[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #91 of 7,021
Quote:

Lmao

Unfortunately, the angry bird is right. I owned the EPh-100 for about a month last year.

The eph-100 is a lot different from the others, and flawed in the treble timbre compared to these two.

Folks I was talking about overall sound signature since their frequency graphs look quite similar if not the same. Obviously they are going to have different qualities since one costs 6 times more.

May 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #93 of 7,021
Here's the next million dollar question. How does the Tralucent 1Plus2 compare to the ASG-2? The T1P2 was my other choice...I heard that the bass is phenomenal...

I can answer the 1plus2 versus AS-2. I'll do more of a comparison in my AS-2 review thread, but they have different signatures. I reserve the right to change my mind as I listen more, but here it is for the moment:

The bass on the 1plus2 is not adjustable, it is mostly in line with the mids and sounded behind the mids on a few tracks going back and forth with the AS-2, so I'd say the 1plus2 isn't really for bassheads. It is really excellent, but only if you want the somewhat even signature with a slight bloom of mid-bass . The AS-2 or ASG-2 will have more mid-bass, so a bassier sound and the bass vent can take it way up if open, or more polite if closed.

One issue that the $1,400 1plus2 has is that there are some mild flaws with the timbre. In the mids, there is a raspy sound to strings which becomes apparent as volume rises. The treble sizzle is slightly sibilant and the cymbals sound slightly strange.
The warmer, thicker, mid-bassier AS-2 does better with timbre in these areas. It can have some issues with timbre is the bass vent is turned up in the lower mids, but this can be corrected by adjusting the bass vent. If you like the aurisonics' signature, then you've saved $600 for the custom fit AS-2 or $950 for the universal ASG-2. That's really unbelievable.

The 1plus2 obviously is excellent, I wish it had better timbre as I notice the rasp and sizzle. Several others have heard it as well. However, as is common for audio, many-even the majority- don't mention or mind it.

May 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #94 of 7,021
Quote:

Folks I was talking about overall sound signature since their frequency graphs look quite similar if not the same. Obviously they are going to have different qualities since one costs 6 times more.

I know what you meant, I was just joking.

The signatures are different. I feel like the ASG-2 is warmer, and the IE800 is thinner/lacks bass compared to the EPH-100. 

May 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #95 of 7,021
Quote:

I know what you meant, I was just joking.

The signatures are different. I feel like the ASG-2 is warmer, and the IE800 is thinner/lacks bass compared to the EPH-100. 

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for to hear! Looking forward to your tg334 vs asg-2 comparison... 

May 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #96 of 7,021
An improvement: Switched the stock double flanges for the medium foam monster tips. Sibilance is definitely reduced, and treble sounds more linear without as much emphasis on cymbals crashes, while retaining enough presence for accuracy.  

A criticism: Tonality in the mids is still a bit warm. It's very slight and probably wouldn't bother most people, but to me etymotic mids are most akin to actual voices, perfectly flat and natural. With a ~2-3dB eq bump at 3kHz, the ASG-2's mids are much closer to accurate imo.

About mids: I have a relatively flat pair of speakers, and I've had the good fortune to spend time with quality full-size headphones, including the SR-009, SR-007, LCD2, LCD3, HD800, HD650, etc. While these phones definitely have their differences, they share a common emphasis on mids compared to most iems I've owned. In fact, it was experiencing these totl head phones that brought me to the realization that many iems bring an artificial boost to the treble and bass, while leaving the mids slightly behind. Listening to my speakers supported this realization as well, that sound hitting the ear in a diffuse field tends to emphasize the mids. 

So which iems have mids like the totl headphones? In my experience the ER4S is the closest, although bass response and extension could be improved slightly. When I compare the ASG-2 to my speakers, the mids of the ASG-2 sound pretty obviously less emphasized at ~3kHz.

Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel has a good voice for testing mids (for me especially as I've seen him live). The album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is very mid-centric, and to my ears his vocals are lacking just a bit higher up on the ASG-2. 

A test: Try eq-ing 3kHz up about 3dB and tell us what you think about the sound. I think it's quite an improvement that evens out vocals, resulting a more accurate realistic sound. I'll try to tweak it a bit more, but generally I think less is more when eq is involved. 

Again this criticism is about a minor aspect of the sound, although at this price and performance level the minor aspects of sound can make or break the entire auditory experience imo. 

May 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #97 of 7,021
Quote:
I can answer the 1plus2 versus AS-2. I'll do more of a comparison in my AS-2 review thread, but they have different signatures.

