Review : Denon D5000, Audio Technica AD2000 and Sennheiser HD595
Aug 18, 2007 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

musicmind

1000+ Head-Fier
For the past 3 weeks I've enjoyed a lengthy listening period with the Denon D5000 (my grateful thanks to Afrikane) and I thought it might be useful for me to write down some of my comparative impressions alongside the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 and my first pair of headphones, the Sennheiser HD 595 (50 ohm version).
My current low-fi listening rig doesnt really qualify me to write a review, but seeing that comparative reviews of the AD2000 and Denon D5000 are scarce on head-fi at this date, I think this post could help shed light on :

- how these two 500$ category headphones sound relative to each other,
- what they offer sonically over the HD595, which is a common first purchase and a headphone familiar to many head-fiers.

My objective isnt to declare a winner of a "shoot-out at high noon/deathmatch" kind of review, but just to comment as best I can on the sound of these great headphones which are all highly recommmended in their price ranges.

Audio Hardware : onboard SOUNDMAX HD Audio on an ASUS P5B motherboard (like I said...low-fi
icon10.gif
)
4thGen iPod Photo 60Gb using the line out dock
All of these headphones having low impedance and quite high efficiency at least meant that none of them are being grossly underpowered. The PC soundcard does have more amplification than the ipod, but the ipod is a little lessnoisy and I used both for my listening.

Music source : various FLAC and 320kbps mp3 played through foobar2k (no plugins or EQ selected).

Review Procedure : I used tracks that many would be familiar with, that highlight different aspects of the audio spectrum and different genres. I listened to each track on the same headphone several times and then changed over to the next headphone to repeat the process. I made comments for each song, rather than only comment on their collective performance. This way, perhaps the reader can get a better idea of what I am trying to describe.

No head-fi review would be considered remotely complete without some eye-candy, so here are a few mobilephone pics of the headphones. Please check ASR's AD2000 loaner review and Skylab's Denon 5000 review for more detailed pics.

AD2000 :
ad2000jv5.jpg

AD2000 "phatpad" tube inserts :
photo0055bu4.jpg

Denon 5000 :
denon1wd2.jpg

Sennheiser 595 :
senn595qx9.jpg

Fender Eric Johnson Strat & phones :
photo00723ul3.jpg

Build quality and Comfort

I wont go into rehashing because many have already commented in detail about these headphones in the specific reviews. The Denon is the most comfortable and is quite light on the head despite being a "woody". The Denon's cable is of a high quality, with an external weave material insulation. There are also pics of the cut cable on head-fi, showing the cotton insulation of each conductor wire inside. Despite having leather earpads, I didnt notice any heating or sweating that is sometimes reported after long listening. One issue that has surfaced recently is some reports of the screws falling out, and that Denon are addressing this problem. I think the D5000 needs to be treated quite delicately, not to put stress on this pivot mechanism when not using the headphones.

The Sennheiser 595 is the 50 ohm version from 2006 and is also tremendously comfortable. The AD2000 is bit quirky when it comes to comfort, because the pads are less substantial, causing some people's ears to actually rest against the mesh protecting the driver. The AD2000 I have has the "phat-pad" mod (ie. rubber tubing placed inside the ear cups) to increase the comfort. All of the headphones feel comfortable against the ears and dont exhibit any clamping like a HD650. No microphonics or curling tendencies were observed on any the cables.

Well, with the preamble out of the way....on to the real stuff.

I've listened to quite a lot of music for this review but the comments I make for the several songs below pretty much sum up my sentiments about their comparative sound. I've catergorised them with respect to genres.

