Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2,851 of 3,060
  @happysappy

First of all, it seems like ATH-IM70's right side's sound filter is clogged. If it is the filter, there are ways to fix this.

Second, it sounds like the output impedance of your Surface Pro 4 is very high. The ATH-IM02 does not have a flat impedance response but actually an upwards tilting impedance curve shape in the highs, so when it is connected to a high impedance source, you would experience a brighter and more metallic sound.

You could either evenly reduce the treble using an EQ or get a DAC/headphone amplifier with low output impedance. Matching models would be the Leckerton UHA-4, JDS C5D/C5 (the latter if you only want to use it as a pure amp from your phone's headphone out), FiiO E17k/Q1 or A1 if you only want a cheap low impedance amp-only device.

I will have to research on cleaning the sound filter as I have never done this before. I apparently don't have EQ powers as most of the time they just sound muddy and ruin the experience. I'm probably doing it wrong, but I never bother with it.

I have the FiiO E07k and E06, but I may get the JDS C5D in the future to better match this IEM. Or the FiiO E17k or K1 if I decide to save money. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #2,852 of 3,060
@happysappy

If the filter is accessible, you could just use a new one. I don't know what kind of filter is used in the ATH-IM70, but definitely know that the ATH-IM03 is using the white Etymotic Research filters (this way I could reanimate my IM03 that I bought brand new but it arrived with one side lacking the filter).
If the filter is not accessible/if it is a different type of filter (proprietary, which is however unlikely), you could buy ear-cleaning fluid. Using "Otowaxol" and pouring some drops in a teaspoon and then dipping the nozzle with the filter inside the fluid and holding it like this for a few minutes and occasionally slightly shaking the in-ear, the cerumen (ear wax) should leave the filter.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,853 of 3,060
  @happysappy

If the filter is accessible, you could just use a new one. I don't know what kind of filter is used in the ATH-IM70, but definitely know that the ATH-IM03 is using the white Etymotic Research filters (this way I could reanimate my IM03 that I bought brand new but it arrived with one side lacking the filter).
If the filter is not accessible/if it is a different type of filter (proprietary, which is however unlikely), you could buy ear-cleaning fluid. Using "Otowaxol" and pouring some drops in a teaspoon and then dipping the nozzle with the filter inside the fluid and holding it like this for a few minutes and occasionally slightly shaking the in-ear, the cerumen (ear wax) should leave the filter.

Checked out Otowaxol and it has different ingredients (ethanol and glycerol) compared my boyfriend's Debrox (carbamide peroxide). I used it anyway. Soaked the nozzle for 5 minutes, shook it several times, lightly dipped a cotton tip with ethanol and cleaned the solution off. The output is the same. I'll try to remove the filter completely.

Earphone surgery is more delicate than real surgery. :/

EDIT: I enlisted the boyfriend's help in removing the stock filter. The left earpiece sounds normal now! Woot! Now the problem is getting a replacement filter. It looks so vulnerable and naked without it. The original filter has a small rim of adhesive at the edge to keep it in place. I'm trying to Google for replacement filters but hadn't found any luck yet. Soaking the filter again now, in the hopes of getting it thoroughly clean by tomorrow. I think the easiest thing to do is get the Comply tips with wax guard.

Thank you so much for your help, kind stranger!

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,854 of 3,060

Checked out Otowaxol and it has different ingredients (ethanol and glycerol) compared my boyfriend's Debrox (carbamide peroxide). I used it anyway. Soaked the nozzle for 5 minutes, shook it several times, lightly dipped a cotton tip with ethanol and cleaned the solution off. The output is the same. I'll try to remove the filter completely.

EDIT: I enlisted the boyfriend's help in removing the stock filter. The left earpiece sounds normal now! Woot! Now the problem is getting a replacement filter. It looks so vulnerable and naked without it. The original filter has a small rim of adhesive at the edge to keep it in place. I'm trying to Google for replacement filters but hadn't found any luck yet. Soaking the filter again now, in the hopes of getting it thoroughly clean by tomorrow. I think the easiest thing to do is get the Comply tips with wax guard.

You may consider Comply TX series foam eartips, it has wax-guard protection.
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-200/

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,857 of 3,060
  @happysappy

Any idea on what the ATH-IM02 uses? It seems to be some kind of foam?

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,858 of 3,060
Joining the im03 club soon.
Had the ck100pro. Excellent iem from a technical aspect but treble was too hot for me in the end. Hated the ckw1000anv for its way too bassy and dark signature with big boost in the upper treble. The esw11 was the way better limited woody but ultimately too colored as well for me to enjoy a wide range of music.
Then tried the ath-r70x and was surprised about the natural, untypical of ath tuning.
After owning the ath-e70, which goes into the same direction as the r70x but with better subbass and little more treble, I am officially a Audio Technica Fanboy. It is my favourite iem and I owned the likes of IE800 and the whole stagediver series at one point. Ok this is not an e70 thread, just expressing my excitement for their latest flagships and their sound tuning which goes imo in the right direction.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,859 of 3,060

This is what you are looking for. :wink:

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hifiman-re-400-flanges-filters.html

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,860 of 3,060
Any idea on what the ATH-IM02 uses? It seems to be some kind of foam?

Yeah, it uses a kind of foam which you can also cut from any earbud sponge foam and insert into the nozzle of the IM02 quote easily.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,861 of 3,060
The spiral dot fixes everything.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,864 of 3,060
Guys, I am considering these as a replacement for my dead Triple.Fi's.  Can someone please answer a couple questions:

1) How are IM03 unamped? I am using iPhone 6.

2) How would you compare SM64 vs ATH-IM03? 

I read the Triple.fi comparison in the review and seems like ATH-IM03 and Triple.fi are pretty close sound quality wise with IM03 having slight edge?

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #2,865 of 3,060

1) How are IM03 unamped? I am using iPhone 6.

Just as with the Triple.Fi 10, you will get a smooth treble using the iPhone 6 with its ~ 5 (if I recall that correctly) Ohms output impedance. However, despite that they will have a brighter treble with a low impedance source, the iPhone 6 has got really good measurements and is a clean sounding device.

I read the Triple.fi comparison in the review and seems like ATH-IM03 and Triple.fi are pretty close sound quality wise with IM03 having slight edge?

As said in the other thread, that's true. From your iPhone 6, the IM03 might sound a bit darker in the highs than the Triple.Fi 10, but otherwise the IM03 is more detailed and precise (I'd say more than just by a slight edge).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back