REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #136 of 1,534
Of course :) I'll have impressions over the next couple days and then probably will have a verdict on keep or sell in a week or two. The size of the 601 reminds me of the ipod photo except probably a bit thicker. The gap between songs isn't as long as I thought it would be and really short. It's something I can live with. I'm not sure what the point of the "dap mute" button is as the center button on the left effectively is a play/pause button as the dap mute button still has the music going but is just muted. Also is there any way to have the screen off but still use the buttons for play/pause, next or previous song? It has one of those press a button to turn the screen back on and then go from there. UI is pretty simple and definitely not as bad as some Cowon players I've tried such as the D2.

Just curious but are there any cases that others keep their 601 or 602 in. The pouch that comes with the 601 is a bit big and probably will attract too much lint and dust.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #137 of 1,534
I'm the wrong guy to ask, my 602/Arrow are sealed inside a Pelican case.  
tongue.gif
  A FW update is needed certainly.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #138 of 1,534
Have you noticed anything with tags? I put some mp3 files in there until I got home where my flac hd is and found that some of them had just the file name and the others was kinda strange. From the top it would be SD Card, file name, Song title, album name, artist name. I'm not sure why it's like that for some but others it's just the file name.

I left my dac/amp that I take with me on the go at home so I got to listen to the 601 instead today since I'm not using my netbook. It gets a bit warm but not by much but it's a bit helpful now as it's starting to get colder and keeps my hands a bit warmer since I haven't gotten around to buying gloves yet :p

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #140 of 1,534
I think I could find some use for the mute button. I usually use my customs with a dap outside of times when I am testing an earphone and rather not take it off and then back on. The mute button is easier to locate when the dap is in my pocket than the play/pause button. There's some times when I used the mute button useful but I'd rather have the play/pause button there and the circular button in the middle on the left to be more of an enter instead. The mute button is pretty useless 99.9% of the time however.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #141 of 1,534
Just got my 601! Sorry noob here, but when charging the 601, one of the channels cuts out. Is this normal for the hifiman's/601? Obviously not a big deal, just wonderin'.

Hmm, from a non broken in state, I still vastly prefer my MS1i's\Bowls to the Re-zero, my first quality IEM, coming out the 601. Apples to oranges though I suppose. :\

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #142 of 1,534
I think I fixed the tags. They had some random information on the tags that are not shown so I deleted those and it seems to work fine now. I kinda wish the volume slider would increase as you move it to the right instead of the left. Moving to the right is more intuitive than the other way around but I'll get used to it over time. I'm also guessing the unit doesn't tell you when it is done charging. Anyone know how long it takes to finish charging from a fully discharged battery state?

@hermeslyre: If you mean playing music and charging at the same time I did that for a little bit just now and have no channel cutting out or anything. The only thing is that I had a low hum when I had my customs on while it was charging but I was unable to hear it with my headphones.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #143 of 1,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm also guessing the unit doesn't tell you when it is done charging. Anyone know how long it takes to finish charging from a fully discharged battery state?

The unit will stop w/ the battery animation once charged but stay on and the stupid light on the wall wart stay on and doesn't change colors when done either.  A bit smarter power management would have been nice.  I believe it's 8+ hours from fully discharged.  In other words, forever.  I need to do some testing w/ my external battery packs because they are my bread and butter on the go.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #144 of 1,534
There's no light on the wall wart that they provided. It's like one of those cell phone chargers but with a EU plug and then an adapter for the US plug. I wonder if I can just use a mini usb cable with an adapter to plug it into the wall where there are two lights and one of them turning off once it is done charging. 8 hours is a pretty long charge and I guess charging with my netbook is out of the question. I'll just charge it overnight every couple of days and be good to go. It's not as bad as the mini3 amp I used to have which took forever to charge however.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #145 of 1,534
You have an EU plug w/ a US adapter?  Wow, do they make these in the same factory where Monster packs their Turbine Pros?  

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #146 of 1,534

Quote:
@hermeslyre: If you mean playing music and charging at the same time I did that for a little bit just now and have no channel cutting out or anything. The only thing is that I had a low hum when I had my customs on while it was charging but I was unable to hear it with my headphones.

That's odd. This happen for anyone else, or just me?

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #147 of 1,534
I thought they all came like that. I guess it's nice for those who travel from US to Europe a lot but that's not me so not very useful. I would have preferred the other way around :) A US plug but EU adapter would have been better. Here's what I got with adapter on bottom left.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #149 of 1,534
The ferrite bead is there..you just can't see it from that pic. I have plenty of usb cables so I'm not planning on using that cable. I like the case it comes with as it's a nice touch. I was wondering what the heck it was when I got the package today. I might get one of those ipod socks for the 601 off amazon for $2-3. It doesn't look like it would scratch too easily but don't wanna take my chances.

I noticed earlier than the 601 unfortunately doesn't like it when my cell phone is in use but isn't as bad as the T3 amp I had not too long ago. I'll do some A/B with my J3 in a couple of days and see how that goes. I recall Fang mentioning burn in for the dap. How many hours did you do before comparing it with the s:flo2? For some reason I want to keep both..maybe I'll get a setup where it's 1 dap and 1 custom each. That sounds like an amazing plan.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #150 of 1,534
OK, I apologise if this has been explained elswhere or in this thread but I can't see it!

With my ipod I use itunes, what does one use with this player? If I chose to purchase it could I convert all 360 lossless albums I have in itunes at the moment into FLAC for this player?

I love my music but I am about as technical as a wombat! Also, I see it takes SD cards so I would imagine it would be simplicity to transfer all my music onto a series of SD cards up to the an amount I want and just carry them in a case and then insert them whenever I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back