[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jun 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #841 of 7,021
Quote:
I do not have any other resistor with me, I am hoping to order some soon. The cause of the hissing is just the balance armature. I think for the consumer market the bass port is not going to have any purpose. 

After inspecting the bass port I noticed that you must have the bass port passed half way between the the fully close and opening marking one. The bass port has a cut in strip that gets wider as the bass port is opened more. The cut starts right when the bass port is pass the halfway of the first section.

I know I read somewhere that cable swapping has an effect I just cannot find where it was, I am thinking of trying to order Fiio westone cable, would westone cables work for ASG-2? As much as I like the stock cable however the memory wire used is just too stiff.

All and all I absolutely love this for certain type of music (modern pop) and dislike it for other one (old 1950 live recording).

It is suitable for large portion of my music hence why I am keeping it as it does pop, modern jazz and chamber music just right. It sometimes have amazing hollow effect which at times can sound artifical but the sense of echo is present nicely in my chamber music. I am on border on how it sounds with piano notes but it is certainly good enough for regular listening.

I did not like how it sounded out of AK120 however once I paired it with O2 the sound improved by a large margin. The dynamic driver really loves the gain switch of the O2. It certainly gives more of a punch when it is used on the high gain. 

Yes, Westone cables work with it. I believe Westone also uses recessed jack.

I really can't wait for next week, which is when I'll be sending off my ASG-1s for upgrade. 

Really piano sounds fine on ASG-1, I listen to it a lot. The dynamic driver's range works nicely for it. I don't see why the two tweeters would change it, as I assume they are for upper mids and highs. That can only bring the high notes more forward bringing more balance to these phones. Right now the highs being rolled off are the biggest issue with the ASG-1s.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #842 of 7,021
Quote:

Yes, Westone cables work with it. I believe Westone also uses recessed jack.

I really can't wait for next week, which is when I'll be sending off my ASG-1s for upgrade. 

Really piano sounds fine on ASG-1, I listen to it a lot. The dynamic driver's range works nicely for it. I don't see why the two tweeters would change it, as I assume they are for upper mids and highs. That can only bring the high notes more forward bringing more balance to these phones. Right now the highs being rolled off are the biggest issue with the ASG-1s.

As someone who is accustom to ASG-1s sound I am sure ASG-2 will be all that and 3 times more. This was my very first ASG house sound experience and coming from largely analytic sounding gears it took me a while to get used to it.

Hopefully I get to experiment with different cables soon.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #843 of 7,021
It seems like the dynamic driver definitely requires burning in. I am liking it more. I left the unit running for 20 hours and listen to it roughly for 20 minutes this morning and left it running and came back right now and listening to the same track. The spikes I was talking about is gone. Liking it more and more. 

I will report back again after 70 hours and make my final mind after 200 hours. That is a relief. 

Source: AK120, amp O2 high gain, oyadie 3.5 to 3.5 cable. Bass port closed.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #845 of 7,021
Quote:
It seems like the dynamic driver definitely requires burning in. I am liking it more. I left the unit running for 20 hours and listen to it roughly for 20 minutes this morning and left it running and came back right now and listening to the same track. The spikes I was talking about is gone. Liking it more and more. 

I will report back again after 70 hours and make my final mind after 200 hours. That is a relief. 

Source: AK120, amp O2 high gain, oyadie 3.5 to 3.5 cable. Bass port closed.

Where are the spikes you are hearing? Mid-bass? Just curious. I also need to continue to burn this in.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #847 of 7,021
Quote:
if the new dynamic driver is like the ASG-1, i imagine you'd see a noticeable difference with burn in indeed.

You know it's funny. The ASG-1 was the only Dynamic driver I've had where I don't remember any significant or even noticeable changes over time.

The treble on the dynamic is laid back enough that I don't know how it would be the cause of the spikes, but then again, being full range and having the BAs go on top of it, I don't know the physics behind if there would be an amplification...

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #849 of 7,021
nice, hey guys i ahve an ASG_2 on order and am waiting for shipping but i saw this new iem around the  same price InEar StageDiver SD-3 and which is better to get? if the sd3 is better then i can go get a refund for the ASG-2 and order the SD_3 ! thanks !

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #850 of 7,021
Quote:
nice, hey guys i ahve an ASG_2 on order and am waiting for shipping but i saw this new iem around the  same price InEar StageDiver SD-3 and which is better to get? if the sd3 is better then i can go get a refund for the ASG-2 and order the SD_3 ! thanks !

Get both, sell the one you don't like in the for sale forums.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #851 of 7,021
Quote:
Get both, sell the one you don't like in the for sale forums.

man i wish i could but i only got like $600 USD on me now , gotta make a decision before its too late hahaha. on an national service budget as of now ! LOL ! only able to reel in $400 a month =( 

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #852 of 7,021
man i wish i could but i only got like $600 USD on me now , gotta make a decision before its too late hahaha. on an national service budget as of now ! LOL ! only able to reel in $400 a month =( 

Are you in the US mate?

P.S. I've been PM'ing people about just that. *a bit scared now...

Heads up nuke

http://www.head-fi.org/u/118700/carlsan

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #853 of 7,021
Quote:
Are you in the US mate?

P.S. I've been PM'ing people about just that. *a bit scared now...

Heads up nuke

http://www.head-fi.org/u/118700/carlsan

yeah i saw that post too ! i hope its it get ups before my 2 weeks are up thats when the ASG-2s will be in my hands , till then i can still get a refund but if i bail now i have to wait another 3 + 2 weeks lol , im in singapore BTW  the reseller here already has all his ASG-2 that are enroute to singapore reserved and im first in line , my friend has to wait 3 + 2 weeks for it to come , 2 weeks for the first batch and another 3 weeks for his batch the second batch hahahahaha

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #854 of 7,021
The hissing is still present which means it is highly likely due to the Balance armature. I played some Zakir Hussain and it sounds just the way it is recorded. 

Also compared to ER4S some microdetail is lost(using ipod touch) but once hooked to an amp at high gain setting and at louder volume they microdetail become present. In my experience amping seems to be a must in order to get the very best out of this. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #855 of 7,021
Quote:

I think what UnityIsPower and yourself need to do is to demo the pair if at all possible. 

If you can't do that, then unfortunately, it is all down to "risk taking", assuming your wallet can't take the hit. I'm guessing you are currently on recruit pay as I served my national service close to ten years ago now and our pay was slightly less than that. 

Anyhow, both of you need to realise that there is only so much you can read that will be useful and once you hit a "saturation" point, everything you read that you feel is positive will swing you either way. You should read reviews in context and by that I mean reading reviews that actually match your preferences e.g. a reviewer may prefer a particular sound signature or music preferences. Both of those help reduce the "risk". 

And just because any one reputable reviewer may not like a particular IEM doesn't mean that IEM isn't good or anything like that. It really boils down to preferences etc. 

Beyond that, just enjoy the journey. Once you get a pair, don't fuss about which is better if you know you can't afford to spend and get various earphones. Be happy with what you have, and when you are ready to take the next step, then let the whole process run through again. There will always be something better out there, that's part and parcel of technology, but then again, sometimes it is all just snake oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back