paid for two-day shipping) and here they are on time.  

My impressions reached them April 1st and they came back on the 17th.  So slightly more than two weeks but factor in the weekends and that's very quick turnaround.  

gs1000.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #203 of 436
Did you remove the foam from your white filters?

I'm not sure who your post was directed to since I did not see a quote or a mention of a person's name, but the white filters do not have foam dampers installed, meaning there is no foam damper to remove because it does not have any installed. That said, I remember reading a post where a person modded a blue/black nozzle insert/filter and kept it in the white filter for "safe keeping".

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #206 of 436
  Mine just arrived.  Lubed 'em up a slight bit with hearing-aid goo and slipped 'em in.  Perfect fit.  I got the clears 'cause I walk with mine and clear matches the 846 AND doesn't draw attention.  Stealth iems.

Sound is very good.  I'm not noticing muddy bass as some suggested.  If anything it may be a bit clearer (Pono using balanced cable).  I do seem to have a bit more sparkle in the uppers.  Probably because I was using Comply Pros and they muffle top end a bit.  Blued modded filters on the 846.

Of course I had just gotten back from a walk when they arrived, so I'm sitting here listening.  Tomorrow they'l get a real-world test.  

When I called Claudia last week to see when they would be shipped, she told me Weds ship and Fri arrive (I paid for two-day shipping) and here they are on time.  

My impressions reached them April 1st and they came back on the 17th.  So slightly more than two weeks but factor in the weekends and that's very quick turnaround.  

gs1000.gif

Nice impressions, thank you.  Glad you got the hearing aid lubrication working for you.  The other lubrication that was advised (both the Oto-Ease and Pjur were recommended), is a multi purpose lubricant, as any water-based lubricant is best for silicone (not baby oil, Vaseline, etcetera).

Could you post a pic/some pics of your SCS?

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #207 of 436
My biggest concern with the clears was yellowing and looking like some old lady's dentures after awhile - Sensaphonics says it can happen at random, but doesn't occur with the "crystal" colors - that's all I needed to make a decision.

As far as "stealth" I don't think anyone really cares, they can see you have something jammed in your ears

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #208 of 436
  My biggest concern with the clears was yellowing and looking like some old lady's dentures after awhile - Sensaphonics says it can happen at random, but doesn't occur with the "crystal" colors - that's all I needed to make a decision.

As far as "stealth" I don't think anyone really cares, they can see you have something jammed in your ears

Mine turned pink after a while. Sensaphonics stated this a while back that clear ones tend to turn pink instead of yellow. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #209 of 436

Mine turned pink after a while. Sensaphonics stated this a while back that clear ones tend to turn pink instead of yellow. 

Yeah, that was why I went with the Crystal colors because I saw the clear sleeves in person right before getting my impressions done, and the clear sleeves were a yellow, rusty color.  Explained that in the review as well. It seems like Monty's clear SCS hasn't discolored yet, so that's a positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back