Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #46 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmic_impulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean using RCA Shorting plugs on the unused RCA input will eliminate the RF disturbances?

That only means you could test the actual C-2 amp noise by shorting the RCA input, he implies that would be the actual noise on the unit.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #47 of 991
First off, thanks to slim.a for a thorough write up.

I'm sure I'll have further questions but for now I'd like to ask about the USB interface.

Are converters such as the hiface fully rectifying the issue or will this route still be inherently worse than using the coax input natively? Is it more about the source bitrate than SQ (so CD quality through USB or coax would be the same SQ)?

Just a comment, that it does grate a bit having to buy converters because USB seems to be such an issue.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #48 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my dac19DSP a few hours ago. First impression, it's a great dac. I don't have enough time to listen to it, so I can't say much about it right now.

But there is a small problem, I requested a bnc version, but it seems they send me a rca version. Is it worth to send it back to change the rca input to bnc input? Since I ordered m2tech hiface bnc + Oyaide DB-510 BNC (sending it to me, not receive yet). I can think of 3 different ways to solve the problem:

1. send it back
2. buy a Oyaide DR-510 RCA
3. buy a BNC to RCA adaptor

The easiest way is to buy a BNC to RCA adaptor, but will it affect the sound quality a lot?

I attached a pic of my dac, I think it's a rca input.

Send Kingwa an email, he will take care of it one way or the other.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #49 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a comment, that it does grate a bit having to buy converters because USB seems to be such an issue.

In short, no, you shouldn't have to worry that much about it. Even USB on the DAC19 will definitely not hurt your ears. Put another way, you probably won't be feeling like you're missing anything w/o someone telling you

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #50 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short, no, you shouldn't have to worry that much about it. Even USB on the DAC19 will definitely not hurt your ears. Put another way, you probably won't be feeling like you're missing anything w/o someone telling you

Yea probably in a year there will be a superior USB transport for under $100, the technology has just reached maturity.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #51 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea probably in a year there will be a superior USB transport for under $100, the technology has just reached maturity.

Yea, exactly what i was thinking. Maybe kingwa will have a better usb implementation by then.

Btw just to digress a lil, regal, could i get your thoughts on the pmd100? I'm thinking of getting the dac9mk3 but i'm not sure, some argue that it smooths too smooth/laid back without enough detail, others argue that it has the most analog/vinyl representation and natural sound.

All 3 DACs you have all use the pmd100, so that should count for something it seems
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #52 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is the DSP-1? It is a very powerful 250mhz Altera Cyclone chip which sole purpose is to “condition” the data before it reaches the PCM1704uk. It has a whole lot of functions including: user configurable oversampling settings (from NOS to 8x), Three-stage linear-phase (with zero group delay distortion), PLLs to reduce jitter...

Concerning "user configurable oversampling settings". Does this mean the user is the designer of the application (Kingwa) or the end user? I'm trying to determine if I can change that by jumper (or whatever).

New to this thread, I've known about the Audio-gd equipment from looking at Pacific Valve, but I never took a hard look at it until now. I've been a fan/user of a modded DAC with stacked TDA1543 chips and a DIR9001 receiver for a while and the comparisons are very interesting.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #53 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my dac19DSP a few hours ago. First impression, it's a great dac. I don't have enough time to listen to it, so I can't say much about it right now.

But there is a small problem, I requested a bnc version, but it seems they send me a rca version. Is it worth to send it back to change the rca input to bnc input? Since I ordered m2tech hiface bnc + Oyaide DB-510 BNC (sending it to me, not receive yet). I can think of 3 different ways to solve the problem:

1. send it back
2. buy a Oyaide DR-510 RCA
3. buy a BNC to RCA adaptor

The easiest way is to buy a BNC to RCA adaptor, but will it affect the sound quality a lot?

I attached a pic of my dac, I think it's a rca input.

The adapter is a bad idea, I would just use RCA at that point. If you find someone to solder it, just get him to send you the piece you need and have some one put it in for you. Or possibly send it back. But if you are setup to do BNC, I wouldfollow it thru.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #54 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newk Yuler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concerning "user configurable oversampling settings". Does this mean the user is the designer of the application (Kingwa) or the end user? I'm trying to determine if I can change that by jumper (or whatever).

It's set up with a series of DIP switches on the DSP board that allow the various settings, such as oversampling, to be switched off or changed.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #55 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, exactly what i was thinking. Maybe kingwa will have a better usb implementation by then.

Btw just to digress a lil, regal, could i get your thoughts on the pmd100? I'm thinking of getting the dac9mk3 but i'm not sure, some argue that it smooths too smooth/laid back without enough detail, others argue that it has the most analog/vinyl representation and natural sound.

All 3 DACs you have all use the pmd100, so that should count for something it seems
wink.gif

I am a special case. 90% of the music I listen to is HDCD mastered where the mastering engineer used PM ADCs to do the transfer. So there is a huge benefit of using the same filtering when you play back at home using the same filtering/dithering algorithms as the studio used.

I have not heard the DSP1, but when I was building DAC's I never found a better filter than the PMD100. There is a lot of folks who consider it a very good filter and I never liked DSP filters. However if anyone could do it right it would be AudioGD. But if you want to save money I think you will be happy with the PMD100, there is a reason he dug it up from the dead for the DAC19mk3. Given that I have a lot of respect for Slima's reviews and you can trust his ears.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #57 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should listen to a DAC with the PMD200 regal
wink.gif

Been looking for one for 5 years, I don't believe they exist
smily_headphones1.gif

But if it weren't for M$'s $25k licensing fee we would have a PMD200 programmed in our DSP1's ):

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #58 of 991
Quote:

I am a special case. 90% of the music I listen to is HDCD mastered where the mastering engineer used PM ADCs to do the transfer. So there is a huge benefit of using the same filtering when you play back at home using the same filtering/dithering algorithms as the studio used.

I have not heard the DSP1, but when I was building DAC's I never found a better filter than the PMD100. There is a lot of folks who consider it a very good filter and I never liked DSP filters. However if anyone could do it right it would be AudioGD. But if you want to save money I think you will be happy with the PMD100, there is a reason he dug it up from the dead for the DAC19mk3. Given that I have a lot of respect for Slima's reviews and you can trust his ears.

Ah, that is very helpful, thanks! Actually i won't be saving money by going with the dac9mk3 (not the dac19mk3), which is more expensive than the ref 5
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #59 of 991
Quote:

Been looking for one for 5 years, I don't believe they exist
smily_headphones1.gif

haha..the DAC am listening to says it does
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #60 of 991
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's set up with a series of DIP switches on the DSP board that allow the various settings, such as oversampling, to be switched off or changed.

I emailed Kingwa about the switches. He sent a diagram explaining what the switches ie NOS, Dithering etc. Haven't played with them though because the C-2 and DAC19DSP is still burning in.

On another note, listening via HD800 on stock cable do sound treble heavy, although again this comparison is coming straight from the HD600 with a Cardas cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back