[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,656 of 7,021
Quote:
Well, that and the Parterres... And anyway, isn't Muzak from Austria? Maybe I'm confusing him with dfkt, another bird dude. 

Well, if Soundfreaq agrees to take the 1P2 off of my hands then I've got a DX100 comin' in so, you're welcome to listen to that :wink:

Yeah, it's dfkt you're thinking of.

I don't listen to non-Apple daps...

sike

You know my mailing address lol

Quote:
Eke, yeahhh mate ... We all need chill out
smily_headphones1.gif

But ASG2 is damn interesting IEM which has big appeal at least for me. Really no joke I was not expecting this, surprise for me.

No worries, that's how I felt too the first couple of days. Same with some jazz musicians I let use it for a couple of sets. They wouldn't let me leave without giving them the Aurisonics email address.

Quote:

Perhaps precisely because I live in an ivory tower on a treetop I usually don't get to try all this lovely gear many of you get to try — guess if I wasn't so sweet and charming and was, instead, a little more grumpy, a couple of manufacturers would be desperate to send me review samples. Case in point: there are now pleeenty of people who have auditioned the 1p2s (been sent to them), but our very sweet loving sparrow hasn't yet tried them — perhaps his utter love for the Kings of Incoherence, (aka the K3003s), which makes him utterly biased, has prevented him from being part of that particular privileged lot...... or perhaps our cheerful sparrow's ears are more digital than analogue!

31659_300.jpg

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,657 of 7,021
Eke, do not worry, we will see when I swap cables. But I believe ASG deserves big laudatio straight away.

Music, it happens I had the privilege to audition breifly k3003 and I own now 1+2, James wrote his impressions among which he told 1+2 and k3003 share many similarities, and... I agree both hands with him. It helps when you can audition side by side before jumping to conclusions but I did not hear that what you talking about regarding k3003, in fact k3003 sings very well and in many apsects reminds me of more polite sounding version of 1+2, I pefer 1+2 but I can see why James likes k3003. As regards coherence do you mean graphs? :wink:

As for ASG2 I see it as love or hate relationship, I love what I hear but I can see what I love others might not, I also think source makes the difference, believe it or not my RDB+v1 sounds better on cheapo C3 and BH amp combo but on Rwak v1 nosedives like a tractor in comparison to 1+2 or ASG.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,658 of 7,021
Quote:
Music, it happens I had the privilege to audition breifly k3003 and I own now 1+2, James wrote his impressions among which he told 1+2 and k3003 share many similarities, and... I agree both hands with him. It helps when you can audition side by side before jumping to conclusions but I did not hear that what you talking about regarding k3003, in fact k3003 sings very well and in many apsects reminds me of more polite sounding version of 1+2, I pefer 1+2 but I can see why James likes k3003. As regards coherence do you mean graphs? :wink:

Gintaras,

If I could freely—openly—speak about exactly what's happened since the K3003s were released (and even months before they were), then I can guarantee you this thread would get locked and/or several posts would be removed.

The K3003 is, to this day, the best IEM I've ever heard—an IEM that sounds so close to the Sennheiser HD800 (full-size headphone), the best phone I've ever heard, that I don't need james444, graphs or anybody/anything else to confirm for me what my ears have been telling me for one year and seven months. I don't doubt the 1p2 is a great IEM, and I don't know if I'd enjoy it more than the AKGs. I do know, however, there are certain aspects of the K3003 design that I prefer over the 1p2s.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,659 of 7,021
Quote:
The K3003 is, to this day, the best IEM I've ever heard—an IEM that sounds so close to the Sennheiser HD800 (full-size headphone), the best phone I've ever heard, that I don't need james444, graphs or anybody/anything else to confirm for me what my ears have been telling me for one year and seven months. I don't doubt the 1p2 is a great IEM, and I don't know if I'd enjoy it more than the AKGs. I do know, however, there are certain aspects of the K3003 design that I prefer over the 1p2s.

