REVIEW: Octet Matrix DE7 monitor speakers (a HeadFi Exclusive review)
Feb 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #61 of 78
Thanks for the quick response. I think I might call them on Monday and see if they can give me a deal if i buy the DE7's and the center channel. Thanks again Project86, your input is always appreciated.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 78
I'm interested in upgrading from my aktimate mini speakers and have a few questions.

I have a powered subwoofer that has line level input/output. I assume it is as simple as connecting the output from an amp to the sub then another line to the speakers?

Would it matter that my subwoofer is powered? :s

The other issue is I need to choose an amplifier. I can find a cambridge audio Azur 550A for an alright price. Would this be better than a entry level onkyo receiver?

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #64 of 78

Quote:
I'm interested in upgrading from my aktimate mini speakers and have a few questions.
I have a powered subwoofer that has line level input/output. I assume it is as simple as connecting the output from an amp to the sub then another line to the speakers?
Would it matter that my subwoofer is powered? :s
The other issue is I need to choose an amplifier. I can find a cambridge audio Azur 550A for an alright price. Would this be better than a entry level onkyo receiver?

Sorry for the delay, I just realized that I hadn't answered yet.

Your assumption is correct - running the stereo amp output through the powered sub, then out to the speakers would work perfectly. I'm assuming the sub is powered because you don't generally see many passive subs intended for home use. 

The Cambridge integrated would be plenty good for this type of system. The amplification should be of higher quality than that of an entry level surround receiver. Those units have so many features built in that something has to give.

The only thing to consider is the tone controlls/EQ/room correction features that the Onkyo might have. With a difficult room, something like Audyssey room correction might be more beneficial than the increase in amplification quality from the Cambridge. If you are doing more near-field type listening then that won't be the case. Honestly though - the Cambridge or an entry level Onkyo would both sound terrific. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #65 of 78
I'm now considering a Marantz PM6004. I don't think I will go the receiver route as the room I'm in I'd basically a box with my computer setup centred in the middle towards the back wall. I'm planning to have the DE7 on speaker stands.

The subwoofer is indeed powered and has EQ so should hopefully integrate ok.

Have you heard either the Adam a5x or krk vxt6? I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to go down the active speaker route.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #66 of 78

Quote:
I'm now considering a Marantz PM6004. I don't think I will go the receiver route as the room I'm in I'd basically a box with my computer setup centred in the middle towards the back wall. I'm planning to have the DE7 on speaker stands.
The subwoofer is indeed powered and has EQ so should hopefully integrate ok.
Have you heard either the Adam a5x or krk vxt6? I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to go down the active speaker route.

The closest thing I've spent any significant time with is the older Adam A7. I think those went for $1100/pair or something like that. They sounded great, especially in the mids which were very open and clear. But I found the top end to be a little "over-saturated" if that makes any sense. The Octets matched their top end extension while remaining nice and smooth. The larger driver on the Adams meant for more bass extension though it wasn't significantly better overall. 

I heard those in a near-field situation and only listen to my DE7 from 8-10 feet away, so it isn't exactly a fair comparison. Just based on my limited impressions though I wouldn't disqualify the DE7 compared to any of these potential alternatives. It really is a great pair of speakers if you have the space for them. 

BTW I'm a fan of those Marantz stereo units like you mentioned. Lots of bang for the buck. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #67 of 78
The motivation for me to stay away from near field speakers is that in a few months time I will be moving and will have a "man-cave" where I can set up my gear anyway I want (as per the gf).

At the moment i'm limited to a 10x13ft computer room which means i'll have to have the DE7 around 3~4ft max away from me. Do these work alright as near field speakers?

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #68 of 78
The piano finishing is nice, and so is the gold-plated speaker terminals, of course.  The speakers look a lot more bare, however, on the inside.  What happened to the electronic crossover or the amps?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  It's a passive speaker.

So let me get this straight.  You have some nice mid-, high-end components that I am sure put out a pristine signal.  But then you deliberately chose to pass the signal through an array of power inductors, capacitors and resistors?  Why do you do this?  Everything is so high-tech and electronic, and then comes the crossover.  Have you given any thought to how that pristine signal is being marred by the crossover?

