Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 416
Nice review! I think I've already decided on it. Problem is waiting for the funds now...
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 416
He does not charge the credit card till it ships. Steve the real deal not hold your money and then build. He builds then ships and charges then. you need to give him the credit card but he wont charge till it ships. Class operation all the way

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 416
Just wanted to mention that if you pay with PayPal, they charge you right when you place the order. Some people may well prefer that method, but credit/debit orders aren't charged until the ship, like Frank said.

-Daniel

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 416

Quote:
Just wanted to mention that if you pay with PayPal, they charge you right when you place the order. Some people may well prefer that method, but credit/debit orders aren't charged until the ship, like Frank said.

-Daniel

Ahh..ok. I was thinking about going through paypal, but I'll probably go with cc to save wait time. Thanks for the heads up.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #27 of 416

Quote:
Yeah, will be using them to drive my WAF-1's and others in the future. I'll be using it with m902 dac/pre, I'm hoping that'll be sufficient.  

they run fine on my 93DB 8 ohm Omegas. Fill the room pretty nice. The higher the efficiency the better. You have a Mapletree amp listed that may also be nice as a preamp for tubes but it should work with the SS 802 ask Steve he will tell you

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #28 of 416
I'm very pleased that it uses the same family of 12AX7 tubes like the Mapletree. That makes it a very convenient upgrade. I've never heard any EL84's before, but I hear great things about them. And the 5U4's are pretty similar to the ones used in the Woo. I can only imagine what the Taboo will sound like, a cross between Mapletree and Woo maybe? I can only picture a dark room...filled with pure ecstasy. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #29 of 416

Quote:
I'm very pleased that it uses the same family of 12AX7 tubes like the Mapletree. That makes it a very convenient upgrade. I've never heard any EL84's before, but I hear great things about them. And the 5U4's are pretty similar to the ones used in the Woo. I can only imagine what the Taboo will sound like, a cross between Mapletree and Woo maybe? I can only picture a dark room...filled with pure ecstasy. 
biggrin.gif

The 6P15P tube Steve ships it with are very nice tubes. I currently am using Sylvania EL84 NOS 1974 blackplates and a Mullard 12AT7 with a 5U$G Sylvania and the sound is delicious. Lush with great bass and Midrange magical with a very nice high end. This is my favorite combo so far. Matched Sylvanis and the Mullard made a huge difference and not sure any more tube rolling is necessary for a bit but I have many 12AU7,5751,12AX7,12BH7 and more rectifiers but so happy right now with the sound that I will stick with this for a bit. Unless I decide to buy some Mullard EL84 matched set but they are 100.00 tube

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 416

Quite a coincidence that I found this review just after sending an email to Steve Deckert asking about the performance of the Taboo with the Audez'e LCD-2. Although I have a Lyr on pre-order, and will probably keep it there, I am inclined to also order a Taboo.

My question for the OP, and anyone else with one:

1. Anyone running their Taboo straight out of their DAC, and if so, which one, and do you know your output voltage?

2. Anyone using the Taboo without preamp? Did you get the Taboo with the stepped volume attenuator?

3. Anyone heard the Taboo with/without the V-caps? Sonic differences in this circuit topology?

TIA! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back