I've always been rather curious about the K3003 mostly due to your shillin Muzak. I agree with the bolded as well, the K3003s are stunning (aesthetically) imo, and they appear to be far more practical for daily usage, whereas the 1P2 is really awkward (tubby housings) and rather fragile. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,660 of 7,021
Music, Idsynchrono, I am happy to disagree, so we can leave it here and if you wish we can PM. This is not 1+2 or k3003 thread and I do not feel enthusiasm talking up things. Actually my phylosophy is a bit egoistic, when I like it I do not care much if you or someone else does not like it, I also respect your right to this too.

As regards ASG2 this is really something interesting and special, in some way untraditional but so sweet and good.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,661 of 7,021
Nothing much to disagree (or argue) about, really—in this particular instance, that is. Both Idsynchrono and I spoke mostly about our preferences and perceptions—we did not say that what we thought should be taken as a fact—although I could easily argue one or two points about the design of both IEMs—and that everyone else should / will agree.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,662 of 7,021
Music, fine ... i am now off, tomorrow will continue audition of ASG2.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,664 of 7,021
Really appreciate the reviews fellows.    James you summed up my AS2:

"Bottom line: these are definitely stage monitors imo, and they make no secret of it. At that, I'd think they're pretty competent, since their midrange has excellent presence and quality. Bass is tight and nicely textured and offers more than sufficient punch in reserve to counter the masking effect in noisy surroundings, while highs are decidedly pulled back to minimize the risk of long-term listening fatigue."

When I first got mine, like Tyrll, there was no high end, like their was wax in my ears or a very poor fit.   Dale fixed that, and now they have that "air" and treble and cymbal crash, but its not the cymbal crash of the 1P2, its very polite.   I think the AS2 bass kills the 1P2 bass in all aspects and I don't feel at ports closed that the bass on the AS2 is too much.   For me the one thing that's not polite about the AS2 is its bass, and listening to Graceland right now confirms that.   It seems strong, accurate, deep to sub when its there.   For me, bass drives music.

There has been mention several times about a metallic edge to violin.   I listen and dance to live Celtic music, and the way my AS2's are tuned and fit my ears, there is no metallicness or edge to the fiddle I hear, nor piano, electric or acoustic.   Before mine were retuned, I felt the timbre was off as the extension for the highs just wasn't there.   

Dannybai, I loved your reviews and the way you write.   I really felt that I understood the IEM's that you were describing and your use of descriptions reminded me of the reviewer of the Great Northwest, Flysweep.   You have one follower, hope you keep reviewing!

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,665 of 7,021
after more audition and overcoming emotions i can tell the stock cable needs replacement. i tried Tralucent gold silver cable and it put ASG2 one step above clearly. i do not get it why Aurisonics threw in a so-so cable with a good product? the stock cable holds ASG2 back especially in what concerns stage and instrument separation, it also imposes a bit of smearing. whatever you try there is no way i would want the stock cable, better throw it away. :frowning2:

another observation is plastic durability, a pair i have from a fellow headfier has clear signs of shells paint wearing out, not so nice i would say. for this money plastic could be better quality or coating could be more stable. i also believe if i get a pair for myself i most likely will prefer frosty white version.

listening goes on and real audition still ahead of me.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2,666 of 7,021
Quote:
after more audition and overcoming emotions i can tell the stock cable needs replacement. i tried Tralucent gold silver cable and it put ASG2 one step above clearly. i do not get it why Aurisonics threw in a so-so cable with a good product? the stock cable holds ASG2 back especially in what concerns stage and instrument separation, it also imposes a bit of smearing. whatever you try there is no way i would want the stock cable, better throw it away. :frowning2:

