REVIEW: Octet Matrix DE7 monitor speakers (a HeadFi Exclusive review)
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #47 of 78
Hah in fact I did redo my desks yet again... I actually replaced the old 2m long tabletop with two 1.5m tabletops and moved the receiver over. Now my girlfriend has her own desk right next to me hah... Here's the latest pic of my setup... I'm still loving the speakers though =D 

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #48 of 78

Quote:
Hah in fact I did redo my desks yet again... I actually replaced the old 2m long tabletop with two 1.5m tabletops and moved the receiver over. Now my girlfriend has her own desk right next to me hah... Here's the latest pic of my setup... I'm still loving the speakers though =D 

Looking good! I like the "blackness" of it. Black speakers. Black Denon AVR. Black Ultrasone Pro900s. I need to try those one of these days. How do you like them?

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #49 of 78
Haha yeah, I like the blackness too, unfortunately my girlfriend is less of a fan. Sigh, she's slowing turning my bachelor pad into an actual home lol. The Pro 900's are spectacular. The receiver actually does a very good job of driving them. The main thing I noticed was that the Pro 900's definitely need a bit of burning in before you discover their full potential. At first they sounded pretty great, but it felt a bit muffled. After 50 hours of burning in, this has improved significantly, and now they really really sing. However, I still prefer speakers/sub over headphones, and I think in overall sound quality, the DE7s beat the Pro 900's, although that's not a fair comparison since I also have two subs working with the DE7s, and I love being able to feel the room shake because of the bass =D 

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #51 of 78

Quote:
Haha yeah, I like the blackness too, unfortunately my girlfriend is less of a fan. Sigh, she's slowing turning my bachelor pad into an actual home lol.

ZoomButt.gif

Is that the excuse you have for the nail polish and hand cream near your rig?  Get an audiophile grip now before it gets worse! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #53 of 78
Hahaha *cough* she's slowly taking over. Luckily, she's incredibly supportive of my random audio buying sprees and enjoys quality sound as well. Although she owned skullcandy IEMs before I met her... now she has a nice pair of UEs! 

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #54 of 78

Quote:
Hahaha *cough* she's slowly taking over. Luckily, she's incredibly supportive of my random audio buying sprees and enjoys quality sound as well. Although she owned skullcandy IEMs before I met her... now she has a nice pair of UEs! 

Oh you poor sod! They always say that at first!  It's like a play from the handbook! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #56 of 78
Indeed, from time to time... but yeah, it seems like all chicks have the same operating manual or something... eventually they take over before you even notice. OH WELL, it's worth it in the long run! 

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #59 of 78
I am very interested in these but don't want to be disappointed due to my low end receiver (Onkyo r580). Due to my budget constraints and constant IEM buying frenzy, I don't really have the funds to upgrade the receiver (to what I really want that is) but do want to upgrade the speakers. This hobby is turning out to be like my alcohol hobby, once you discover how good it can get, it is very difficult to accept anything less. The farther up the spectrum I get with IEM's the more I really begin to critically analyze the portrayal of sound everywhere I go, including, to my detriment, my own living room.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #60 of 78

Quote:
I am very interested in these but don't want to be disappointed due to my low end receiver (Onkyo r580). Due to my budget constraints and constant IEM buying frenzy, I don't really have the funds to upgrade the receiver (to what I really want that is) but do want to upgrade the speakers. This hobby is turning out to be like my alcohol hobby, once you discover how good it can get, it is very difficult to accept anything less. The farther up the spectrum I get with IEM's the more I really begin to critically analyze the portrayal of sound everywhere I go, including, to my detriment, my own living room.

I imagine you would be fine with that AVR. Entry level Onkyo has always been better than entry level Sony (in my opinion). The DE7 speakers sound pretty darn good with everything I've connected them to, including some lower-spec integrated amps. You might not be wringing the last inch of performance out of them, but overall it should be satisfying. 

BTW I'm still really enjoying mine. I plan on buying the center and converting to 5.1 for the full SACD and DVD-A experience. I've never really done that before - I've already got some rear speakers sitting unused, so why not? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back