[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Sep 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #61 of 458
  Im interested in searching for replacemnt pads for the shl3300. how would switching to over the ear type of eaerpads like the ones found on the shure srh750DJ? the clamping force combined with the pads not enclosing my entire ear causes discomfort after a while. Also why do you guys say the highs are a weakness? to me they sound just right (smooth and not piecing but still clear)

They didn't say the highs wear a major weakness, its just me, the highs feels recessed to me and on metal rock and some pop I barely hear them, for pads its ok to replace them as long as it fits, some made the phone overear and comfy, but bass will probably be affected. The clamping force gets better over time when the plastic gets worn out a bit, mine doesn't hurt like before, but still tight.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #62 of 458
  Sure thing. 

I applied it just like any other ear pad. It's pretty easy to do, and the fit is great. The truth is, it doesn't matter if it's oval-shaped, or round, as long as you can stretch it over (which is not hard in this case), it will fit nice and snug. 

That's good to hear that over 4 weeks the sound will become better, because it's already pretty impressive out of the box. I was gonna leave the stock pads on, but for me, I'm just not a big fan of on-ear unless it's super comfy, and I had a spare set of HM5's laying around, so yeah.. Was totally worth the experiment. 

your unit sounded the same after changing that pads? i doubt it, i tried mine with beyer velvet and the phone sounded like super crap everthing turned into a mess not to mention the awesome bass went kaput, tried it with another velour type and its also a mess.

the original pads has a fabric behind that catches the sound (dunno how to explain this) and expands it over the entire earpad giving it a full bodied sound and the smalle hole of the orignal pads helped in redirecting sound to make the mids and high clear, when i changed the pad, lifeless bass, recessed mids and highs. making it over ear and completely opening the driver area made my phones sound utterly crap.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #63 of 458
your unit sounded the same after changing that pads? i doubt it, i tried mine with beyer velvet and the phone sounded like super crap everthing turned into a mess not to mention the awesome bass went kaput, tried it with another velour type and its also a mess.

the original pads has a fabric behind that catches the sound (dunno how to explain this) and expands it over the entire earpad giving it a full bodied sound and the smalle hole of the orignal pads helped in redirecting sound to make the mids and high clear, when i changed the pad, lifeless bass, recessed mids and highs. making it over ear and completely opening the driver area made my phones sound utterly crap.

Each to their own, I guess.

If I recall correctly, I said it sounded better after a pad change as the sound became more airy and the bass became a bit more tighter. I also noticed the treble sparkled a bit more than it did with the stock pads, but as I said, these differences are very minor.

As for the Beyer velour pads, I too, had owned a pair in the past, of which I applied it on another headphone. I'd have to agree that it sucks the absolute crap out of the bass, and makes the whole headphone sound artificial, but I can tell you the HM5 pads do nothing like that. Whether you believe me or not, that is your issue to deal with, but I'm just saying...I've owned several ear pads in the past (alcantara, pleather, lambskin leather, velour) of which I had used to make slight alterations to the sound of my headphones. All of which, the majority of them had more cons than pros, but when it comes to the HM5 pads...it is one that's hard to flaw. I don't know how, but it is an impressive set of pads.

As for the thin fabric that you speak of, the HM5 pads have exactly that. Something the Beyers lacked, although they came with a thick foam piece to substitute.

If you still don't believe me, feel free to try out the HM5 pads yourself. They're not as expensive as a pair Beyer Velours, and will set you back by a mere $18.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #65 of 458
the HM5 are real leather or pleather types like Sony is using?

I believe they're pleather, but they're really soft, and stay like that over time, so regardless of the material, I'm not complaining.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #67 of 458
ah ok kinda like the ones sony are using, the super soft pleather. I'll try it out when i can get them, thanks.

No worries. Hope it works out great. :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #72 of 458
how do you open the ear cups for these headphone? I dont see any screws with ear pads off.

They have four hooks in each baffle. Almost impossible to open without breaking the hooks. If you open them you have to glue the cups together again or do some other trick.

Mine are open ATM but I'm thinking of using magnets to hold cup and baffle together. Project still on the drawing-table though :xf_eek:

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #73 of 458
They have four hooks in each baffle. Almost impossible to open without breaking the hooks. If you open them you have to glue the cups together again or do some other trick.

Mine are open ATM but I'm thinking of using magnets to hold cup and baffle together. Project still on the drawing-table though
redface.gif

could you post a pic of what it looks like inside?

i was planning to mod the thing for fun, open the back up and add acoustic dampers on the side maybe. lol

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #74 of 458

If I recall correctly, I said it sounded better after a pad change as the sound became more airy and the bass became a bit more tighter. I also noticed the treble sparkled a bit more than it did with the stock pads, but as I said, these differences are very minor.

As for the Beyer velour pads, I too, had owned a pair in the past, of which I applied it on another headphone. I'd have to agree that it sucks the absolute crap out of the bass, and makes the whole headphone sound artificial, but I can tell you the HM5 pads do nothing like that. Whether you believe me or not, that is your issue to deal with, but I'm just saying...I've owned several ear pads in the past (alcantara, pleather, lambskin leather, velour) of which I had used to make slight alterations to the sound of my headphones. All of which, the majority of them had more cons than pros, but when it comes to the HM5 pads...it is one that's hard to flaw. I don't know how, but it is an impressive set of pads.

As for the thin fabric that you speak of, the HM5 pads have exactly that. Something the Beyers lacked, although they came with a thick foam piece to substitute.

If you still don't believe me, feel free to try out the HM5 pads yourself. They're not as expensive as a pair Beyer Velours, and will set you back by a mere $18.

have you tried them with the hm5 velour pads, and if so, how were they compared to the soft pleather, kinda on the fence on which to buy, velour is a cost a bit more and maybe might feel more comfortable, but maybe they won't sound as good as the pleather...

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #75 of 458

have you tried them with the hm5 velour pads, and if so, how were they compared to the soft pleather, kinda on the fence on which to buy, velour is a cost a bit more and maybe might feel more comfortable, but maybe they won't sound as good as the pleather...

I have yet to try the velour, so I can't make any judgements on how they sound, but for the pleather, they are pretty comfortable. Soundwise, you know the pleather will do well, as opposed to the velour, as no one has experimented with it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back