Quote:

Photo courtesy of Octet Matrix Audio. Click to enlarge

EQUIPMENT

Associated equipment used to evaluate the DE7 speakers:

Source: JF Digital HDM-03S audio server, Rotel RDV-1092 CD player, Grace IRDT200 media player

DACs: Violectric V800, Anedio D1

Amplification: Lead Audio LA-200 integrated, McIntosh MAC1700 integrated, Parasound 2125

Preamp: Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2

Stands: Sanus NF30

Subwoofer: Dayton Titanic MKII 10”

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #69 of 78

Quote:
The piano finishing is nice, and so is the gold-plated speaker terminals, of course.  The speakers look a lot more bare, however, on the inside.  What happened to the electronic crossover or the amps?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  It's a passive speaker.

So let me get this straight.  You have some nice mid-, high-end components that I am sure put out a pristine signal.  But then you deliberately chose to pass the signal through an array of power inductors, capacitors and resistors?  Why do you do this?  Everything is so high-tech and electronic, and then comes the crossover.  Have you given any thought to how that pristine signal is being marred by the crossover?

What would you suggest for a similarly priced alternative which does not have a crossover? 

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #70 of 78
I am not suggesting that you make do without a crossover.  I am suggesting that you--and your crossovers--join the electronics age.  Does it not strike you as odd, indeed a bit anachronistic and disjointed that here you have some electronic wizardry (Rotel, nice.  Violectric, wow. etc.) and then all bets are off, and you are making do with these large power inductors and capacitors.  Do you know what that's doing to the signal and to the sound?

I am suggesting that instead of piano finishing and gold plated terminals your $$ money would have been better spent on an active crossovers and matching amps for the drivers.    You know, those eccentric type of speakers that have--lo and behold--electronic crossovers that dispense with the Neanderthal passive crossovers of the pre-electronics age.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #71 of 78

Quote:
I am not suggesting that you make do without a crossover.  I am suggesting that you--and your crossovers--join the electronics age.  Does it not strike you as odd, indeed a bit anachronistic and disjointed that here you have some electronic wizardry (Rotel, nice.  Violectric, wow. etc.) and then all bets are off, and you are making do with these large power inductors and capacitors.  Do you know what that's doing to the signal and to the sound?

I am suggesting that instead of piano finishing and gold plated terminals your $$ money would have been better spent on an active crossovers and matching amps for the drivers.    You know, those eccentric type of speakers that have--lo and behold--electronic crossovers that dispense with the Neanderthal passive crossovers of the pre-electronics age.

My question still stands - what products are out there to replace these speakers, for similar pricing? Do you suppose that doing away with the piano gloss finish and gold terminals would be enough to offset the cost of an active crossover system? 

Or are you merely suggesting that I personally am not using nice enough speakers and should look elsewhere? 

Because I don't quite get what your intentions are in posting here. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #72 of 78
My intention is for you and others to think outside the technological straighjacket, to think outside the archaic box of passive designs.  For under $350 you had the following choices in active monitors:

Fostex PM0.5n

Tannoy Reveal 501A

Mackie MR5 MkII

KRK Rockit 5 G2

Behringer Truth B2030A

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #73 of 78
I see. So in your mind, the active aspect of those designs necessarily trumps driver, amplification, and build quality, along with general aesthetics. Have you actually listened to any of those or do they just fit into your notion of "Active is Always Better"? Because I have experience with several, and they certainly are not all equals. Active speakers have benefits but are not necessarily always superior, especially when we are talking about low price points. 

Interestingly, Scott Lighter of Octet Matrix did mention a more advanced design using active crossovers with DSP correction. This was his reference sound used for judging crossovers on the production model DE7 speaker. After using computer modelling to compare dozens of designs, they settled on a few of the best to do real world listening tests compared to the reference unit. The active unit would be significantly more expensive than the passive version.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #75 of 78
Thought I'd revive this thread. I bought the DE7B last year after reading project86's review. My main requirement was an even FR, and the DE7 definitely nails it. Details throughout the FR are clear and transparent to my ears. Dynamics are impressive, especially with some good live recordings like Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e. I use the ER4S as my daily, and it sounds pretty damn close to the DE7.

So thanks to project86. I hope more people catch on to how awesome this speaker really is. I only wish I had more experience with high end speakers so I could throw a little more weight behind my opinion. I can say that out of the speakers I've heard, the DE7 is clearly the most accurate. I can also compare the DE7's quality to iem sound characteristics, and imo it compares extremely well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back