Review: Monster Turbine Pro Copper edition
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

d.n.d.

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone at Monster for the opportunity to review these earphones. They were provided for free for review purposes. A special thanks goes to Gernard whom I met at Canjam 2010, and Aaron as well for making this possible.

This is my first review, so please bear with me. I have been on Head-Fi for a while, but I read more than post.

I am a serious basshead. The first pair of full size headphones to satisfy my needs was the Denon D1001. There were also the HD650s (with the right setup), and the Edition 8s. This is not to say all I care about is quantity. I know what good and bad quality bass sounds like, and I definitely want the good quality. So you will see me commenting a lot on the bass these earphones have.

My quest to find earphones with adequate bass was very hard. I first started out with Denon C551s, but those were average-ish. Then I tried Westone UM2s but they were lacking for some songs. I also tried the Shure SE530s, but bass was non-existent on those. The standard Monster Turbines were not enough, and neither were the IE8s with the bass setting on max. I even took a chance on the Mingo WM2 (silver version). They were close, but still not good enough.

I was curious to see if the Coppers could make any difference in my quest.

Unboxing

The packaging was exactly like the standard Monster Turbines, but for the Coppers. The box still had the magnetic flip-top for opening. The material of the box itself was very smooth, and you could see Monster was trying to make a good first impression.

Monster provided two different carrying pouches. One was a soft pouch with a magnetic flap (just like the regular Turbines) and the other was a soft pouch where you had to press the opposite corners to open the mouth. Both looked and felt very nice, but personally I would have preferred some sort of hard case for protection. It does not have to be a giant hard case like the one that comes with the Shure SE530s, but something usable like the round case that came with my Denon C551s. That has been my favourite case and I have been using it regularly since 2008.

Looking deeper into the packaging you will find a huge assortment of ear tips, a handy ear tip holder, a shirt clip, a very nice looking 1/4in adapter, a cleaning cloth, and the usual precaution and warranty slips. I have to say I was surprised at the array of ear tips Monster provided. There were more than I could count. Most to all users should be able to find a suitable size ear tip that fits them.

The source was a Sansa Fuze with flat EQ, and all music was 320 kbps or VBR. If the song was neither of those bit rates, then it is because I could not find a higher quality version. The Sansa was attached to a portable amp with a custom made LOD cable.

As for the portable amp, I decided on using the Minibox E+ because it is the most neutral amp I have. I tried a few other amps like the Penguinamp Caffeine Ultra and the RSA Tomahawk but found the differences to partially affect the sound (ex. The lack of transparency of the Penguinamp, or the slightly recessed mids of the Tommy) so I decided to stay with the Minibox.

All listening was done in a quiet environment unless otherwise stated. Listening was done at a comfortable volume, which I have realized is lower than the average listening volume for most people. On the flip side I have found that if I were to turn the volume up on any recording, I simply hear more detail. I apologize in advance if my notes sound repetitive. These are my raw notes as I was listening to them, only enhanced with more detail.

Initial thoughts on Coppers

When I first tried the Coppers at Canjam with my own pair of Skullcandy (SC) ear tips, I was pleasantly surprised by its sound. It was not because of its bass, but rather everything was so accurately presented. To me, I was listening to my music the way it should be heard. It covered all the bases, with no compromises.

Some comments on the overall sound and characteristics of the Coppers:

1. Neutral with a bit of warmth to it
  2. Just enough to give the music feeling but without making it sound too laid back or dark
  3. Very smooth sound with no sharp edges or too crisp a response

Music:

Cascada - Evacuate the dance floor

1. Bass impact is strong and sufficient
  2. Mids/vocals are present and are in their proper place; not too forward and not too recessed
  3. Highs are present without stepping in too much
  4. Does not over-do it on the bass by exaggerating it; tight and accurate but extends just enough

Cascada - Pyromania

1. bass is sufficient in quantity
  2. Present with just the right punch and extension without overdoing it to the point of being head-ache inducing
  3. Here the highs are a bit more subtle/covered up; not as forward
  4. Vocals just present enough; not too recessed
  5. Good left-right sound stage with vocals (does not sound like it is totally in my head)

Cascada - Fever

1. Good sound stage and separation of vocals
  2. Mids/vocals present without being too recessed
  3. Bass present with just the right punch since usually bass is not as present in this song
  4. Brings it out a bit more

Taeyang – Wedding dress

1. Bass has good quantity and punch, reaching low enough to properly reflect recording
  2. Mids/vocals present but just there where they should be
  3. Highs once again smoothed out and subtle; but still present
  4. Good extension of bass without over-doing it
  5. Is approaching the edge of too much but keeps it under control

Akon - Body bounce ft. Kardinal Offishall (192 kbps)

1. Bass has good punch/impact
  2. Solid enough to be felt
  3. Highs smoothed out and somewhat covered
  4. Mids/vocals present at the right location
  5. Not too forward and not too recessed
  6. Good sound stage and imaging

Taio Cruz – Dynamite (256 kbps)

1. vocals/mids well presented
  2. Good detail! Can hear a lot of subtle things like drawing of breath
  3. Sufficient bass impact without being overkill
  4. Highs subtle/smooth and non-fatiguing