Jazz (Instrumental)

Cannonball Adderley w/ Miles Davis - Autumn Leaves

The D5000 is incredible for really bringing out the walking bass lines, detailed and with great texture.The alto sax is palpable and you can hear Cannonball taking his breath between phrases and also the way he alters the volume of his sax by moving to and from the mic during his solo. Each instrument is very detailed sounding, like the decay of the sustained piano notes in the solo, or the brush strokes of the drum.
The bass impact is notably less with the AD2000, but the detail and extension is still there in abundance. I can better hear the piano doubling the bass riff, which was less evident in the Denon, where the bass heaviness makes this less noticeable. The tamer bass allows the piano accompaniment to Miles to be heard clearly with less effort. The ride cymbal is also easier to hear over the trumpet riff in the intro, including Miles shifting on his chair before starting the main theme.
The AD2000 sound is slightly less foward and more airy, which benefits Miles' muted trumpet and gives it a more brilliant reverberant metallic sound, the dynamics of his playing and the increased reverb with his louder bursty phrases is clearer. The sound is noticably less warm, and what many would term as being "more accurate or flat" compared to the Denon. The AD2000 is a little less pronounced in the highs, so on this song, with the high pitch trumpet and alto sax, there is less listening fatigue. The D5000 engages you much closer with the music so this is to be expected. The D5000 warmth benefits Cannonball's velvety alto tone more I feel, whereas the AD2000 is not as full-bodied in its presentation of the alto sax. The sound stage is comparable, but the Denon is a little more closed in and intimate.

The 595 presentation is warm, closer to the D5000 than to the AD2000 sound and not as forward or clear as either of the other two across the audio spectrum. The 595 is said not to have enough bass, but I would rather say it has a less focused bass compared to the other two when unamped, at least on my system as it is. The 595 loses out on the bass extension and clarity, the lowest notes are a bit fuzzy in comparison. The piano in the outro solo sounds hazy in comparison, with less "tinkle" to the sound. Still enjoyable and a decent headphone, but the extra fidelity and precision of the other two models is evident when compared back to back in this fashion.

Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond - Take Five

Starting with the AD2000, the brilliant clarity and sparkle of the ride cymbal and drums engage you, with a great sense of space. Paul Desmond's self-described "dry martini" alto sax tone is very focused and the dynamics of his phrasing are conveyed eagerly. The drum solo is particularly enjoyable, even though you can hear bits of one musician talking in the background. The sense of hollowness of the drum and the taut drum skins is palpably real and immerses you in the music. On the D5000, the drums and cymbals sound a little less detailed and more "confined" or damped, you dont get the sense of reverb or natural decay around the snare and cymbals. Bass is more impactful. The alto tone has more warmth and body to it.
On the 595, the drums sound further away and less focused. Definitely laid back in comparison, you are sitting further back and are not getting the sense of immediacy of the music. The alto sax sound really good, the Senn warmth makes it sound a bit more lush than the AD2000.

Classical

Vivaldi - Flute Concerto In D (The Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble)

This short piece featuring violins, flute and harpsichord, is used on the Chesky sampler CD to showcase "focus", ie the clarity of the instrument within the soundstage of the recording.
Starting with the 595, the entire spectrum felt nicely balanced, from the highest pitch of the flute, to the violins and the ocassional pulses of bassier instruments. The instrument separation was distinct, with violins, flute and harpsichord being located with good clarity. I have always thought the Sennheiser 595/650 suits classical music for my taste, and the 595 sounded very good with this piece.
Next up, the Denon D5000. Immediately a sense of increased clarity is noticeable while still keeping the same warm signature of the 595. The strings are more coherent and the bass is tighter. The harpsichord and higher register of the violin are clearer. This deeper and faster bass makes the D5000 sound better compared to the 595's slight fuzziness. As far as focus goes, the difference between the two is immediately obvious with all the instruments in this recording.
With the AD2000, the clarity is very similar to the Denon. The airiness and improved soundstaging is evident, the bass is less impactful but more textured. You get the feeling of being in an high-roofed auditorium, and perhaps the less bass sound gives it a more nimble, detailed perception.

Beethoven 5th Symphony - Allegro con brio - (Carlos Kleiber/WPO)

Listening to this with the D5000 was incredible, from the opening motif, the Denon's robust and lively sound allows the piece to come to life, from the deep pulsing bass to the feintest flute, oboe or violin, all the textures were beautifully reproduced with balance and control. Excellent focus and PRaT. The Denon gives a very "live performance" kind of presentation to me.
The AD2000 was a little more detailed in the treble in some parts, and was therefore more capable in the quiet passages and at coveying the texture of the violins...but overall the D5000 was more to my liking, it sounds more complete across the spectrum where it matters to engage you in the music.
The bass drums dont have the same impact on the AD2000.

