Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Mar 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #271 of 756
Returned my pair to Apple. Just couldn't take the highs and especially the bump in the mids. Loved the bass though.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #272 of 756
That funny, I returned mine to Apple too but for the opposite reason. The treble was not present enough for me, the mid was good but like other mentioned I coud not get over the lack of clarity or detail. Some refer to a veiled sound. The bass was good but a bit too dominant with some track.

As a reference I do favor treble happy signature (Shr-940, Grado, T1) so your experience may vary.

In the end they did not wow me enough to justify keeping them. Also in my experience they need to be amplified to get the best of them. On my iPhone I had the volume at 80% for normal level.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #273 of 756
Guess I should have stated that more accurately. I couldn't take the lack of highs (somewhat shimmery also) and the bump in the mids that made everything sound somewhat unnatural, especially voices.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #274 of 756
Wow, I'm really wondering if my ears just aren't as good, or my L1's sound completely different from everybody else's but I can't relate to any of these comments. Especially concerning the bass on the L1.

Me and a friend were comparing my L1 to his HD598 this weekend and we actually agreed that the bass on his HD598 packed way more of a punch than my L1. The level of detail on the L1 was slightly better (we could pick up more background percussion/sound, especially in rock songs) but the soundstage was less wide.

Overall the biggest difference was the 'warm' sound of the HD598 that really translated into a more powerful bass. We both agreed that overall the L1 offered a more neutral sound and it can definitely hold its own against the HD598.

My L1's have had about 20 hours of burn-in, so maybe that explains?

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #275 of 756
My L1s didn't seem to change substantially. The bass was always world class right out of the box. There was an enormous difference between the 598 and L1 in clarity and neutrality in favor of the 598. What is the serial on your pair, perhaps (thought I doubt it) they've made changes...

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #277 of 756
Mine was #1728. No idea if that difference of 1000+ serials means anything, though.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #278 of 756
Mine was #1929. I rather doubt there's any real difference, just means that they're more to your taste; glad you like them
smily_headphones1.gif
(which is all that really matters)

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #279 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBwoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me and a friend were comparing my L1 to his HD598 this weekend and we actually agreed that the bass on his HD598 packed way more of a punch than my L1. The level of detail on the L1 was slightly better (we could pick up more background percussion/sound, especially in rock songs) but the soundstage was less wide.

Overall the biggest difference was the 'warm' sound of the HD598 that really translated into a more powerful bass. We both agreed that overall the L1 offered a more neutral sound and it can definitely hold its own against the HD598.

I have also compared the L1 to the HD598 and I fully got your back on this one.

The Sennheiser has wonderful rich and dreamy mids, but that's it. The L1 outperforms the HD598 in every other way. Technically, the extension is better, resolution higher and bass more precise.
As for bass, the Sennheiser has the famous bloated upper mid-bass bubble, which makes bass more apparent with every recording. The L1 has much stronger sub-bass which hits hard with music it's intended to (Electronica, Hip-Hop). Tracks that don't go as low sound warmer and more bassy on the Sennheiser, so your observation holds true.

However, I can fully understand if anyone prefers the 598 (or the Sennheiser sound in general), especially for smooth, relaxed, personal and warm mids.
Personally, I think the Philips is the much better package (else I wouldn't have created this thread), because sometimes I need a (sub-)bass fix, yet it can also sound neutral to my ears with most instrumental tracks.
My poor W4 haven't gotten any platime ever since I bought the Fidelio.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #280 of 756
Well I guess its the same as my stance on Grados, but to a slightly lesser degree. Some people love them and I can't figure out why. The L1s are closer to my taste but the unnatural mid bump really ruins the show. Don't see how anyone can listen to music with vocals with these and find them accurate.

Anyhow, they don't match my taste so I have another data point for comparison against those who do like them. More data for more informed purchases down the road.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #282 of 756
I have both and without an EQ I'd easily prefer the D2000s. The bass is the only thing on the L1s that is more punchy (has more speed/attack) and refined compared to the D2000s. On the other side the D2000 sounds airier, with a bigger sound stage and better instrument separation, has more natural sounding mids (voices) and more resolving highs. But none of both headphones is free from coloration. For example violins on the D2000 sound some kind of metallic (like on some Ultrasones) while veiled on the L1. My HD800 has along with the T1 nice sounding violins, T1 makes them a bit silky and HD800 a tad aggressive. HD800 is here slightly more realistic over the T1. L1 and D2000 are a good amount away from that.

