Review: Denon D2000
Oct 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #216 of 232
So I just bought a pair of the D2000s wanting to see what the hype is all about and spent a bit of time listening to them both unamped and amped (SOHA II) with various styles of music including a bit of rock, jazz, reggae, and acoustic music.

Bottom line - I'm sending mine back,

There are certainly some highlights - great sound stage, deep bass extension, well made, and comfortable but I just couldn't get over the mid range and the often harsh high end.  The mid range to me sounds hollow, almost like you are listening to music with your head inside a bucket.  It just isn't natural and I'm sure it has something to do with being a closed can.

The highs brought a lot of sibilance to the point that it was offensive and harsh on the ears.  while the full bottom end response and recessed mids made me want to turn the music up - the harsh highs continually made me turn he music down.

I'd really be interested in hearing some of the MarkL mod-ed D2000/D5000 to see how effective the mod is.  From what I have read the full mod addresses the mid range hollowness and the harsh highs while tightening the bass - might just address all of my issues. 

I have listened to my fair share of headphones and honestly struggle to understand how these have been so highly regarded.  I bought these as an upgrade to my Grado SR60s and after some extensive A/B testing I actually prefer the SR60s.  Yes there was more detail in the highs and a little more bass extension but for me the flaws far outweighed the highlights.  My $.02 - if you are looking for a audiophile reference quality headphone I'd look elsewhere.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #217 of 232

Quote:
So I just bought a pair of the D2000s wanting to see what the hype is all about and spent a bit of time listening to them both unamped and amped (SOHA II) with various styles of music including a bit of rock, jazz, reggae, and acoustic music.

Bottom line - I'm sending mine back,

There are certainly some highlights - great sound stage, deep bass extension, well made, and comfortable but I just couldn't get over the mid range and the often harsh high end.  The mid range to me sounds hollow, almost like you are listening to music with your head inside a bucket.  It just isn't natural and I'm sure it has something to do with being a closed can.

The highs brought a lot of sibilance to the point that it was offensive and harsh on the ears.  while the full bottom end response and recessed mids made me want to turn the music up - the harsh highs continually made me turn he music down.

I'd really be interested in hearing some of the MarkL mod-ed D2000/D5000 to see how effective the mod is.  From what I have read the full mod addresses the mid range hollowness and the harsh highs while tightening the bass - might just address all of my issues. 

I have listened to my fair share of headphones and honestly struggle to understand how these have been so highly regarded.  I bought these as an upgrade to my Grado SR60s and after some extensive A/B testing I actually prefer the SR60s.  Yes there was more detail in the highs and a little more bass extension but for me the flaws far outweighed the highlights.  My $.02 - if you are looking for a audiophile reference quality headphone I'd look elsewhere.

I know how you feel.  I have been preferring my SR80i's over the D2000 for the reasons you stated.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #218 of 232
What??? Hi, first post, long time lurker, but don't tell me that, I just bought a pair. My first pair of headphones (and only) were Grado SR80s, and after doing alot of research I decided on the Denon 2000s. They seem to offer alot of what the Grados don't have, namely bass. I've eqed a little bass in when listening on a computer, but I believe there's a reason the lower end Grados don't have much bass, it's because it begins to muddy up; they could give them more bass with minimal effort; and again, I believe that's because the bass dropoff is somewhat uneven, and I'd have to do alot of work to figure out exactly where it is. That or it could be that Itunes isn't so hot at eqing...

Anyways I've listened to the Denons a little, first on my phone, which is terrible, and then plugging it into an out on some computer speakers, which weren't any better, but right now all I have is a deeper appreciation for the Grados. Grados in general are even better with decent amping everyone says, and some people bash them for their aggressiveness, but it's the aggressiveness that makes them sound good on any source; I find that when the average person listens to a song, they're listening for things to pop out at them. Which is why I'm excited to hear that the Denons have aggressive highs and bass, because I won't be able to afford great amping for a long time. Just ordered the Fiio E10, which should ship in a month or so >l Whatever though, my computer out is decentish.

The only other thing I wanted to say is that the disparity between the first and last page of this thread is pretty large. It sounds like the OP simply found what he was looking for, because in the end music is very mental; I find that the more abstract and less definite our senses get, the more our mind has an impact. Which is one reason I laugh at all the guys arguing about how much an impact a cable or whatever will have on something. Even if it does, your mind is already such a huge variable that it's not as big a deal as alot of guys make it out to be. Anyways I'd be interested to see what amping you guys have that are hating on the 2000s. One of the bad things about aggressive highs is that they tend to make even level mids sound slightly recessed, which is what I think probably happens with these phones. And the lesser the quality and power of the amp, the more mids and bass are affected before the highs.

So this has gotten really off topic in a few places, but I'll do some serious listening on my computer and receiver tonight and see what I think about these babys. They will have to try hard to beat the SR80s, because I have fond memories of listening to the end of Mahler 2 and Shostakovich 7 on those, and as much as I might try, I'm not going to be able to put aside my love of hearing the power of those pieces in search of another sound signature, no matter how superior that signature may be. On a side note, I'm interested to see if the E10 is any better than listening to a computer -> coaxial -> sony receiver. I've also got an old Marantz 2230 I need to fix up, which is another reason I got the Denons; the Marantz may just tame any aggressiveness the Denons have in the highs.

edit: nvm

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #219 of 232
After listening, these definitely need good amping, at least I assume. The bass is nowhere near as thumping as I was led to believe, though it does sound pretty good and I haven't been able to make it rolloff yet. The upper highs are even brighter than the Grados, and that's not a good thing. It was the fact that the Grados had bright highs, along with upper mids that made the signature come across so well. In music without upper highs, the Denons sound great, and I just hear a sort of sparkle. But put an enthusiastic cymbal player in a good recording, and I'm suddenly afraid of damaging my hearing. What everyone said about recessed mids is not true, but it might as well be because of the focus on the upper highs. These need a warm amp, so I'll try that next. I imagine they would go incredibly well with tube amps, despite what I've read. I suppose they're actually more balanced than the Grados, but the upper highs are unforgiveable. However, the King sounds pretty good :)

