REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
Oct 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #63 of 140

Quote:
I thought the HE500 would have more bass and more warmth than the T1?

I feel the HE500 has great bass. Very deep, very articulate and very extended. It's tight and never gives any hint of flabbiness and is one of only three headphones that can play my bass test track well without smearing the rest of the sound.

Quote:
Oi, a fine can but it's missing just that little bit of oomph.

I found it had more than enough oomph. When I had it for testing it passed all of my bass tests with flying colors. The other samples I have heard were no different, indicating to me that the quality control in the sound department is good. I wish I could have tested it with the new pleather pads as those pads give a great seal.

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #64 of 140
Picked up a pair of the 500's at RMAF just as they were packing up to leave on sunday.

I am glad I escaped out of the room I was working to go back down and listen one last time when I did.

So far I am really liking these and I thought for sure after hearing the LCD-2's last year at the show I would have a pair of those but so far am very glad I picked these up.

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #65 of 140
LFF, Thank you for the great review of the HE-500.  

Can you recommend an amp to pair with the HE-500, the Schiit Lyr?  Would like to keep to an amp budget of below $500.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #67 of 140
Quote:
LFF, Thank you for the great review of the HE-500.  

Can you recommend an amp to pair with the HE-500, the Schiit Lyr?  Would like to keep to an amp budget of below $500.

Thanks

I like using my HE-500 out of my CTH. It sounds very good and realistic and it should run way under $500 to get one.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #68 of 140
Quote:
How can you compare HE500 to old but still good Beyerdynamic DT880. Which aspects are far better which are worse?

HE-500 is better in every single aspect IMHO.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #70 of 140
Quote:
is one of only three headphones that can play my bass test track well without smearing the rest of the sound.

And what would the other two be?  Does one start with a P?

beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #71 of 140
The reason i chose to re-purchase the T1 over the HE500 was build quality. The HE500 finish is lacking and the pads were poorly designed. but I know Fang addressed the pad issue. I used an HE6 cable. The 6 was much better  The T1 has more focus IMO and nmore definition in its soundstage. I have no regrets. I do not miss having the planar and had them all and the two I started with the T1 and D7000 are the only headp[hones I have owned twice.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Today I just noticed that my HE-500 started to rust. My HE-4 has rusty screws so I cant even replace them while the HE-500 is rusting on all metallic parts. I am very sad as they are my favourite headphones and I thought I would settle down with them as my final cans. I cleaned some rust away but the colour was removed with it so the grey-silver paint is now golden-brown on some areas. :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #72 of 140
Quote:
Unfortunately I have to agree. Today I just noticed that my HE-500 started to rust. My HE-4 has rusty screws so I cant even replace them while the HE-500 is rusting on all metallic parts. I am very sad as they are my favourite headphones and I thought I would settle down with them as my final cans. I cleaned some rust away but the colour was removed with it so the grey-silver paint is now golden-brown on some areas.
frown.gif

blink.gif
Pardon for asking, but how did they rust? Are you referring to the earcups?

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #73 of 140
:blink: Pardon for asking, but how did they rust? Are you referring to the earcups?

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that.

I am guessing by the occasionally sweaty hands. The metal rings that hold the cups got rusty. But its really odd, I have so many metallic equipment and nothing got rusted, hell my whole fence is metallic and it has not rusted and its raining every couple days. I am really sad.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #74 of 140
Jul 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #75 of 140
Quote:
I am guessing by the occasionally sweaty hands. The metal rings that hold the cups got rusty. But its really odd, I have so many metallic equipment and nothing got rusted, hell my whole fence is metallic and it has not rusted and its raining every couple days. I am really sad.

Contact HiFiMan.

AFAIK, from personal experience and from others, their customer service is fantastic. See if they can do anything for you.

FWIW, I know people who have one since they first came out and there is no sign of rust. Really strange...
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back