The 595 is noticeably mellower, has a resemblance of the Denons warmth down low but neither the focus nor detail of the other two. You do not get the same sense of texture with the brass or strings. With the AD2000 there is more of a sense of the physical vibration of the instrument, like the buzzing of the mouthpiece and instruments of the horn section. The AD2000 also picks up a lot of extraneous sounds, like bow sounds and other movement during the quieter passages. While the 595 sounds good, the intimacy and immediacy of the other two phones is not there. Enjoyable and smooth but when you have the Denon at hand, its hard to pick the 595 unless you prefer the laidback presentation for background listening.

Electronica / Ambient

Shpongle - Behind Closed Eyelids

The Denon D5000 handles every sonic test this song throws at it, from the driving bass line, to the various sound effects of thunder, vocals, rattles, keyboards...everything sounds right and accurately reproduced. No detail feels lost. No fatiguing even in the most complex and busy parts. The soundstage feels small but the imaging sounds enjoyable especially in the quieter outro.
The AD2000's less prominent bass lets you focus on other sounds a little freer. Noticeably airier than the D5000, the synth section sounds more enjoyable and all electronic samples and sound effects have a sense of space, the reverb on each effect is more audbile and gives a more 3-dimensional effect. The soundstage and imaging is fantastic. Even though the song rides strongly on a bassline, the electronic samples have really come to life with the AD2000. Despite the many simultaneous samples in the percussive section around the 7:40 mark, it never sounds congested. This headphone loves electronica and ambient. The Denon also sounds incredible but I didnt get that "speaker-like" sense of wide soundstage in comparison and the imaging was also less pronounced. The D5000 is fun, while the AD200 is a bit more surreal.
The 595 fared quite nicely but lacked the clarity and refinement of the other two. Warm and unoffending, laid-back presentation, but lacks the "wow" factor of the other two in either soundstaging and clarity.

Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun

Pretty much parallel to the above, the Senn 595 lets you observe the music, the Denon 5000 and AD2000 get you immersed in it. The bass is prominent in this song and the Denons dish it out in spades, perhaps a little too enthusiastically at times. The details like tambourine shakes, and other digital sounds seem more clear and 3-dimensional with the AD2000.

Zero 7 - Polaris

The AD2000 suits this song really well, with various percussion effects like shakes and jingles, and synth effects benefiting from the clarity of the AD2000. The soundstaging is pronounced, with bongo drums, synths, drums coming from distinct areas, whereas other recurring shakes, rattles and jingles swirling around you with impressive sense of depth compared to the other two headphones. Strings sound good, but colder, more crystalline compared to the other two phones which add a thickness and warmth to them. The snares have great attack and bite to their sound. The D5000 once again accentuated the bass noticeably more, but didnt let the various synth and percussive effects breathe as much as the AD2000.
The Senn 595 has slight more bass impact, noticeably laid back and the various shake and rattle effects are noticeably further back...you are listening to the track, rather than being immersed in the sound as with the AD2000.

Vocal

Ella Fitzgerald - Round Midnight

Double bass, drum, piano and the unmistakable Ella rendering a heartfelt version of this classic. The AD2000 midrange forwardness really makes this an intimate vocal performance, where every subtle nuance and phrasing is pictured vividly.
Piano accompaniment to Ella is more noticeable with the AD2000. The piano and Ella do not get in eachother's way and can be enjoyed individually. On this track, the main attraction was always Ella's singing, but on the AD2000, the piano was brought forward and the piece became more of a duet, an interwoven melody of the piano and Ella's voice. The AD2000 really added something new to this song IMO compared to the 595 because of its midrange enhancing the piano. Bass is tight and balanced.

The D5000 seats you closer to the bass. The piano and vocal separation is not as marked as with the AD2000. It sounds like the piano is stuck between the bass and the vocals, trying to shoulder its way out into the mix. The bass seems to be temporally masking the piano fills in some parts. The leaner bass of the AD2000 gives the piano room to let the notes sound out and feature as part of the harmony.