For classical music, which is -if you know it- easier to judge, because you can have real life comparisons with that without any technology in between, I've made a list on German Hifi-Forum.de, concentrating on music of Richard Wagner:

Here it is in German school grade system (from 1 = very good (A) to 6 = very bad (F))

"copy&paste plus some more":

ACHTUNG!: It's only where I place the different headphones with the music of Richard Wagner. My "subjective opinion"!

Source: Denon DVD-3910
Amp: Meier Audio Corda Cantate.2

Bereich "sehr gut":
Sennheiser HD800 : 1,2 (mit Mod eventuell 1,1, vielleicht auch 1,3 - bleibt also 1,2)

Bereich "gut":
Beyerdynamic T1 : 1,7

Bereich "befriedigend":
Ultrasone HFI-580 2,8
AKG K701 : 2,9
Sennheiser HD590: 2,9
Sennheiser HD650 : 3,0

Denon D2000 : 3,1 (wäre die Höhendarstellung anders, dann trotz Bass 2,4)
Beyerdynamic DT48S: 3,2 (wäre mehr Bass vorhanden, dann 2,3)
Beyerdynamic DT880 (2003): 3,2
Beyerdynamic DT880/600 : 3,3
Sennheiser HD600 : 3,4

Bereich "ausreichend":
Philips Fidelio L1: 3,6 (mit simpler Höhen-und-Bass-EQ-Anhebung und 2000Hz Korrektur 3,2)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro: 3,7
Beyerdynamic T70 : 3,8 (ohne "Dosigkeit" 3,1)
Beyerdynamic T50p: 3,9 (ohne "Dosigkeit" 3,7)
Beyerdynamic DT231 : 3,9
Sennheiser HD595/120 Ohm 3,9
Sennheiser HD598 : 3,9
Sennheiser HD565 : 4,0
Audio-Technica AD900: 4,1
Sennheiser HD545: 4,1

Ultrasone HFI-780 : 4,2 (ohne "Metall-Klang" 2,7)
JVC HA-RX900: 4,5

Bereich "mangelhaft":
Sennheiser HD 540: 4,9
JVC HA-RX700: 5,0
Audio-Technica AD700 : 5,0
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro: 5,2
Sennheiser HD595/50 Ohm : 5,4

Bereich "ungenügend":
Grado/Alessandro MS1i (Bowls): 6,0 (mit Pads 6,2...
4.gif
)

The source: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-211-414.html

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #283 of 756
I owned the Denon D2000 & D5000 and had both applied the MarkL mod on them with J$ pads on both. To these day I still miss the D2k and not the D5k. The D2k with the mod had nice extension on both end and the mid was just brought back to normal. The were very good but at the time I was curious to try other brand :D. The D5k had god treble extension and the mid was a bit better after the mod but the bass was way to dominant and not controlled.

On sound signature only I personally would rate D2000 > L1 > D5000. If you consider or need other caracteristic like isolation portability and look your rating may be different.

Again this is my honest opinion. You need to hear for yourself. :wink:

I still wonder how the L1s compare to some D2000s.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #284 of 756
That's very true and normally we just could close this platform, because words mean very little or even nothing compared to the own listening experience...
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read many people who don't like the HD800... and that's just the opposite to my opinion of them.

Here hearing helps and heals...
wink.gif

Quote:
You need to hear for yourself.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #285 of 756
Wow, thank you both for those impressions!! I honestly wouldn't use the L1s or D2Ks portably, so there is no need for isolation. The most important factors for me are timbre accuracy and how natural instruments sound. I am a big fan of the D1000 so the D2000 has always had my eye, but at the same time these L1s have my interest as well. As of right now, money is an issue so at some point in the future I may pick up some used D2Ks and maybe audition the L1 at the Apple Store, if and when they have them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back