Review: NuForce DAC-80 - replacement for the DAC-100 (same sound, lower price)
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #47 of 89
I believe I read somewhere it will be part of their NuPRIME line. They currently have the IDA-16 which is an integrated DAC/speaker amp thingy, like a beefed up version of the DDA-100. DAC-10 will be just the DAC part of that, using ES9018 and with balanced outs. DAC-10h will be the same but with a headphone amp on board. No idea about price or release date though.

Is the ES9018 better than what's in the Dac-100? Other then the dsd?

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #48 of 89
The DAC-100 uses an AKM4390 which is what I'd call a midrange 32-bit chip. It's got decent specs, and is a solid, modern chip. But it's not the top of the AKM lineup, much less the ESS lineup which is a fundamentally different sort of chip as compared to most others. 

Then again, the actual DAC chip itself is only one piece of the puzzle. Output stage, system clock, USB implementation, power supply, etc are all huge factors in deciding the end result. I'd expect this new DAC-10 to be more ambitious than the DAC-100 and DAC-80, probably larger too. It had better be considering the price will likely be higher. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 89
The DAC-100 uses an AKM4390 which is what I'd call a midrange 32-bit chip. It's got decent specs, and is a solid, modern chip. But it's not the top of the AKM lineup, much less the ESS lineup which is a fundamentally different sort of chip as compared to most others. 

Then again, the actual DAC chip itself is only one piece of the puzzle. Output stage, system clock, USB implementation, power supply, etc are all huge factors in deciding the end result. I'd expect this new DAC-10 to be more ambitious than the DAC-100 and DAC-80, probably larger too. It had better be considering the price will likely be higher. 

Yeah there is a pipe line to go thru. I stopped myself from bidding on a dac-9 a couple night ago cause I know this thing is only a month or so away hopefully.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 89
I don't have any sort of super-sneaky inside info on this one - everything I know I got from THIS thread over at Audiocircle. Looks like the IDA-16 is eventually going to be $2600 but currently on introductory discount for $2350. So if the DAC-10 ends up being the same device minus the speaker amplification, I'd think it would fall somewhere around $2k give or take. Maybe $1500 if they go really aggressive on price. Then the DAC-10h with headphone amp will probably command a premium over the normal version. 

Keep an eye on the NuPRIME website for any new developments. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #53 of 89
I just picked up the DAC 80 from eBay at a heavily reduced price. Will there be any problems using it with my Burson Soloist SL if I don't have a preamp?

Shouldn't be. You can keep the DAC-80 at full blast and use the Burson to control volume, or you can set Burson at a moderate level and then use DAC-80 to control the volume. Either way should be fine, and a preamp wouldn't add anything to the equation. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #54 of 89
Shouldn't be. You can keep the DAC-80 at full blast and use the Burson to control volume, or you can set Burson at a moderate level and then use DAC-80 to control the volume. Either way should be fine, and a preamp wouldn't add anything to the equation. 

Great thanks for your help. Did you ever try the Alpha Dogs with the DAC-80? I've put together a random system without doing much research. Can't resist a bargain.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #56 of 89
It's a great little DAC. Much better than I expected it to be actually. Detail retrieval is up there with the best I've heard and I definitely know what you mean when you describe the sound as exciting. I'm finding that running the DAC full blast and using the amp's volume control is best.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #57 of 89
It's a great little DAC. Much better than I expected it to be actually. Detail retrieval is up there with the best I've heard and I definitely know what you mean when you describe the sound as exciting. I'm finding that running the DAC full blast and using the amp's volume control is best.

+1 about volume

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #58 of 89
Subscribed a bit late in the game.  This seems like a pretty awesome little dac and by far the cheapest I've seen that's running an fpga digital filter (compare to chord, ayre or even bottlehead).  It is a shame that this hasn't gotten more attention.  

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #59 of 89
Subscribed a bit late in the game.  This seems like a pretty awesome little dac and by far the cheapest I've seen that's running an fpga digital filter (compare to chord, ayre or even bottlehead).  It is a shame that this hasn't gotten more attention.  

Mine's just been sold but it is an awesome little DAC. If only it offered balanced outputs it would be perfect at its price point. I'd rate it higher than the Bifrost, better than the internal DAC in the Burson Conductor and about on a par with the Violectric V800. I've not gone any higher in the DAC market. It is surprising that it commands so little attention but the NuForce product line is too big and too confusing. That probably plays a part.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #60 of 89
Mine's just been sold but it is an awesome little DAC. If only it offered balanced outputs it would be perfect at its price point. I'd rate it higher than the Bifrost, better than the internal DAC in the Burson Conductor and about on a par with the Violectric V800. I've not gone any higher in the DAC market. It is surprising that it commands so little attention but the NuForce product line is too big and too confusing. That probably plays a part.

Agreed all around. They recently rebranded to start NuPrime for the higher end gear (or at least that's the perception I get). We'll see if things become more clear in the next year or so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back