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #220 of 232

Quote:
After listening, these definitely need good amping, at least I assume. The bass is nowhere near as thumping as I was led to believe, though it does sound pretty good and I haven't been able to make it rolloff yet. The upper highs are even brighter than the Grados, and that's not a good thing. It was the fact that the Grados had bright highs, along with upper mids that made the signature come across so well. In music without upper highs, the Denons sound great, and I just hear a sort of sparkle. But put an enthusiastic cymbal player in a good recording, and I'm suddenly afraid of damaging my hearing. What everyone said about recessed mids is not true, but it might as well be because of the focus on the upper highs. These need a warm amp, so I'll try that next. I imagine they would go incredibly well with tube amps, despite what I've read. I suppose they're actually more balanced than the Grados, but the upper highs are unforgiveable. However, the King sounds pretty good :)

I too was worried about my hearing listening to these because of the highs. 

I also agree the bass wasn't as bold as everyone makes them out to be - this being said they really do extend down low and you can now hear sub-bass content that I wasn't accustom to hearing in my other phones.

As for amping - i will attest the D2000s do improve with a headphone amp.  I used my SOHA II - tube/solid state hybrid, and it did improved the listening experience but it in no way cured the harsh highs or funky mids.  My experience with the amp for both my Grados and the D2000s is that it can improve clarity, impact, and detail but for me it doesn't color the tonal signature of the headphones, that is with the exception of tube rolling.  Tube rolling can provide additional sonic variation but from my experience I would have a hard time believing it could compensate for the issues i had with the D2000s.

I'm sending my D2000s back tomorrow but was really hoping to upgrade from the SR60s - now the question is.... what should I get?  I'm now considering moving up the Grado line or possibly some HD 650s, or maybe trying to build my own Thunderpants!

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #221 of 232

Quote:

I'm sending my D2000s back tomorrow but was really hoping to upgrade from the SR60s - now the question is.... what should I get?  I'm now considering moving up the Grado line or possibly some HD 650s, or maybe trying to build my own Thunderpants!

I came from a D2000 to a HD650 and here is the difference I heard.

Bass: HD650's bass wasn't quite as deep as the D2000 but deeper than a SR80i.  It sounds quick like the SR80i but with more impact, texture and resolution.  The bass sounds just right to me.

Mids: HD650's mids were a huge improvement over the D2000's to me.  Instruments and voices stand out more than on the D2000 and they are very smooth/liquid and detailed sounding.

Highs:  The D2000 highs weren't that bad to me, in a few songs it would become annoying with the sss sounds though.  HD650 highs are great, they are also very detailed but don't cause any listening fatigue.  With the D2000 or Grado I could only listen to one or two albums before I needed a break, I listened to four albums in a row with the HD650 and could handle more... only my butt was going to sleep at that point. 
tongue.gif

Comfort:  The D2000 is very comfortable, fits a bit loose on the head with no clamping force.  The HD650 is really tight brand new out of the box, I didn't bend them though.  After a couple of days they start to loosen their grip and have become even more comfortable than the D2000 to me. The D2000 also weigh more than the HD650.

Excitement wise I would rate them as follows on my setup:

Grado SR80i: 10

D2000:  8
HD650: 7

K701: 5

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #222 of 232
Thanks for the info Brokenthumb - I appreciate the grado comparison - nice comments.  

I know what you mean about exciting - the Grados are really exciting headphones to listen too i still remember the first time i listened to my Grados having never listened to quality phones before.  I was stunned!  Now I am clearly climbing the ladder of diminishing returns but hey, its fun!

I recently had an opportunity to listen to a pair of HD-650s on a Woo Audio 22 - i was very impressed - like you said, not knock-your-socks-off exciting but very refined.

If I decide to go the way of the HD-650 I have an amp picked out that should make for a wonderful pairing:  http://www.audiodesignguide.com/NewHeadphoneAmp/index.html

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #223 of 232
For anyone interested in purchasing these.....You'll have a very hard time finding them. I ordered mine on the 23 of october and JR still has 0 in stock. The last they heard from denon was on october 3rd, and there was still no shipment estimate. I called denon and they said they are supposed to get a bunch by barge to the US every 2 weeks, and JR said they are expecting a restock within 5-7 business days. Amazon only has 15 left last I checked.

I called denon and the lady said she'll see if she can find out some inventory information for me and call me back. I luckily already bought mine so I have a priority on my order along with 17-18 others from JR. I dont think i'll see the headphones for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #224 of 232
Update: just bought the HD650s to replace the D2000s I sent back.  HUGE improvement!!!  The detail is fantastic, sound stage is incredible, highs are crisp and detailed but not harsh, and the midrange is hugely improved over the D2000s, and the lows are very pleasant - slightly less punchy than the Grado SR60s but still articulate - Doesn't extend as deeply as the D2000s though but to my ears the HD650s are much more natural.

After my experience with the D2000s - I really don't get all of the hype - their flaws are just to great for me.  

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #225 of 232
My once beloved Denon 2000 served their purpose well: a step up the audiophile ladder. My own general take is that dip in worth with deep listening, but for more casual, less obsessed folk who probably come here, these are great cans. I never had the sibilant issue with mine much, but the bass was too thumping for my more analytical tastes. I certainly feel my senn 600 are a better listening experience, but then again, it's not like I didn't have fun when I had my 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back