[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #46 of 458
  I won them in an auction on Amazon... I cant take them off now:) I'm just going through all my music until my ears get tired.

Good to hear that. I seriously thing these need more exposure. I have listened to quite a few amount of different headphones and this one really is the king of budget headphones. the balance in all frequencies is just amazing. I have them on right now as I type this

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #47 of 458
I have had these for about a week and I'm really impressed with their sound!
They were really an upgrade from my first headphones, the JVC HA-S400. Even though they are in the same price range, these are much more neutral and have better instrument separation. The JVCs in comparison sound very shouty and congested when there's a lot of sounds at the same time.
Now I'm starting to have the itch to get something even higher in price and quality!

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #48 of 458
  I have had these for about a week and I'm really impressed with their sound!
They were really an upgrade from my first headphones, the JVC HA-S400. Even though they are in the same price range, these are much more neutral and have better instrument separation. The JVCs in comparison sound very shouty and congested when there's a lot of sounds at the same time.
Now I'm starting to have the itch to get something even higher in price and quality!

Be careful though. I genuinely believe these could best a lot of headphones in the $100 price range. there is some guy I get along with in my Economics class who owns the ATH-M50's. I have get his a spin a number of times and I can honestly say these give the M50s a run for their money, plus these don't have that exaggerated treble and the bass amount is about the same. I tested them with his iPhone as the source so I don't know how could sound fully amped. I've had my SHL3300's fro almost 2 months now and I'm loving them each day, just wish the earpads were a bit more padded (I cant complain though because I have managed to find that sweet spot on how to wear them without discomfort"

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #49 of 458
Hello I also have the shl3300, but is there a headphone thats similar to the shl3300 but slightly lesser bass presence and a bit better on the highs, the shl3300 highs although detailed is a bit recessed. bass and mids are on the same level but the highs seems on a lower platform.

edit: on the same philips brand? or any as long as they are on the same price range.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #54 of 458
  yeah i'll look for replacement pads for these, which is also very rare in my area. lol. its like looking for gold.

I know exactly what you mean. The only heaphones sold here are skullcandy, cheap sennheiser and beats headphones. It is rare to find any from the other top notch manufacturers. I was even lucky to come across the shl3300 because there was only ONE set of these at that shop I had to buy it quick before it disappeared forever. I cant even buy online because I dont have a credit card

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #57 of 458
In his review he says this :

Sony MDR-1R
On initial listen, I’d say I liked the sound and imaging of these the most of the headphones mentioned here; however, I believe that is largely due to the 1R having similar presentation to the ZX701 (both in physical shape and sound). Basically, it was a sound I was already familiar with but with better bass extension and smoother mids. Soundstage was slightly wider than the ZX701 but still relatively narrow compared to the SHL3300. The 1R sounded less sterile than the Momentums, but still glossy compared to the organic sounding SHL3300.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #58 of 458
ahh, dunno about the zx701 but i have the mdr 1rmk2, the bass extension doesn't go very deep but detail and punch is very good. as for mids and highs the shl3300 falls short in comparison when it comes to detail reproduction especially in the highs. but the shl3300 being analog sounding and in your face soundstage is very nice, and its bass extension is really something, can compare to the X1 minus the soundstage. Philips is good at making the bass department in thier current headphones (probably making it thier brands signature quality?).

those momentums are somewhat overhyped because its a senn like those hd202's which had bass all over the mids and was just plain bad, its probably also the reason why there was a huge price drop all over asia, and still no one is buying them even with the low price,  they wont fit right and they sound mediocre for its price. even the original m50 which is also overhyped sounded better.

well the only clear weakness of the shl3300 is the highs, everything else is amazing. as for soundstage some people like the in your face style of the shl3300 some dont, as for me I love em.
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #59 of 458
Im interested in searching for replacemnt pads for the shl3300. how would switching to over the ear type of eaerpads like the ones found on the shure srh750DJ? the clamping force combined with the pads not enclosing my entire ear causes discomfort after a while. Also why do you guys say the highs are a weakness? to me they sound just right (smooth and not piecing but still clear)

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #60 of 458
I used some skullcandy mixmaster earpads, looks and feels nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back