[Review] Bowers & Wilkins P7, a highly musical closed portable option
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 51

Yeah, real shame. They created a strange stinging sensation right at the top of my head - maybe a combination of the weight and not-to-soft headband.

At the time I resented them for it, because of the price and the fact they were my first big spend headphone, so I opted for the Momentums as my everyday headphones - a great set which I don't regret buying at all.

After I wrote the reply before this I actually went onto ebay and bidded for a pair that were new.. and lost :frowning2:

Since the Momentums I've purchased the hd650's and ps500e's. Both great headphones and are  far superior to the p7's.. but as you know sometimes certain sound signatures you can't live without. The p7's did that to me.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #18 of 51
I've had the P7s for about a month too, they're wonderful. Good enough isolation to make me forget I'm at the office when I need to concentrate. They're simply a really enjoyable headphone to listen to, doesn't hurt that the build quality feels fantastic.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 51
I've had them for about a week, and I'm very satisfied with them and I find that they're on par with the HD650's apart from the midrange where the P7's are slightly lagging behind. Initially they were a bit uncomfortable due to my glasses but that has loosened up. I use them on the go together with a HRT microStreamer, and it's a wonderful combination. I'm not that impressed with the cable though, and I can't find that many aftermarket cables. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 51
There was a single (reputable) company I found that had custom cables for the p7, there are also replacement cables on ebay but they look rather slender and not particularly great. (here's a link if you're interested though: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-B-W-Bowers-Wilkins-P7-Headphones-/311050964248?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item486c150d18 )

I'll take a look for the company that did the custom cables. Will probably be reasonably expensive though...

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 51
  I've had them for about a week, and I'm very satisfied with them and I find that they're on par with the HD650's apart from the midrange where the P7's are slightly lagging behind. Initially they were a bit uncomfortable due to my glasses but that has loosened up. I use them on the go together with a HRT microStreamer, and it's a wonderful combination. I'm not that impressed with the cable though, and I can't find that many aftermarket cables. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

I find the HD650 and P7 to be different headphones. Both pleasurable for different reasons. I think the P7 are the overall more effortless headphones though.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 51

Yeah, real shame. They created a strange stinging sensation right at the top of my head - maybe a combination of the weight and not-to-soft headband.

At the time I resented them for it, because of the price and the fact they were my first big spend headphone, so I opted for the Momentums as my everyday headphones - a great set which I don't regret buying at all.

After I wrote the reply before this I actually went onto ebay and bidded for a pair that were new.. and lost :frowning2:

Since the Momentums I've purchased the hd650's and ps500e's. Both great headphones and are  far superior to the p7's.. but as you know sometimes certain sound signatures you can't live without. The p7's did that to me.

I find P7s way superior to Momentums in all aspects and much better than 650 in the treble and bass region. I am not a big fan of forward mids and hence may be my bias against Senns.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 51
  I find P7s way superior to Momentums in all aspects and much better than 650 in the treble and bass region. I am not a big fan of forward mids and hence may be my bias against Senns.

I found the momentums to be a little too dull sounding to my tastes compared to the p7's which is why I ended up sending mine back. They just didn't engage me with the music anywhere near as much as the p7's do. I think it was because the treble of the momentums seemed a little rolled off. Did find them very comfortable and they did look great too though.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 51
  I found the momentums to be a little too dull sounding to my tastes compared to the p7's which is why I ended up sending mine back. They just didn't engage me with the music anywhere near as much as the p7's do. I think it was because the treble of the momentums seemed a little rolled off. Did find them very comfortable and they did look great too though.

Initially I felt comfortable but after some usage it wasn't. I have above average ear size and momentum felt more like on-ear than an over-ear.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 51
I'm curious if everyone who has contributed to this thread has been listening to the P7 amped?

I own a set of Momentums, and a friend is lending me his P7s on a long term basis in exchange for my Shure SRH-940s. So far I haven't had the chance to listen to them amped, just straight from my iPhone 5. While I do really enjoy the mids and treble, I find the bass to be muddy and sluggish compared to the Momentums also unamped. I look forward to trying them out with an amp and hearing the improvement, but for now I'll be the lone voice of dissent on the Momentum vs P7 comparison. For me the muddy bass is a significant blemish on the otherwise very enjoyable sound signature.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #27 of 51
I'm curious if everyone who has contributed to this thread has been listening to the P7 amped?

I own a set of Momentums, and a friend is lending me his P7s on a long term basis in exchange for my Shure SRH-940s. So far I haven't had the chance to listen to them amped, just straight from my iPhone 5. While I do really enjoy the mids and treble, I find the bass to be muddy and sluggish compared to the Momentums also unamped. I look forward to trying them out with an amp and hearing the improvement, but for now I'll be the lone voice of dissent on the Momentum vs P7 comparison. For me the muddy bass is a significant blemish on the otherwise very enjoyable sound signature.

How long have you been using them for? I found the bass to be a bit bloated and sluggish but it tightened up (or I got used to it, who knows) after a fair few hours of use. I've been running it through my nexus 5 phone and also a cheap soundcard on my computer. Got a cayin c5 and an apex glacier currently in the mail on the way here so I'll let you know if it noticeably changes the sound.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #28 of 51

P7s require a good bit of burn in before the bass settles down. I noticed a good improvement after 50 hrs and at 200 hrs it settled down nicely and find no longer the bass bump.
It scales up beautifully with the quality of amp. Right from 200$-2000$ amp, you'll notice big improvement.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #30 of 51
Do they have the same price to quality (Audio fidelity) as they p5's? (Aka am I getting what I am paying for)

I assume you mean the P5's second addition? The first release I owned were good, but not as good as the P7's. The second version I only demoed for a few minutes was better than the first. So much so that I am tempted to purchase them. However, I think I still like the full sized P7's more than the current P5 (second edition) for sound and comfort. But admittedly I only had the new P5s on my head for a few minutes with an iPod as the source. I think the P7's scale up very nicely from IOS devices to full blown desktop amplifier and amp. I don't know about the new P5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back