REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Apr 14, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #436 of 515
Quote:
Well if you are after convenience the regular DACport is the better option. If you are after better sound quality and will use a separate dedicated amp with the DAC the DACport LX is the best choice in terms of sound quality alone.

The LX is closer to having the micro-detail and soundstage of the more costly DACmini CX, however when pairing with the very revealing HD800 I found that the DACport LX + an amp is more fatiguing than the original DACport + amp.  So, yes, with most other phones the LX + amp might be a better choice, but I just wanted to add this tidbit about the original DACport pairing better with an HD800 rig if the amp is quite neutral (like wire with gain).

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #437 of 515
Quote:
The LX is closer to having the micro-detail and soundstage of the more costly DACmini CX, however when pairing with the very revealing HD800 I found that the DACport LX + an amp is more fatiguing than the original DACport + amp.  So, yes, with most other phones the LX + amp might be a better choice, but I just wanted to add this tidbit about the original DACport pairing better with an HD800 rig if the amp is quite neutral (like wire with gain).

What he said!  
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #438 of 515
Quote:

I can't argue with you there. Originally I found the LX paired with the O2 amp in particular to be quite hot on my IEMs that were on the brighter side. Even using silver cable between the gear made things more so fatiguing. The Triad seems to add good balance to it though so not so much of an issue.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #440 of 515
Quote:
Hey!
I have received yesterday my dacport lx and I really wonder if it would benefit from a small portable amp like c&c bh...
What is your opinion about that?

Well I think you'd need a good amp to attenuate it. Not saying the C&C is a bad amp as I'm sure its a decent amp for its price but I'm positive an amp such as the UHA6 MKII or the Tralucent T1 amp would be much more suited to such a device (you'll get most of it's potential with either). To be honest I didn't max out the DAC performance until I got the Triad L3 and even then it had more headroom to improve with a dedicated PSU added to the Triad.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #442 of 515
Quote:
but it is not clear to me if dacport lx + C&C or another portable amp would be an upgrade vs. dacport lx alone.
To my ears, dacport lx istself, even if it says there is no dedicated amp into the device, do not suffer from a lack of power. 

The DACport LX is at line level. It does not have any means to attenuate the sound. Using Windows volume control to do so degrades the sound to my knowledge. Basically you are using the DAC below line level. There may be other concerns to worry about using your IEMs or headphones directly wired into the LX.

May 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #443 of 515
Quote:
but it is not clear to me if dacport lx + C&C or another portable amp would be an upgrade vs. dacport lx alone.
To my ears, dacport lx istself, even if it says there is no dedicated amp into the device, do not suffer from a lack of power. 

Quote:
The DACport LX is at line level. It does not have any means to attenuate the sound. Using Windows volume control to do so degrades the sound to my knowledge. Basically you are using the DAC below line level. There may be other concerns to worry about using your IEMs or headphones directly wired into the LX.

I agree.  When you use software to reduce the volume coming from the DACport LX, you're actually reducing the bit depth of the signal that's going into the DAC - which translates to a reduction in dynamics.  You should always feed the DAC with software volume set to maximum.  This, of course, means you'll need a volume control downstream of the DACport LX.  There's more to sound quality than asking yourself if it is loud enough.

May 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #444 of 515
Quote:

I agree.  When you use software to reduce the volume coming from the DACport LX, you're actually reducing the bit depth of the signal that's going into the DAC - which translates to a reduction in dynamics.  You should always feed the DAC with software volume set to maximum.  This, of course, means you'll need a volume control downstream of the DACport LX.  There's more to sound quality than asking yourself if it is loud enough.

Thanks Mike you described it much better than I did. :)

May 1, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #445 of 515
Thanks for your replies.
I knew that volume of the software used (foobar etc...) should be at its maximum and then regulate it via the amp, but know I start to understand why 
wink.gif

I'll probably buy a portable amp such as C&C to see if I can hear myself a difference.

May 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #446 of 515
Does the Dacport LX need an external amplifier if i would like to drive Grado SR325i's? If i use the audio jack for my macbook pro at full volume, the Grado SR325is are driven optimally. Does the LX offer a slight amplification over using the audio jack for the macbook pro or would it be better to get a dacport instead with a built in amp. The reason is that i move around often within studios and would like something portable and one-off instead of hooking up multiple devices. 

May 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #447 of 515
You posted the same question in multiple threads. Please read the last few posts regarding volume control and the degradation of sound when using software volume controls. The lx and the oroginal are said to have the same internals with the lx having a fixed volume unlike the original. The dacport should serve you better if you do not want to carry an amp.

May 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #448 of 515
I don't have any particular axe to grind with CEntrance, but I feel I have to reiterate 3 important drawbacks to the DACport LX.

If you were thinking of using it portably, with your cell phone, or even just laying in bed or on the La-z-boy, well for me these are just deal breakers. 

1. The DACport LX runs astonishingly hot. 
2. Not sure how they accomplish this feat, but that heat comes from somewhere, and means it drains any battery source rapidly.
3. It doesn't work properly with USB OTG. The result of this is that there is only one Android player software that supports it. There is an outside chance you could root your phone and run an alternative Android that works around the problem. 

Its a shame because it does sound good. But these problems are making me throw in the towel. What should I get instead?

May 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #449 of 515
I don't have any particular axe to grind with CEntrance, but I feel I have to reiterate 3 important drawbacks to the DACport LX.

If you were thinking of using it portably, with your cell phone, or even just laying in bed or on the La-z-boy, well for me these are just deal breakers. 

1. The DACport LX runs astonishingly hot. 
2. Not sure how they accomplish this feat, but that heat comes from somewhere, and means it drains any battery source rapidly.
3. It doesn't work properly with USB OTG. The result of this is that there is only one Android player software that supports it. There is an outside chance you could root your phone and run an alternative Android that works around the problem. 

Its a shame because it does sound good. But these problems are making me throw in the towel. What should I get instead?

The DACport (& the LX) was not design for Android device. It'S design to work from a standard USB port that can provide 5 volts and 500 mAh. It run hot because it's a Class A amplifier. If you need a portable solution for your mobile smartphone get a portable Amp/Dac like the Glacier from TTVJ

May 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #450 of 515
Yes, the DACport has an amp... but the DACport LX is just a pure DAC. Why does it need an amp? The role of the DAC is to deliver low level signal into the actual amp, in my case a Tralucent T1. 

Are you saying that, the DACport LX, even though its small, its really a desktop DAC. Even though it looks portable, its not. Its actually a desktop DAC, that sucks down a full 2.5 watts... 500 milliamps at 5V. It just happens to be small, but we shouldn't be fooled by its size into thinking its portable. And since its not portable, and would be used on a desktop, they don't care about USB OTG which comes with Android phones. What about tablets though? I guess they don't care about tablets either. 

Yeah I will look into the Glacier or the Leckerton. Or just a portable DAC. Don't need the amp part, already have the Tralucent, which runs cool and delivers more than enough amplification. Still not clear why a D/A converter burns more power than an amp, or why it even needs an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back