REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #121 of 140
I'm betting things change. Leave it running for long periods to get ran in at moderate volumes. The 500s shape up after maybe 50 hrs. The bass firms nicely.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #122 of 140
Quote:
Using a MacBook Air to rDac to fiio E9 using mostly spotify. I don't know what is going on. But tomorrow I am getting the Audiolab M-Dac and will see if it makes a difference. Have spent so much money on this stuff my pocket is empty now. So yes someone would be getting a bargain if things are the same after a week.

Coming from HD-650 to HE-500, I had to use significantly warmer dac+amp from the ones you mention

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #124 of 140
Quote:
Thanks all for the replies. I am going to stick to it as suggested. Even in the manual it says give it 150hrs to settle down. 

Mine took ~48 hours, not sure if that is burn-in, mental burn-in, or velour pad burn-in, or a combination of any mentioned
tongue_smile.gif
. Most noticable is sound becoming more open, bass less flabby.

Be sure to use the velour pad too. Pleather pad sounds way too muffled - not sure why Hifiman choose it to be the default pad.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #125 of 140
Quote:
Mine took ~48 hours, not sure if that is burn-in, mental burn-in, or velour pad burn-in, or a combination of any mentioned
tongue_smile.gif
. Most noticable is sound becoming more open, bass less flabby.

Be sure to use the velour pad too. Pleather pad sounds way too muffled - not sure why Hifiman choose it to be the default pad.

Or get your hands dirty and mod your pleathers into something better than both velours and stock pleathers. 
cool.gif

No snake oil included. I put my forum name on it for a reason.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #126 of 140
Currently using the O2+ODAC, for some audiophile music I need to crank up between 12 oclock to 3 oclock at 2.5x gain. Is it underpowered?
The phones are still running in though for about 2 days.

Is it too early to be looking for a >1W headphone amp? 

Also, there's a few he-500w discussion thread, need to know which link that I can find headphone fans here sharing their thoughts on the best amp that it should be paired with this monster.

Cheers.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #127 of 140
Just got these and mmm they are good. Thinking about trying the velour pads, but I've never changed ear pads before and quite frankly I'm terrified. Any advice?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #128 of 140
Quote:
Just got these and mmm they are good. Thinking about trying the velour pads, but I've never changed ear pads before and quite frankly I'm terrified. Any advice?

Cut a small rectangle from a random hard plastic gift/credit card, of about 5cm x 1cm. Trim the corners of the rectangle cutout so that they are rounded off. Use that to pop in/out the tabs of the mounting ring that secure the earpads onto the headphones.

There are four such tabs, once you pop out two adjacent tabs out of those four with the card cutout, the earpad comes right off.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #129 of 140
Quote:
Cut a small rectangle from a random hard plastic gift/credit card, of about 5cm x 1cm. Trim the corners of the rectangle cutout so that they are rounded off. Use that to pop in/out the tabs of the mounting ring that secure the earpads onto the headphones.

There are four such tabs, once you pop out two adjacent tabs out of those four with the card cutout, the earpad comes right off.

There are actually 3 items

1) phones
2) plastic slot to mount the pleather/velour pads
3) pleather/velour pads

It would be good if they can provide 2 plastic slot. Easier for everyone to attach and de-attach the 2 different pads.

Cheers.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #130 of 140
Quote:

There are actually 3 items

1) phones
2) plastic slot to mount the pleather/velour pads
3) pleather/velour pads

It would be good if they can provide 2 plastic slot. Easier for everyone to attach and de-attach the 2 different pads.

Cheers.

....No. The mounting ring (which you call the "plastic slot") comes off WITH the earpads.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #131 of 140
Quote:

Thanks, this will help a lot.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #132 of 140
All it took was 20 hrs of burnin for my HE500 to become world class . The detail is back, the soundstage is amazing, vocal are wow. Man I have seen these cans go from very good to bad to extra ordinary. Just did a comparison with my HD650 and they have now surpassed the sound quality . They sound better than the HD650 really I a, shocked. What a awesome set of cans. 

They are being powered by the Audiolab M-Dac which in it self a great unit. Time to get rid of my rPac, FiioE9K, and Akg702 and maybe the HD650. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #133 of 140
I'm interested to get HE-500 just to get to know how does Planar Magnetic headphone can performs.
so is there any amp or cable suggestion for me to get in order to maximize its potential with my Laptop + iPhone as my listening source ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back