Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Feb 26, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #61 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i've got the opamp being made for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I order my unit along with the opa moon,

the waiting is the hardest part....

Earth and Moon sound great. The SUN was a little fatiguing.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #63 of 1,252
Quote:

Yeah I was kind of torn between the two... which do you prefer?

I like the Earth the best. The Moon is a little rolled off in the upper mids and top for my taste, but is nice as well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #64 of 1,252
muad: I will be very interested in your comparison of D1 and FUN. Was considering FUN in the beginning but went with D1. Wonder how DAC and headphone compares to each other.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #65 of 1,252
I'll let you guys know... I really hope the fun sounds better. It cost me close to twice as much with the hdam :p Unfortunately I don't have a good pair of headphones to test them with, but if anyone in vancouver wants to audition either unit, just pm me...

If I was to do a comparison would it be with a stock maverick or modded? I find the maverick very receptive to opamp changes...

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #66 of 1,252
Quote:

I'll let you guys know... I really hope the fun sounds better. It cost me close to twice as much with the hdam :p Unfortunately I don't have a good pair of headphones to test them with, but if anyone in vancouver wants to audition either unit, just pm me...

If I was to do a comparison would it be with a stock maverick or modded? I find the maverick very receptive to opamp changes...

Definitely let us know what you think. I think you'll be REAL happy with it though.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #67 of 1,252
arghhh, Ive been researching the hdams for a few hours now and I can't make up my mind. Kingwa is waiting on my decision. I bought some opa627au's awhile back and found it very dark and recessed and kinda muddled in the lower mids. Some songs I'd lose the vocals in the upper base. It was very clean sounding and a nice sound stage also. The opa moon gets some great reviews but Im just worried it's gonna sound like the opa627.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #68 of 1,252
Quote:

arghhh, Ive been researching the hdams for a few hours now and I can't make up my mind. Kingwa is waiting on my decision. I bought some opa627au's awhile back and found it very dark and recessed and kinda muddled in the lower mids. Some songs I'd lose the vocals in the upper base. It was very clean sounding and a nice sound stage also. The opa moon gets some great reviews but Im just worried it's gonna sound like the opa627.

I'll bet Curra has all three as well and can render an impression.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #69 of 1,252
If you dislike the 627s, get the Earth. The Moon (due, I think, due to stereo crosstalk, going by RMAA measurements someone did) has recessed mids, which gives the illusion of greater soundstage. It doesn't sound like 627s to me at all. I was just trying the Pacific Valve config, with Sun and FET stage, and it's more 627-like with rolled-off treble. The standard A-mode config + Earth sounds right to me with all my headphones.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #71 of 1,252
I had ordered the standard A-mode from Pacific Valve. Unfortunately, there was a fault with the DAC output opamp. My options were to: A) replace that opamp with the Sun HDAM for $20, B) wait for a replacement unit to arrive from China or C) cancel my order.

I chose option A, and am a little nervous based on the comments I am reading here. I have a Compass with an Earth, and wonder if I might be better off putting the Sun in the Compass and the Earth in the FUN or if I should just try and get another Earth somehow.

Headphones would be D5000's.

Also, for those who said the Sun was too bright or fatiguing: Did you adjust the jumper settings in the FUN similar to the Compass that allow for some tonal control (Bright, Neutral, Soft1, Soft2)?

I am assuming these jumpers exist in the FUN....

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #72 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had ordered the standard A-mode from Pacific Valve. Unfortunately, there was a fault with the DAC output opamp. My options were to: A) replace that opamp with the Sun HDAM for $20, B) wait for a replacement unit to arrive from China or C) cancel my order.

I chose option A, and am a little nervous based on the comments I am reading here. I have a Compass with an Earth, and wonder if I might be better off putting the Sun in the Compass and the Earth in the FUN or if I should just try and get another Earth somehow.

Headphones would be D5000's.

Also, for those who said the Sun was too bright or fatiguing: Did you adjust the jumper settings in the FUN similar to the Compass that allow for some tonal control (Bright, Neutral, Soft1, Soft2)?

I am assuming these jumpers exist in the FUN....

Hi,
There may be a few exceptions to the next statement I'm making here, but not many.

Most Compass owners who had multiple HDAMs had honeymoon sessions with SUN/MOON but went back to the Earth ultimately. Even KW will steer you towards the Earth.

I did not do anything with the jumper settings, it's just not in my nature to put a filter in the circuit. Just my opinion of course.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #73 of 1,252
It might be worth noting that I felt the Fun when it first arrived sounded a bit harsh but is now quite smooth after being left on for a couple of weeks. IIRC the Sun has a bit of stereo crosstalk as well, making it a bit brighter at least.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #74 of 1,252
Lol, after much messing around and indecisiveness I ended up getting both the opa moon and earth. It's the only way to be sure. Since it's shipping with the Fun, whats an extra $20 to find possible audio nirvana.... <---- This doesn't exist BTW

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #75 of 1,252
Quote:

Lol, after much messing around and indecisiveness I ended up getting both the opa moon and earth. It's the only way to be sure. Since it's shipping with the Fun, whats an extra $20 to find possible audio nirvana.... <---- This doesn't exist BTW

Good Choice.

I would rank MOON as my second choice behind the Earth.

Originally I think the Compass during the Proto phase was being spec'd with the MOON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back