Review: Radius HP-TWF21 (aka W n°2)
Mar 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
i was hoping for more treble from the W2. coming from grado's the W2 I've preordered will probably sound like it has recessed treble, hopefully not though.

To get Grado treble you'd probably have to go BA rather than dynamic (with a few exceptions) but I hope you like the W2 anyway. They're not Grado-like but still simple, unabashed fun.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:

To get Grado treble you'd probably have to go BA rather than dynamic (with a few exceptions) but I hope you like the W2 anyway. They're not Grado-like but still simple, unabashed fun.

I expect I will like them. I much like the Brainwavs M2 and it sounds like the W2 will be a step up in similar sound  (plus I can always just ad a bit of treble in the EQ anyway which i do with the M2 occasionally.)

May 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #20 of 35
Thanks for the review. I just got these and I find the bass quite muddy but I'm quite sure it will tighten after a few days of burn-in. I used to have the older DDM's and I found they had quite a clean sound for most types of music. The bass was soft and detailed but when called for the punch was okay but not great. I would expect something similiar from these as the burn-in proceeds.

May 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 35
Bass will settle. no worries, give them at least 50 hours. I find them very natural after burn in, bass is still great but no overhelming.

May 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I just got these and I find the bass quite muddy but I'm quite sure it will tighten after a few days of burn-in. I used to have the older DDM's and I found they had quite a clean sound for most types of music. The bass was soft and detailed but when called for the punch was okay but not great. I would expect something similiar from these as the burn-in proceeds.

I wouldn't expect more bass power out of the W21 compared to the old DDM but the control and clarity should at least be on-par after a while.

May 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
I wouldn't expect more bass power out of the W21 compared to the old DDM but the control and clarity should at least be on-par after a while.

I agree.  

I have to admit I did enjoy my short stint w/ the DDM2 more so than the last version.  A few things put me off to the original.  Such as grainier mids and some odd issues w/ the crossover.  I didn't have as much of a problem fitting the DDM2 versus the original but the improvement did little for improving comfort or isolation from recollection.  Certainly still not strengths of either generation.  Sound wise, I did find the DDM2 to have a better balance overall w/ a more refined sound sig and better clarity and presence in the upper registers.  I would certainly prefer it over the original but whether it is worth almost twice the price is another question for the individual buyer to answer.

To summarize.  I felt lukewarm about the original DDM but I am a fan of the DDM2.  I would say it does deliver for it's price but does not punch above it's weight class.   

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
I agree.  

I have to admit I did enjoy my short stint w/ the DDM2 more so than the last version.  A few things put me off to the original.  Such as grainier mids and some odd issues w/ the crossover.  I didn't have as much of a problem fitting the DDM2 versus the original but the improvement did little for improving comfort or isolation from recollection.  Certainly still not strengths of either generation.  Sound wise, I did find the DDM2 to have a better balance overall w/ a more refined sound sig and better clarity and presence in the upper registers.  I would certainly prefer it over the original but whether it is worth almost twice the price is another question for the individual buyer to answer.

To summarize.  I felt lukewarm about the original DDM but I am a fan of the DDM2.  I would say it does deliver for it's price but does not punch above it's weight class.   

DDMs #2 worth double the price of DDM 1?
MA being Radius Worldwide  distributor offered DDM1 for 180 US and new DDM2 is now being offered at 250 lousy dollars.
Difference is less then 70$ or 45% but nearly the Twice the price mentioned.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 35
DDM1 could be had for $150.  DDM2 used to be $300.  Who knows what things will cost in the next few hours.  EX1000 used to be $600.  Heh....

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
DDM1 could be had for $150.  DDM2 used to be $300.  Who knows what things will cost in the next few hours.  EX1000 used to be $600.  Heh....

Yes , Dimitri from MA commented DDM were sold by Chinese dealers for under allowed suggested SRP established by Radius Headquarters. All that was illegal move but hey in China what is legal anyways.
I wouldn't  be surprised DDM sold in China are being fakes..

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 35
Look alot more comfortable than the DDM1

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:

DDM2 are still priced at about $300 in Japan.
and that is the cheapest I found. current dollar value against Jap yen is 76 per 1$. Japanese brands will continue to grow in price with the dollar tendency to fall

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 35
Making here a favore  to Dmiri at Musicaacoustics
DDM2 are  on Sale until end of the month
for 200 buks  Not a bad at all considering this sell for 300 in its native Japan
almost forgot, to get this one must contact MA directly and place an order (dont use the webpage link unless you want to pay extra 50$)
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #30 of 35
frown.gif
 I paid $250 for mine at accessoryjack only a few days back and already receievd them. Dimitri did say it's a clearance sale and only applies to whatever amount is left in stock, after which he won't be receiving any new stock. His words, not mine of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back