From speaking to Dale at the HK show, it seems that he agrees about the cable. He mentioned that Aurisonics will be looking into producing their own cables soon.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,667 of 7,021
I agree about the cable.....I replaced my stock cable with a TWag Silver / Gold cable and this is a massive improvement for dynamics and soundstage over the stock.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2,668 of 7,021
yes, Aurisonics should not skimp on cable, the stock cable they have now is waste, i would throw it away and buy one from Gavin who makes some best cables i ever heard.

actually Dale perhaps can ask Gavin to team up to produce cables for Aurisonics, and no matter what cables i had & tried there were no better cables than those from Tralucent.

the copy i received from Idsynchrono via James also has gold silver Tralucent enclosed (funny my gold silver cable is shorter :)))
and Idsynchrono immediately suggested to me replace cables which i gladly did.

now for a million dollar question from those wondering how ASG2 compares to 1+2, despite few hours audition i can tell do not expect miracles, 1+2 is better IEM but different one. i am afraid this is one rare case where i would have problem putting direct comparisons because ASG2 and 1+2 are two different IEMs appealing to different taste and listeners. ASG2 will be more music genre specific while 1+2 is more universal. i love what i hear from ASG2 playing rock, blues, pop... but not classics. those who love classical symphonic music better look elsewhere. those who love pop, blues, rock can safely try ASG2. 1+2 is not just another IEM, 1+2 is a full range loudspeaker you can insert into your ear. this makes a huge difference between 1+2 and the rest.

as concerns H200 or RDB+v1 Eke was correct, ASG2 wins hands down, no comparison, ASG2 is higher league product and sounds just better to my ears. H200 still remains the best budget hybrid 3way IEM while V1 becomes redundant due to its price. sorry... i love V1 which is nice IEM but ASG2 is just so much better no question and costing about similar amount of money there is no question which one i would buy (unfortunately ASG2 came after v1 so i had no chance before).

audition continues...

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,669 of 7,021
Quote:

another observation is plastic durability, a pair i have from a fellow headfier has clear signs of shells paint wearing out, not so nice i would say. for this money plastic could be better quality or coating could be more stable. i also believe if i get a pair for myself i most likely will prefer frosty white version.

Still don't quite get why a lot (a lot!) of full size headphone users will argue to no end their belief that cable makes absolutely no difference in sound quality, but iem users seem to assume that they do with no argument..

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,670 of 7,021
yes, Aurisonics should not skimp on cable, the stock cable they have now is waste, i would throw it away and buy one from Gavin who makes some best cables i ever heard.

actually Dale perhaps can ask Gavin to team up to produce cables for Aurisonics, and no matter what cables i had & tried there were no better cables than those from Tralucent.

the copy i received from Idsynchrono via James also has gold silver Tralucent enclosed (funny my gold silver cable is shorter :)))
and Idsynchrono immediately suggested to me replace cables which i gladly did.

now for a million dollar question from those wondering how ASG2 compares to 1+2, despite few hours audition i can tell do not expect miracles, 1+2 is better IEM but different one. i am afraid this is one rare case where i would have problem putting direct comparisons because ASG2 and 1+2 are two different IEMs appealing to different taste and listeners. ASG2 will be more music genre specific while 1+2 is more universal. i love what i hear from ASG2 playing rock, blues, pop... but not classics. those who love classical symphonic music better look elsewhere. those who love pop, blues, rock can safely try ASG2. 1+2 is not just another IEM, 1+2 is a full range loudspeaker you can insert into your ear. this makes a huge difference between 1+2 and the rest.

as concerns H200 or RDB+v1 Eke was correct, ASG2 wins hands down, no comparison, ASG2 is higher league product and sounds just better to my ears. H200 still remains the best budget hybrid 3way IEM while V1 becomes redundant due to its price. sorry... i love V1 which is nice IEM but ASG2 is just so much better no question and costing about similar amount of money there is no question which one i would buy (unfortunately ASG2 came after v1 so i had no chance before).

audition continues...

Agree on all fronts! Can copy and paste these to respond to pm and emails about my comparison of the asg2 and 1plus2....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back