REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Nov 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #121 of 1,534
I usually associate warmth with the mid bass as well. I got an email saying my HM601 and RE-Zero should ship today which means I'll get it Monday. I'm pretty excited to know if the 601 was worth it for me. I'll have to get myself a 16gb sdhc card and maybe some deals with pop up for Cyber Monday. If only I could just go to their NY location and pick it up instead :p

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #122 of 1,534

Quote:
Thanks for the info re charging the 601. Cheers xabu and shigzeo.  Looking forward to recieving mine.

The charge from USB is super slow and will not charge whilst being used as a DAC. You'll also need an adapter for mains, it has straight pins not angled like ours, i got one for $2.50 shipped from ebay.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #123 of 1,534
I have a question about tags. Does it read tags that are not in English such as Chinese or Japanese?

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #125 of 1,534
The matering engineer who has a digital setup probably is trying to reproduce the same effect using a very cost effective approach of EQing the mids. But of course the more anal engineers use the famous distressor http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELI8M/ to add analog warmth to a digital recording.

Agreed that amps and headphones can distort. The distortion of amps is different than those of headphones. Usually headphones distort when they run out of headroom. Amps distort depending on the electronic components inside. Here you can use tube transistors too make the recording warmer through harmonic distortion. My preference would be to have no distortion, this is the most accurate presentation with no emphasis on mids, bass or highs.

Quote:
Actually warmth tends to be more associated with a midbass bump. You'll hear mastering engineers talk about inserting a bump around 125hz to warm up a recording.

Sources, amps and headphones can all distort sound. No distortion is prefered by most folks but people get way too wound up over specs. I'd take a well designed 2a3 or 300b amp over many solid state amps. It's not distortion I crave it tonal accuracy which very often triodes get correct. Oddly the 601/602 for an NOS DAC gets tone spot on.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #126 of 1,534
Quote:
Thanks for the info re charging the 601. Cheers xabu and shigzeo.  Looking forward to recieving mine.

Just so you know you will need one of those US to AU plugs/adapters to use the charged in Australian wall sockets. They can be bought on eBay (from China) for like $5.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #127 of 1,534
The JH16 has bores. The tubes I was referring to are vaccuum tubes, which have been replaced by the solid state transistor.

Quote:

Very interesting about 2nd harmonic distortion.  The IEMs like my JH16 does have little tubes, does this suggest that they might be generating 2nd harmonics?

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #128 of 1,534

Quote:
The JH16 has bores. The tubes I was referring to are vaccuum tubes, which have been replaced by the solid state transistor.

Quote:

Very interesting about 2nd harmonic distortion.  The IEMs like my JH16 does have little tubes, does this suggest that they might be generating 2nd harmonics?

Haha, right, wrong tubes!

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #129 of 1,534
The SM3 and EM3Pro share some similarities, the EM3Pro having just a bit better treble echo. They are very nice with the 601, but then again, pretty laid back. I like them, but not as much as I like sharper sounding earphones like the ER4S and the CK10. Overall, only really warm and detail-less earphones don't mate well with the 601 and the SM3/EM3Pro are not those phones.

Quote:
I'm currently using my SM3's with the X1060 and S:flo2 and wanted to know if anyone has tried the SM3's with the 601, is it a good fit?

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #130 of 1,534
I am so excited! Just ordered the 601/Zero combo. Right now I have the Ipod>HA5000>W5000 (I have dedicated dac, but sounds best like this) probably since the HA5000/W5000 is incredibly detailed, that some softer transients are really welcome. I am hoping that the HM-601 will smooth the sound out and provide a more analog feel, if it can do this, I will be one happy bloke! Will post my impressions once I receive the product! Cheers, 

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #131 of 1,534

Quote:
I am so excited! Just ordered the 601/Zero combo. Right now I have the Ipod>HA5000>W5000 (I have dedicated dac, but sounds best like this) probably since the HA5000/W5000 is incredibly detailed, that some softer transients are really welcome. I am hoping that the HM-601 will smooth the sound out and provide a more analog feel, if it can do this, I will be one happy bloke! Will post my impressions once I receive the product! Cheers, 

I think you are going to be a very happy bloke!

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #132 of 1,534
happily broke?
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #133 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

I think you are going to be a very happy bloke!

That's great to hear! Now the wait begins... Also looking forward to the Zero's, listened to my friends RE-0, not sure what the difference is, but if it's anything close to what I heard I will be walking around my town with a big smile. Happy listening, 

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #134 of 1,534
601 in the house!

I guess it might be a good thing the 601 only has 2GB of internal memory. I'm putting my favorite songs in there and never touching it again. The transfer speed is really slow and I can only imagine what 16GB like the 602 would be like. I'll be using my 8GB sdhc from my camera and using a 2GB in the camera instead for the time being. I'll buy a 16GB card if I feel like it later. Impressions to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back