REVIEW: HiFi ET MA8 DAP
Sep 12, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 51
From reading your reviews I get the impression that MA9 is more laid back, MA8 is more forward, and iHIFI960 is somewhere between the two?
What about soundstage width/depth, my guess is iHIFI960 > MA8, is that correct?

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 51
  From reading your reviews I get the impression that MA9 is more laid back, MA8 is more forward, and iHIFI960 is somewhere between the two?
What about soundstage width/depth, my guess is iHIFI960 > MA8, is that correct?

Yes, you are correct on both guesses. 

I'm working on getting Rockbox on my MA9. Finally found a Windows XP machine to use. The instructions are complicated compared to most other Rockbox installs, so we'll see if my little brain can figure it out. If it works for me, I hope to see Rockbox come to the MA8 soon as well. Don't see why it wouldn't. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #35 of 51

No hiss that I recall. 

It seems like it is easier to hear it on earphones with high sensitivity, on silent tracks, when you increase volume.
BTW, if you don't like the amp section of MA8, there is a balanced amp board available for order, compatible with both MA8 and MA9. It would be interesting to compare both models with this board installed versus stock ones.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #37 of 51
Hello everyone, stock MA8 or stock ihifi 960 will be better with v-moda crossfade m100? Someone hear m100 with ma8 and ihifi 960?

Sorry, I don't have an M100 to try. I have M80 and it sounds good with both - a little brighter with MA8, a little smoother with 960. 

I tried Rockbox on my MA8 and can't get it to work for some reason. I got the MA9 going just fine with Rockbox, and it's now my favorite DAP. AK100? DX100? Who needs those?

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #38 of 51
Thank you, I have Iphone 5 and v moda m100,but I think player will be better, I'm new in audiophile players) I can't listen ma8 or ihifi 960 and what will be better, I like house, electronic music. Sorry if my english is not very good. And stock ma8,ihifi 960 > stock dx50, fiio x3?

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 51
What this rockbox give? Ma8 will have better sound?How I can rockbox ma8?

The sound is only improved if you use EQ features, which are very nice in Rockbox and not so nice in the stock firmware. But it just makes for a better user experience overall. Instructions are HERE

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #45 of 51
I can't choose ihifi 960 or ma8( is rockbox ma8 better than stock ihifi 960 with v moda crossfade m100, which player better with electronic music?

Hi Audio17,
I've been in a similar choice situation only a week ago, and I asked several guys on the Russian forum who listened to both ihifi960 and MA8.
It seems both this models are not very popular among head-fiers, but more popular among russian-speaking audiophiles.
Some guys said they are on the same level of quality, but sound different. 960 was often described as more bright, airy, analytical. Some said it was a bit "sterile" or too bright.
Most guys, however, prefered MA8 to IHIFI960 because of many reasons: "fun" sound signature, detailing, soundstage.
I think the difference might depend on your headphones. As Project86 mentioned, some are better paired with 960, and some with MA8.
Besides, MA8 offers better screen, USB DAC, rockbox, and possible upgradability in the future (for now you can order only a balance amplifier card for around $160).
But if this is your first audiophile player, you wouldn't be disappointed with any of these two.
At least I was told so.

I decided to go for MA8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back