Timbaland – If we ever meet again ft. Katy Perry

1. Good bass impact and extension
  2. Accurate with the right quantity without over-powering the mids
  3. Vocals well presented and accurate
  4. Good detail – can pick out small details in recording that I usually cannot with lower-end earphones

Timbaland – We belong to the music ft. Miley Cyrus

1. Bass impact sufficient enough to be felt
  2. Vocals well placed with good sound stage
  3. Highs smoothed out/partially covered
  4. When melody is taken out bass is more isolated and present with stronger impact/punch
  5. Can really feel the music
  6. Vocals again well presented with good imaging
  7. Great for basshead
  8. Presents recording accurately and with authority

Jay Sean - Do you remember

1. Highs present but not too crisp/fatiguing
  2. Bass well rounded with good extension reflecting recording
  3. Bass has good impact
  4. Good separation with vocals present in center location
  5. Good sound stage with vocals well placed but not as expansive like Sennheiser IE8s

Rise Against – Saviour

1. Guitar is live and present with some edginess but not as edgy as SR80i; smoother
  2. Drums present and felt but not overpowering
  3. Guitars smooth and well placed
  4. Good separation with guitar and drums; can pick them apart and pinpoint their locations
  5. Vocals still present and well placed in the middle of instruments
  6. Guitar has good feel/jive to it
  7. Just warm enough to be felt

Stereos – Butterflies (256 kbps)

1. Bass guitar and drums can be felt
  2. Not overkill but engaging
  3. Power chord has good feel to it
  4. Good warmth

K’Naan – Wavin flag Fifa version (192 kbps)

1. Intro with drums can really be felt
  2. Reverberates as if you are live and present
  3. The power/impact can really be felt
  4. The bass is present and has good quality punch
  5. Vocals placed front and center

Isolation and use in real-world environment

1. Initial burn in with my own Skull Candy (SC) ear tips using Sansa Fuze LOD out to RSA Hornet M
  2. Key word/theme: accurate, balanced
  3. On the subway it has great seal just like regular turbines
  4. Some smaller details may be drowned out, but not by much
  5. Most of the sound comes through, including the bass
  6. The bass is present, and just enough that it is felt and heard but not overkill

1. In a slightly less noisy environment (mall food court), bass is more prominent
  2. Great separation and soundstage (above average)
  3. Sound is very accurate; just like how it is supposed to sound from the recording
  4. Bass is just the right balance; not too heavy overkill but not lacking in punch or extension like the regular turbines do
  5. Bass can be felt just enough that it satisfies 98% of bassheads including myself
  6. Good punch and extension without going over the top and remaining in control
  7. For rock it is very smooth, and makes sure it is not too forward or edgy by taming it

Ear tips test in noisy food court

Triple flanges:
  1. Very intrusive
  2. Insertion is very deep
  3. Also somewhat difficult to fit onto barrel of earphones
  4. the tips were flimsy and did not hold its shape when pressed in to fit onto earphones
  5. for the effect on sound, isolation is excellent
  6. total and complete isolation with only the music coming through
  7. crowd noise is distant and very quiet (if you can even find it)
  8. bass can be felt; it is moving even at quiet volumes
  9. cannot even hear conversation of people at the table next to me
  10. does not take away from the sound
  11. comes on full, clear, and unaffected

regular Skullcandy silicone tips:
  1. can still hear some crowd noise in background
  2. have to turn up volume slightly compared to triple flanges to get same perceived volume

black silicone tips (non super):
  1. isolates slightly better than SC ones
  2. as a result sound is a bit fuller and more complete, with fuller and rounder bass vs SC tips at same volume
  3. sound comes through more clearly

white silicone super tips:
  1. better isolation
  2. still minor crowd noise but that might be due to fitment (triple flanges expanded canals)
  3. crowd noise more minor than the standard black silicone tips
  4. as close to the isolation of triple flanges you can get without the same feel/intrusion
  5. no affect on sound again
  6. everything comes through fully at same volume
  7. smooth highs are there
  8. mids present
  9. bass comes on strong and can be felt but not overdone
  10. bass might be slightly more controlled than regular tips due to isolation/construction

foam super tips:
  1. excellent isolation with a bit more crowd noise than silicone super tips, but not a whole lot more
  2. still better than the SC ear tips
  3. reduces the impact/punch of the bass very slightly
  4. almost like it is being rounded off a little
  5. it is like the extension has been reduced slightly
  6. another way of putting it is on certain songs (Rihanna - Rude boy intro) it does not reverberate as much as the silicone tips
  7. all-around sound is still maintained with no changes

Comparison notes between MTP Coppers and other popular earphones

1. definitely the best earphones for the serious basshead
  2. more bass than IE8s on max setting (in terms of quantity, extension and punch)
  3. more bass than Mingo WM2s silver version (in terms of extension, quantity, and punch)
  4. definitely more bass than Shure SE530s
  5. great improvement over original Turbines (more punch, extends deeper, reverberates and can be felt)
  6. better extension and impact
  7. the best bass you can get without sacrificing other aspects of sound
  8. increasing anything like the quantity or extension will affect some other aspect and make it worse

shirt clip:

1. does the job it is intended to do, but keep in mind it is only secure at that one point the clip is on
  2. rest of the cable can still move

cable management:

1. effective
  2. walking around with earphones in my pocket, there were no knots or any mix up

Final thoughts:

If you are like me and you have been searching for that one pair of earphones with enough bass to satisfy your needs, the Coppers are the ones to get. I highly recommend pairing it with an RSA Hornet M to unleash its full potential.

