Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Sep 10, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,866 of 3,060
Could you guys point me to an IEM whose signature most closely resembles the ATH-AD1000x or AD2000x? I'm looking for a very forward, in-my-face and intimate mid-range, because I listen to mostly vocal music. I'm allergic to excess upper bass/lower mids bloom, though. I feel it really messes up vocal clarity.

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #2,867 of 3,060
  Could you guys point me to an IEM whose signature most closely resembles the ATH-AD1000x or AD2000x? I'm looking for a very forward, in-my-face and intimate mid-range, because I listen to mostly vocal music. I'm allergic to excess upper bass/lower mids bloom, though. I feel it really messes up vocal clarity.

You could try the FLC Technology FLC8s. Very liquid and super detailed midrange and believe it or not, I find its midrange to be more detailed and precise than my UERMs' (which are a little better (read: refined) in the bass and treble though).

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #2,869 of 3,060
So after quite a bit of research, I'm leaning towards three options: ATH-IM02, Shure 535 and Westone UM3X. The UM3X is definitely much pricier, but it's tuned for monitoring, so I'm expecting it to render forward, accurate vocals. It's a shame that the Hifiman RE262 had been discontinued, because I've read so much praise about their vocal rendering prowess.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,870 of 3,060
So after quite a bit of research, I'm leaning towards three options: ATH-IM02, Shure 535 and Westone UM3X. The UM3X is definitely much pricier, but it's tuned for monitoring, so I'm expecting it to render forward, accurate vocals. It's a shame that the Hifiman RE262 had been discontinued, because I've read so much praise about their vocal rendering prowess.
You should also put the Pinnacle P1 on your list. I've read people comparing the IM02 to the P1 and said to have the same sound signature. I personally own a pair of im02 and so far ,overall, I'm really disappointed with it. I'm getting the P1 soon as I've got budget for it.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,871 of 3,060

Fidue A83
DUNU DN-2000J

And in the upper mid-range of pricing, the Noble Savant.

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #2,872 of 3,060
I used to own the Shure SE215 but had to return it after one day because I couldn't get it to fit into my ears correctly. It felt like it could not go deep enough into my ears for a secure fit. I don't know this is because the tips were not angled enough or if the shape of the unit itself was not right for my ears. I also was not really fond of the sound signature, so now I am thinking about buying the IM02. Can anybody who has had experience with both of these units tell me if the IM02 can go deeper into the ears than the 215s?

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #2,873 of 3,060

Not the best but I think Shure SE535 would be a good candidate.
You can try Inear SD2(s) I found them forward with good mids too. They best 535 according to me but if you want really forward mid for vocal, stay with 535, they will be cheaper too.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,874 of 3,060
I used to own the Shure SE215 but had to return it after one day because I couldn't get it to fit into my ears correctly. It felt like it could not go deep enough into my ears for a secure fit. I don't know this is because the tips were not angled enough or if the shape of the unit itself was not right for my ears. I also was not really fond of the sound signature, so now I am thinking about buying the IM02. Can anybody who has had experience with both of these units tell me if the IM02 can go deeper into the ears than the 215s?
I have both. The IM02 is the least comfortable and my least favourite amongst my IEMs in terms of fit and ergonomics. The se215 will go deeper mainly due to their flat/flush body design whereas the IM02 isn't. If we're talking about comfort alone the IM02 has got to be the worst between the two. In months of using my IM02 I still haven't managed it to stay put after a short while of usage, It kept popping off my ear. And also the cable on the IM02 has the tendency to get brittle after a while of using it and being exposed to sweat and this worsen the fit just like what happened to mine. This is why I'm really disappointed with my IM02, the fit is just terrible

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,875 of 3,060
I have both. The IM02 is the least comfortable and my least favourite amongst my IEMs in terms of fit and ergonomics. The se215 will go deeper mainly due to their flat/flush body design whereas the IM02 isn't. If we're talking about comfort alone the IM02 has got to be the worst between the two. In months of using my IM02 I still haven't managed it to stay put after a short while of usage, It kept popping off my ear. And also the cable on the IM02 has the tendency to get brittle after a while of using it and being exposed to sweat and this worsen the fit just like what happened to mine. This is why I'm really disappointed with my IM02, the fit is just terrible
Thank you for the response. It is quite interesting that you can't get it to fit correctly. None of the reviews I've read or watched had that big of an issue with the fit. I know everyone has different ears, but do you by chance have smaller ears than average? And have you tried other tips with IM02?

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,876 of 3,060
Thank you for the response. It is quite interesting that you can't get it to fit correctly. None of the reviews I've read or watched had that big of an issue with the fit. I know everyone has different ears, but do you by chance have smaller ears than average? And have you tried other tips with IM02?
No, I have pretty average ear lobe/canals but all the ear tips won't fit me except the large ones or the Comply foam tips. Perhaps those reviewers you read or watched didn't really put the IM02 through its paces so they only had minor to no discomfort. I used mine everywhere, while on the go or sleeping. So far the foam tips are the only ones that decently fit to my ear quite "securely", but foam ruins the sound so I wouldn't count it as a fix for the issue. I think the short nozzle of the IM02 is creating the issue, I had a chance to try out the IM03/04 and they fit quite nicely in my ear. What I suggest you to do is to try them out before buying one 'cause so far like I said, the IM02 is the least comfortable IEM I've tried or have.

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #2,877 of 3,060
Quite on the contrary, having been an owner of the im02 for 1.5 years, I've never had fit issues with the im02.In fact I find the im02 quite comfortable.Soundwise, I personally feel that the im02 has a slightly warmish-neutral sound to it.Overall really detailed, clear and smooth without sounding tinny or cold.Many of those who found the im02 cold or analytical were highly likely using daps with an output impedance quite a bit beyond 1 as the im02 does sound brighter with higher output impedance.Apart from that, everyone I know with daps that have an output impedance of below 5,found it slightly warm

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,879 of 3,060
Also unless you consistently expose the cable to oil and sweat, the cable will not turn brittle-at least mine didnt
With the price it's asking they should've taken this to consideration. It's really annoying when someone like Audio Technica didn't thought it through, I mean even some cheaper IEMs have way way better cable. I'm terribly disappointed on Audio Technica on this cable issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back