[REVIEW] Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 and impressions thread
Jun 8, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #34 of 269

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS!
Okay, I've spent a few days listening to these (and some burn-in time on a playlist set to very loud) and going to my old set of Atrios to compare.

The FS Spectrum Series G10 has the Future Sonics DNA for sure. The basic tuning is like the Atrio, they are clearly and immediately related to one another. That means real sub-bass really filling in the bottom end of the sound and a monitor realism in the midrange and treble, with no artificial spikes in the treble.

However, the SS G10 is better in just about every way both sonically and otherwise than the Atrio. Head to head with the Atrio, the G10 is more detailed, with a crisper, tighter sound from end to end. The treble is more prominent and the midrange cuts cleanly and easily to sing through the powerful bass, which somehow doesn't encroach on the mids.

Isolation is better, too. The soundstage, for me and my experience, was good for an iem and had good depth, but let me say this: Some people complained about the soundstage for the Atrio (which people who had Future Sonics' own custom silicone sleeves discounted as being a fit issue). The universal tips are exactly the same ones here and the excellent full-custom silicone are too. So, I'd say soundstage here will probably be intimate on the G10 for those for whom the Atrio was intimate. I would highly recommend the custom silicone sleeves.

On the outside, the housing is more sturdy, being coated metal, the cable is beefed up and the strain relief has been redesigned for added strength. It's very wearable and designed to be over-ear.

All in all, it's a different tuning than many iems, particularly armature-based ones, but if you're up for it and willing to take the time to let your ears adjust, it's a sound that really draws you in and reminds me of live music events.

Thank you Kunlun! Looking forward to your full review :)

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #35 of 269
Thanks Kunlun,i ordered from usa via ebay,
http://www.ineargear.com/
Mike is a great guy and shiped right away.
Can you give some info on the custom sleeve options?
Manu thx:thumbsup:

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #36 of 269
  Hope that FS will have a package deal for the G10 and the silicon sleeves. 

The G10 and custom silicone sleeves are a very good combination, that's for sure.

tks for the review kunkun. now hopefully they announce something for their ciems... :)

Thanks! Well, one earphone at a time!
I'm slowly and politely bugging Marty Garcia about ciems, though!
  Thank you Kunlun! Looking forward to your full review :)

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #37 of 269
Thanks Kunlun,i ordered from usa via ebay,
http://www.ineargear.com/
Mike is a great guy and shiped right away.
Can you give some info on the custom sleeve options?
Manu thx:thumbsup:

The FS custom silicone earsleeves are full-custom, they fit just like my silicone ciems.

My set is 4 years old and still fits perfectly.

You can see my ear has its own shape and how the FS silicone custom sleeves go beyond just the ear canal for a true custom fit. I like them a lot. Sorry about the cell phone picture!

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #38 of 269
I am glad I found this thread, I am going to pick up the G10 after work. All these years I had no idea Future Sonics is right down the road from where I live.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #42 of 269
  Need some more impressions asap! I would love to know how the mids are I remember the Atrios originally sounding a little flat and emotionless. 

The mids are great! If you want a monitor-like sound, that is. If you want an earphone that adds warmth and thickness to the presentation, then maybe a shure 535 or something. It's all about what's right for each person.

I would say the added detail and balance of the G10 is a definite plus over the Atrio in terms of involvement, However, both the G10 and Atrio are stage monitors so they try not to add to the midrange beyond having a small boost necessary to bring the lead singer or instrumentalist out of the mix on stage. Personally, I like the clean sound of the mids and treble with the full bottomless bass energy of the G10.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #43 of 269
  The mids are great! If you want a monitor-like sound, that is. If you want an earphone that adds warmth and thickness to the presentation, then maybe a shure 535 or something. It's all about what's right for each person.

I would say the added detail and balance of the G10 is a definite plus over the Atrio in terms of involvement, However, both the G10 and Atrio are stage monitors so they try not to add to the midrange beyond having a small boost necessary to bring the lead singer or instrumentalist out of the mix on stage. Personally, I like the clean sound of the mids and treble with the full bottomless bass energy of the G10.

Great impressions so far.  Can we get some comparisons to other single driver dynamics you own or have heard recently?

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #44 of 269
Great impressions so far.  Can we get some comparisons to other single driver dynamics you own or have heard recently?

I was comparing the G10 to my jvc fx-850 and senn ie800 the other day. I can talk about that in an addendum to my review (when I write it). How's that?

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #45 of 269
One complaint I have the nozzles diameter is small so standard size tips wont fit. I am using the double flang tips they came with were they are slightly longer then the sound tube, having small ears I need to be careful inserting them if I had them in off a little it choked the sound channel and kinked it a little bit effecting the sound.

My impressions only after 3 hours, they are very detailed and balanced, depending on what type of music you are listeneing to they can come across a little on the warmer side. Then lower frequencies goes deep in sub and mid bass but still controlled. Again depending on the music the higher frequencies can sound distant, but the retrieval of detail is unbelievable.

I am going to modify some tips to fit it with differant diameter openings and see what happen. I think after I rack some hours up they will really open up. One thing crap in crap out these will definetly show you if your recordings are highly compressed, which is a good thing they are very revealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back