It is difficult to put this into words, but these earphones just do everything right. They present the music very naturally with no compromises in any of the departments. I believe if you play a complicated recording with a lot of highs like instrumentals, you may have some difficulty picking out everything because it would be so subtle. But if you turn up the volume you should be able to pick it out, since we all know dynamics are some-what volume dependent.

The Coppers have great detail and just the right amount of warmth so that it is not fatiguing but it does not put you to sleep either. It recreates recordings with authority and feeling so that it gets you into the music and you will be tapping your foot before you know it. Placement of vocals is spot on center stage, with all aspects of sound present without over-powering any other areas. Its bass can be felt because it is the good kind of bass where it is in the lower frequency range, and it always stays in that area without over-powering and colouring other areas of the spectrum.

Overall I can recommend these earphones without a second thought. They are great all-around earphones that really move you. I can say with certainty after going through so many earphones that I have found the ones that I have been searching for. I have sold most of the earphones I have bought over the past few years, and I use these most of the time. And for the ear tips, instead of using my SC ear tips with the Coppers I now use the Monster silicone super tips.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 35
Very nice review, I'm lucky enough to hear them the same way you do and I've been enjoying listening to music (not the IEM) more then ever.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
Very nice review, I'm lucky enough to hear them the same way you do and I've been enjoying listening to music (not the IEM) more then ever.

thank you! i appreciate it. and yes, they really are something else.

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 35
Great review.  Pretty much 98% spot on w/ how I heard them.  My only gripes were:

1-Treble just a hair over neutral but nit picking at that point.

2-Bass a touch less extension and decay than the MD's.  Your point is taken that anymore would encroach w/ the Coppers.

Very good overall phones IMO.  Let us know if your Copper housing ever begins to separate since you should have a new batch straight from Monster. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 35
My thoughts on the Coppers are quite similar to yours when I did my review. I remember writing about wanting a bit more sparkle on the top but can't remember mentioning anything about the bottom end about wanting more extension or decay.

I think these are very good but price may be hard to justify esp now that one call doesn't do my price option on these. At MSRP Monster are kidding themselves about the price but t $250 it was a bit overpriced imo but understandable.

Also mine did have the housing starting to separate but it was very early signs so I got it replaced and got a brand new set in a bit over a week. The cable was a bit better as well than the first one.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
Great review.  Pretty much 98% spot on w/ how I heard them.  My only gripes were:

1-Treble just a hair over neutral but nit picking at that point.

2-Bass a touch less extension and decay than the MD's.  Your point is taken that anymore would encroach w/ the Coppers.

Very good overall phones IMO.  Let us know if your Copper housing ever begins to separate since you should have a new batch straight from Monster. 

i guess this was a manufacturing issue? never heard of this before. i got my pair around june 13/14th. i have not been on head-fi in a while, but i will look around and see what i can dig up about this.

and thanks for the feedback everyone! much appreciated.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 35
Very good review! Got mine last week, very impressed with the sound and bass quality. The highs are very present for sure! Getting a near perfect seal (with comftorability) with the included tips however, is proving a little frustrating for me. Again, very good review!
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 35
keep at it; once you find a good fit i think you'll be happy.  it took me awhile, but I finally did find a good set of tips for me

Quote:
Very good review! Got mine last week, very impressed with the sound and bass quality. The highs are very present for sure! Getting a near perfect seal (with comftorability) with the included tips however, is proving a little frustrating for me. Again, very good review!
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
keep at it; once you find a good fit i think you'll be happy.  it took me awhile, but I finally did find a good set of tips for me

Thanks! Certainly far off from thinking about returning them. in my case, it just seems like the tips are either to big or to small. The large foam is about as close as I can get for a good seal. its just a little uncomfortable. I know its going to take some more experimenting.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Not one hybrid foam Supertip that fits?  Have you read the instructions on how to insert them?  

You mean pulling the earllobe up and back? (or something like that, I forget at the moment) if so, then yes. The biggest one seems to fit the best for me. its just more of a pain because it seems like whenever I move around and dont sit perfectly still, they lose some of the seal. After listening sessions. When I remove them, my inner ears hurt for a while. I guess my ear canals are messed up.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
beerchug.gif

I'll second Anaxilus, you might need to adjust how you insert the coppers in your ears and how they seat in the ear canal (more shallow/deep, angle of insertion, etc.) Foam supertips shouldn't be hurting. There are enough tips included that something should work if you're fitting them correctly.

Another option is Sony Hybrid tips for $9 bucks or whatever from Best Buy fit nicely on the coppers.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 35
nice review, makes me wanna try them out even more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back