Nat King Cole - Christmas Song

The velvet-voiced Nat King Cole. The Denon's sound works well with this warm recording and Nat's voice, while still providing ample sheen for the strings, harp and the piano. The bass and guitar have been recorded and mixed to sound warm as is frequent in jazz ballads of this period, to add to the "christmas by the fire" mood of this song, so the bass sounds a little fuzzy on this track. With the AD2000, these effects are tamed and the various instruments sound tighter and more focused. The violins sound more noticeable and their dynamics more engaging. All the instruments are improved in clarity. I guess this song shows that already warm sounding recordings or equipment might be too much on the Denon, whereas the AD2000's cooler nature would balance things out with warmer audio equipment. Both of these headphones have the vocals forward and centred, only difference is that the AD2000 has a slightly leaner/crisper rendering of Nat's voice, whereas Denon is warmer and full. To some this might make the AD2000 a bit "nasal" in comparison, but to my ears they didnt sound unrealistic.
The Senn 595 is closer to the warmth of the Denon, and while lacking the bass presence, it has the right amount for this song. The strings are further away and lack the dynamics of the AD2000, pleasant but not as engaging and emotive as the other two cans.

Nina Simone - Feeling good

The vocals are forward and intimate and the AD2000 lets you appreciate every subtle nuance Nina puts into her phrasing and vibrato. The sound of musicians settling in can be heard at the start of the track, coming from distinctly separate parts of the studio. The AD2000 has the brass, strings and piano separated quite well and you can pick them out clearly in the mix.

With the D5000 the sound is noticably warmer and bassier compared to the learner AD2000. The vocals are slightly back compared to the AD2000, where the mouthing of every phrase could almost be visualised. The piano and strings accompaniment is slightly less emphasised compared to the AD2000.

The 595 has the vocals slightly further back and you dont feel you are sitting face to face with Nina as with the AD2000. The strings sounds very pleasant, as always I find the Sennheiser house sound goes well with strings to my ears. The piano accompaniment sounds very distant and only becomes clear during certain passages, whereas the other two maintained clarity with their extended treble.

Rock and Metal

Incubus - Megalomaniac

Quite a varied track, with varying dynamics, layered guitars and synth sound effects. The Denon is terrific, the bass, drums, cymbals, guitars and vocals, everything is detailed and engaging without being fatiguing. Every little nuance from the lowest bass riff to the little synth effects is presented with equal authority.
As the song fades out the drummer does one last hi-hat fill which I hadnt noticed with the 595. The drums sound terrific and the snare attacks sound crisp. On the AD200, the soft build-up of the snare grabs your attention more. With the bass of the Denons absent, the song is not as enjoyable however. Its like listening on a smaller bookshelf speaker versus a fullsize floorstander with a dedicated bass driver. There is also a granier, grittier guitar sound and the enhanced splash cymbals in the loud chorus gets a little bit fatiguing.
The Senn 595 seems to be a happy compromise of the two others. Definitely not as detailed, and the snare strikes during the quiet section do not have the same sharp attack as the AD2000. More bass warmth than the AD2000. The guitar fills backing the vocalist are not as clear as on the Denon. That said, they are also less demanding of the listener and less fatiguing for this song. After the AD2000, the 595 gave my ears a welcome rest from the drums, cymbal splashes and grainy distorted guitars. Back to the Denon...incredible...everything is better...from the bass coming in earlier to get you rocking, to the whispy synth sound building up with the drums. The treble extension is noticeable compared to the Sennheisers.

Pantera - Mouth for War

The D5000 sounds at home on this track, from the heavy low guitar riff to the harmonic guitar squeals, it all sounds beautifully balanced.
The AD2000 is grainier from the start, I can hear the grit of the distorted guitar but it lacks the impact of the Denon, with a drier less bassy presentation as to be expected. The drums and hi-hat are more noticable throughout the song.
With AD2000 the song is less fun, as the power-metal thick guitar sound really works well with the bassier Denons.
HD 595 seems to miss out on the kick drum sound, the song sounds like it is missing the last level of bass presence, leaving out the full impact of the kick drum which makes this kind of music a little less fun and engaging. I think they are a little too slow to give the impact this music needs. Back to the Denons and the difference is striking.