The bass on the 1plus2 is not adjustable, it is slightly behind the mids, so not for bassheads. It is really excellent, but only if you want the signature. The AS-2 or ASG-2 will have more mid-bass, so a bassier sound.

One issue that the $1,400 1plus2 has is that there are some mild flaws with the timbre. In the mids, there is a raspy sound to strings. The treble sizzle is slightly sibilant and the cymbals sound slightly strange.
The warmer, thicker, mid-bassier AS-2 does better with timbre in these areas. It can have some issues with timbre is the bass vent is turned up in the lower mids, but this can be corrected by adjusting the bass vent. If you like the aurisonics' signature, then you've saved $600 for the custom fit AS-2 or $950 for the universal ASG-2. That's really unbelievable.

The 1plus2 obviously is excellent, I wish it had better timbre as I notice the rasp. Several others have heard it as well. However, as is common for audio, many-even the majority- don't mention or mind it.

If I could give you a hug I would. You just saved me $1,300
smile.gif
. I really am digging my ASG2. It is an amazing IEM. I am a closet basshead. I love quality sound first, then bass. The ASG seems to hit my auditory G-Spot. I was walking down the street yesterday with the ASGs on. People must have thought I was a special deaf person with the way I was walking and smiling.

May 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #98 of 7,021
First off eke, about the 334 comment, Oooooooo. *puts in best Willy Wonka face* please, tell me more.

An improvement: ...treble sounds more linear without as much emphasis on cymbals crashes, while retaining enough presence for accuracy.  

This has been driving me absolutely nuts recently. Many IEM's and headphones emphasize that range and it throws off realistic imaging so badly..

May 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #99 of 7,021
Quote:
An improvement: Switched the stock double flanges for the medium foam monster tips. Sibilance is definitely reduced, and treble sounds more linear without as much emphasis on cymbals crashes, while retaining enough presence for accuracy.  

A criticism: Tonality in the mids is still a bit warm. It's very slight and probably wouldn't bother most people, but to me etymotic mids are most akin to actual voices, perfectly flat and natural. With a ~2-3dB eq bump at 3kHz, the ASG-2's mids are much closer to accurate imo.

About mids: I have a relatively flat pair of speakers, and I've had the good fortune to spend time with quality full-size headphones, including the SR-009, SR-007, LCD2, LCD3, HD800, HD650, etc. While these phones definitely have their differences, they share a common emphasis on mids compared to most iems I've owned. In fact, it was experiencing these totl head phones that brought me to the realization that many iems bring an artificial boost to the treble and bass, while leaving the mids slightly behind. Listening to my speakers supported this realization as well, that sound hitting the ear in a diffuse field tends to emphasize the mids. 

So which iems have mids like the totl headphones? In my experience the ER4S is the closest, although bass response and extension could be improved slightly. When I compare the ASG-2 to my speakers, the mids of the ASG-2 sound pretty obviously less emphasized at ~3kHz.

Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel has a good voice for testing mids (for me especially as I've seen him live). The album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is very mid-centric, and to my ears his vocals are lacking just a bit higher up on the ASG-2. 

A test: Try eq-ing 3kHz up about 3dB and tell us what you think about the sound. I think it's quite an improvement that evens out vocals, resulting a more accurate realistic sound. I'll try to tweak it a bit more, but generally I think less is more when eq is involved. 

Again this criticism is about a minor aspect of the sound, although at this price and performance level the minor aspects of sound can make or break the entire auditory experience imo. 

That's interesting because to me the mids of the ER4S are too analytical for me. As accurate as it is, it doesn't sound real to me. The ASG Mids (at least 1 and I'm assuming the 2 isn't drastically different) I feel, though there is emphasis in the midrange, is far more organic and natural for voices. With live recordings it can feel like I'm sitting in the crowd. I never had that with any Etymotic IEM period. 

May 23, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #102 of 7,021
Oh these IEM sound soooo tempting :frowning2:
I can't find the pricetag anywhere, I'm pretty sure that customs and other taxes would make these things just waaay to expensive for us poor european folks :frowning2:

Life is not fair.

May 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #103 of 7,021
Quote:
Oh these IEM sound soooo tempting :frowning2:
I can't find the pricetag anywhere, I'm pretty sure that customs and other taxes would make these things just waaay to expensive for us poor european folks :frowning2:

Life is not fair.

AS-2 is 799 UD, ASG-2 is 528 USD and the stealth one is more ( i cannot remember how much).

May 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #104 of 7,021
Hmmmm less than I thought :)
But still, that would make like 560€ incl taxes etc.
Oh I hate this hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back