Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jun 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 1,215
  From Fiio X3 Thread: "X3 and X5 both convert to 24/88.2 for playback and make a very good job of it."

Does this player do the same?

AP100 gives you a control to see output sampling rate to whatever you want it to set to and to keep it as a default.  That was a purpose of that SRC button on the side.  This default conversion to 24/88.2 in X3/X5 doesn't make sense because what if your source is 24/192, will it down-convert it?

But to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if X5 does some internal automatic up-conversion for low bit rate sources with 16/44.1 because I noticed that same songs on X5 (default) and AP100 in 16/44.1 doesn't sound the same (16/44.1 version sounds more raw).  While comparing X5 default sound and AP100 24/192k - AP100 does have an edge in quality, but the level of this difference will depend on a quality of your source and headphones.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 1,215

It used to be a pretty popular feature back when storage capacity in the megabytes was the norm, so it's not unheard of in a modern DAP. However, I can't think of many flagship devices today that thought to include a tuner. The market has moved on from that.

The latest mainstream Walkman F886 still has a tuner so i'll prolly go that route in the near future. OTOH, The ZX1 doesn't support it so you're right in that flagship DAPs- or even mid-tier  (based on my impression from the OP at least) such as in this case are abandoning the old-schoolers like myself to sighs. Which to me is quite strange- Is it not better to design some bypass-mode for the tuner circuit rather than to eliminate it altogether? I mean, is it more acceptable to restrict the user to just a limited wifi acess (whenever supported the given DAP) to his/her favorite web-radio station?

On top of that, I dunno about you guys but around these parts radio streaming is still quite lousy 96K-128K in many cases and not all of us are on an unlimited data service.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #34 of 1,215
I don't even know who listens to radio around here (East Coast, US).  Everybody streams radio from their smartphone, either Satellite or on-line Terrestrial stations.

When you're focusing on a pure DAP functionality delivering highest quality audio, you want to trim out everything else contributing to extra noise floor or power load or the room for extra components.  If you have android based DAP, then you just get an app to stream your radio station :wink:

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #35 of 1,215
I was thinking of getting this Hidizs...but in a local forum in Malaysia ....a few member have isssues with 64gb almost full capacity card ..they reported that the player keeps scanning the card and stops halfway.....so not all the songs are captured ...but as far as sound ...reported that they like it ..better than Fiio X5 and A&K Ak120 .

Need more impressions ..definitely interested ...

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 1,215
I was thinking of getting this Hidizs...but in a local forum in Malaysia ....a few member have isssues with 64gb almost full capacity card ..they reported that the player keeps scanning the card and stops halfway.....so not all the songs are captured ...but as far as sound ...reported that they like it ..better than Fiio X5 and A&K Ak120 .

Could be a similar issue people reporting in X5 thread with 128GB card where DAP's OS doesn't like a file tag or format or whatever.  My 128GB crapped out, sent email this morning to Sandisk and already got RMA to return back for exchange.  One thing for sure, their support is bar none.

But it is true, in 24b/192k setting AP100 is top notch.  Now I need to get my hands on DX90 for comparison with X5 and AP100...  Btw, Penonaudio is planning to have 10% discount or something like that soon.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #39 of 1,215

Which Malaysian forum? 
I've heard them all and i'm confident in saying even the AK100 is definitely a step up over the AP100.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #40 of 1,215
Which Malaysian forum? 
I've heard them all and i'm confident in saying even the AK100 is definitely a step up over the AP100.

Lowyat forum ..is site where computer techie stuff forum ...I'm sure you heard them all ......its just other user impression and it might not be yours .. Different people different sound signature ...peace

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #41 of 1,215
Lowyat forum ..is site where computer techie stuff forum ...I'm sure you heard them all ......its just other user impression and it might not be yours .. Different people different sound signature ...peace

lol i'm a regular there, and i have never seen anyone making statements in the audiophile sub forum that the AP100 is better than AK120 or whatsoever.. In fact there are hardly any impression on the AP100 in lowyat forum except from 1 or 2 users.
Btw this has nothing to do with impressions, this is about technical abilities, e.g. dynamics, coherency, transparency, clarity, micro/macro details, imaging, soundstage, etc. Definitely not the sound signature. But yes, it is better for yourself to hear it personally than hearing our impressions/views since your ears might hear it differently. You can always go to Jaben to test it out.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #43 of 1,215
Can't comment on AK100 since I don't have it, but I remember reading a lot that X5 is superior in sound to AK100.  And in my personal opinion, in 24b/192k SRC setting AP100 is superior to X5.  I hope we can get more impressions in this thread here.

SRC buttons works perfect with General EQ or any other EQ setting.  The audible difference is very noticeable.  Don't have any issues with my unit.

Regarding Coax input, don't have any way to test coax, but obviously you can't record anything to AP100.  Perhaps you can use it as external DAC for coax input source or something like that?

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #44 of 1,215

AP100 gives you a control to see output sampling rate to whatever you want it to set to and to keep it as a default.  That was a purpose of that SRC button on the side.  This default conversion to 24/88.2 in X3/X5 doesn't make sense because what if your source is 24/192, will it down-convert it?

But to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if X5 does some internal automatic up-conversion for low bit rate sources with 16/44.1 because I noticed that same songs on X5 (default) and AP100 in 16/44.1 doesn't sound the same (16/44.1 version sounds more raw).  While comparing X5 default sound and AP100 24/192k - AP100 does have an edge in quality, but the level of this difference will depend on a quality of your source and headphones.

If I remember correctly, the Violectric V800 does the same when set to "Best" oversampling mode. The DAC chip inside it has a favorite sample rate at which it works best, same could be the case with the X3/X5. Projects new reference series (RS) CD transport / DAC combo for example has a similar method, when both are connected the transport samples everything to the same (ideal) rate regardless of the source material, so that the DAC can work at the optimal operating point.
I guess higher isn't always better, it's about giving the hardware what it needs to work best.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #45 of 1,215
Guys, I've made an A/B comparison on same tracks on Fiio X5 & Hidizs AP100 on DT770 Pro (250 ohm) & my Sennheiser IE80 .  

HiDizs wins, hats down, it's not a minor difference, guys. Hidizs AP100 is a much more musical device, it sounds elegant, full, mature, much bigger and colorfully soundstage, much more sophisticated presentation.

The only major advantage X5 has over Hidizs sound is a (much) better bass control & attack , but if taken as a whole package, Hidizs AP100 is the clear winner. X5 sounds brutal in comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back