Korn - Freak on a Leash

Compared to the 595, the Denon is more forward, vocals are more engaging and the guitars are a little clearer. Everything is improved across the board, with better detail yet still less fatiguing, and the bass obviously adds body to the guitar riffs. Switching to the AD2000 takes some adjusting to the leaner bass, but once your ears have done so, the AD2000 comes into its element. The other parts of the spectrum are now less overwhelmed by the bass and can compete for your attention. The warble effect on the guitar samples sounds clearer, the drummer's cymbal strikes are more audible. Hard to say which one I prefer, both AD2000 and Denon are very good on this track in different ways.

Summary

On my system, I would say rock and metal is best heard with the Denon, because the bass and drums which form the driving energy of this genre is more pronounced with the D5000. With a warm amp perhaps the AD2000 can be given more impact to enjoy this style of music a little more. For classical I would also mostly favour the D5000 or the Senneheiser sound.

For electronica, instrumental jazz and vocals I would probably prefer the AD2000 with its wider soundstaging, airiness and better imaging which complements these genres. They are both very detailed across the audio spectrum so you wont be companing about any "veil" with these headphones.

I havent heard enough headphones and amps to make any bold recommendations, but at the moment I dont see the Denon 5000 being hyped or FOTM. I think they are excellent sounding, and additionally they are tremendously comfortable, easy to drive and closed, which makes it a great headphone in many regards. They however do have a smaller soundstage, do not convey a sense of air and sometimes the bass can be a bit domineering, preventing you from following other nuances in the music.
The AD2000's strong point is the bass detail, enhanced midrange, soundstaging and imaging which makes small ensemble instrumental music very enjoyable for me. With electronica, the AD2000 allows you to get lost in the music.

As for the HD595, with the Denon D2000 being in the comparable price range and said to be very similar sounding to the Denon D5000, I would be inclined to say the Denon D2000 would be a better deal (to my listening preference) if you want a more engaging and energetic presentation. The Senn 595 still offers good value at its price for unamped, casual listening and is not offensive in any way, but is not particularly excellent in any area.

In closing, my gratitude again to Afrikane for the opportunity to listen to, and through his own legendary generosity, now own the Denon D5000 and to Xenithon for the AD2000, the "phatpads" and the fun mini-meets
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks also to all those too numerous to mention whose participation and honest reviews makes head-fi such a great online audio community.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 48
Excellent review indeed! Thanks for taking the time!

I don't know about the other phones in your review, but, in my experience, the D5000 sounds much like what you describe. The one area where I may be able to add a little to your impressions is deep bass. For jazz organ and dynamic soundtracks with a lot of action at the low end, I think the D5000 is one of two or three headphones to beat on the current scene. Partnered with a Max'ed-out HeadRoom Desktop amp (that Max DAC is a monster!), it gives me all the bass I'll ever need. The relatively narrow soundstage -- as well as the relatively forward presentation (which is often a non-issue with close-miked recordings) -- is what keeps it from being my number one favorite. But it's very close to the top -- with all that PRaT and detail and looks and comfort.

Cheers,

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 48
Great and detailed review!

Soundinista - what are the other 2-3 headphones "to beat", out of curiosity? (And not to go too OT, what parts of your HR Desktop are "Max'd" out - just the DAC or other parts too? (I'm in the market . . . )).

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by splawren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great and detailed review!

Soundinista - what are the other 2-3 headphones "to beat", out of curiosity? (And not to go too OT, what parts of your HR Desktop are "Max'd" out - just the DAC or other parts too? (I'm in the market . . . )).

Well, well...should have known that those numbers would get me into trouble at Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

It may actually be more than 3 phones in production today with that kind of deep bass output. Skylab is my source for deep bass and he's mentioned more than 3, in addition to the Darths. So, thanks for the opportunity to withdraw that claim. I should have been more careful. But I still think that there are very few phones on the market for deep bass. And we've often been misled about the matter, because, as Headphile's Larry has noted, most people's standards for headphone-bass are really low. Example: Notice how otherwise-reliable reviewers for Stereophile (and other mags too, but I forget the specifics) have praised certain headphones for bass response that should be regarded as insufficient. (Btw, with all due respect to the hi-fi mags, I was shocked to realize, when I first came to Head-Fi a few months ago, how much more knowledgeable and demanding than most professional reviewers some people here are in headphone matters. It's a massacre!)

In any case, subjectively speaking (no measurements), I think I hear a strong 30Hz out of both the DT990-250 and the JVC DX-1000. Sky reports having found a strong 25Hz for the latter, using a Stereophile test CD, I think. In my experience, the D5000 doesn't best those phones, but neither is it bested by them.

As regards the Max Desktop, mine came with their top-of-the-line Max Module, in addition to the Max DAC. (It shouldn't be described as "max'ed-out" unless it has that module.) The HR Max DAC made the most noticeable difference in my system, feeding a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp -- a phenomenal difference when compared to the mid-fi D/A conversion I was getting from my Samsung universal player (now replaced with an Oppo universal player) -- like bass doubling in size, holographic imaging, gigantic soundstage, etc. But maybe that level of performance can also be had from their less expensive Home DAC, or other good non-HR DAC's. I don't know. I do know I'm happy with the setup. (Wes Phillips has given the Max'ed-out Desktop a glowing review at Stereophile, btw.) The phones I'm using are brutally revealing, and I thought it might be a waste to plug them into a lesser amp/DAC. So, I went as far as I could afford. But I have a very limited view of the amp/DAC market. (I'm a committed solid state hobbyist, btw. Nothing short of epiphany will drag me into the tubes thing -- and I very much doubt that there is epiphany there to be had. But no dogmas here.)

Cheers,

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 48
awesome review, i have a feeling I will be getting two headphones in the near future instead of one ad2000. A denon d2000 might be a great secondary can if it is close to the d5000 in sound

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 48
Musicmind, how would you rate the d5000s midrange vs the ad2000s? Which one has a more natural tone listening to any piece of music overall

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 48
Wonderful review! That should be quite helpful to anyone who is considering either the D5000 or the AD2000, and especially to those who are considering both of them! I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of your description of each, and in my limited experience with the HD595, you're pretty much spot on there as well.

I think these kinds of reviews are amazingly honest. The reader gets no sense that the writer is trying to "sell" anything or to puff up one product over another. More than that, it's a sincere attempt to put words to the wonderful things you've been hearing and to say thanks to a fellow Head-Fi'er for lending you a pair of headphones.

So often, not just of late but for as long as I can remember, when people are doing their reviews, they seem to be attempting to over describe the subtle differences that they're hearing and thus pronouncing one product or another as a clear winner in all (or virtually all) respects. At times, that can be quite misleading.

In this case, I've had a lot of listening time with both the AD2000 and the D5000 and agree with your assessment that each one is an excellent product in it's own way. They're priced very similarly and deliver a very similar value and it just comes down to the listeners sonic tastes and preferences. While they each give quite a different flavor to the music, neither is the clear winner IMO. This seems to be your opinion as well. One might get a 9 out of 10, while the other would get a 9.2 or an 8.8, depending on the listener.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 48
excellent review! I am really tempted now to upgrade from my ms-1/emu 0404 setup haha

Have you listened to the Denons D2000 as well, and how does it compare to D5000s? Like what would you say the percentage of d5000 are the d2000...like would you say the d2000 are 80% of a d5000 or higher or lower?

too bad you didnt compare with better amps and sources and what not. anyone know what would be some good amps that synergize with the d2000 and d5000?

Have you tried to listened to the Markl mod? I would be very interested on what you have to say to that.

And sexy guitar...eric johnson is a beast! haha
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 48
Great review and impressions! Amp and good source would really benefit your rig by quite a bit! Very unbiased review as well - I really enjoyed that
biggrin.gif

You should try AD2000 with regular pads as well - I felt that was the best setup to bring out the details IMO. It is equal or greater to details present on DT880s after good burn-in IMO.

I had my pair for about 2 weeks now, and my K701 has not been touched since
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the great review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back