[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Mar 15, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #5,551 of 7,021
I recently stumbled across these 2.5s while searching for a replacement for my UE900. I like what I've readso far but I'm a bit worried at how different they'll be to the 900s.

I have grown to enjoy my 900s the analytical nature of them was a bit odd at first but I love how alive and revealing they are. I was wondering if you thought the 2.5s might be a nice, if different replacement. I'm after something nice and intimate. I like feeling like I up close and personal with the performers. I Don't need, or want bass monsters so it's fairly safe to say the bass port would be staying closed, or very close to closed.

The type of music I listen to is often quite atmospheric or acoustic. I like post rock, orchestral, acoustic indie etc. the heaviest I go with music is generally post rock (think Sigur Ros's latest album) so nothing to heavy.

Any help determining if these might be a good fit would be much appreciated as living in regional Australia it's quite difficult getting anywhere where I could trial these.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #5,552 of 7,021
I recently stumbled across these 2.5s while searching for a replacement for my UE900. I like what I've readso far but I'm a bit worried at how different they'll be to the 900s.

I have grown to enjoy my 900s the analytical nature of them was a bit odd at first but I love how alive and revealing they are. I was wondering if you thought the 2.5s might be a nice, if different replacement. I'm after something nice and intimate. I like feeling like I up close and personal with the performers. I Don't need, or want bass monsters so it's fairly safe to say the bass port would be staying closed, or very close to closed.

The type of music I listen to is often quite atmospheric or acoustic. I like post rock, orchestral, acoustic indie etc. the heaviest I go with music is generally post rock (think Sigur Ros's latest album) so nothing to heavy.

Any help determining if these might be a good fit would be much appreciated as living in regional Australia it's quite difficult getting anywhere where I could trial these.

I know exactly how you feel! I live in outback queensland so demoing most can is out of the question, most of the time i just take the plunge and buy whatever looks interesting. I did that with the 2.5s a couple of months ago and i had mixed feelings on it. The thing that bothered me most was how sensitive the BA drivers seemed to be with my amps. Plugged into my more expensive denon and marantz receivers the upper mids/treble was almost non existant, they sounded muffled and horrible. Plugging them into my beyerdynamic a200p portable dac/amp they sounded better but still a little muffled up top. From my galaxy s5 and ipad they sounded good but nowhere near $800 good. My best results came from plugging them into my two cmoy amps, they really sounded quite amazing with this setup which was a bit surprising considering they're fairly cheap, homebuilt amps. The bass response is definitely emphasized a bit even with the bass port closed, its not overpowering but you won't get anything close to neutral from it. The bass quality is very good imo, great definition and extension. If you listen to a few lower end cans then switch to these you really get a sense of how sloppy all those other cans. The mids are also excellent, very smooth, forward and natural sounding, vocals sound very good, the mids and bass are definitely the star of the show with these. The upper mids into the treble is really the tricky area to explain, there does seem to be some recessed areas and roll off happening up there, if i recall correctly i believe Tyll from inner fidelity asked Aurisonics if this was intentional and they said yes. If i had to take a guess i'd say they tuned it to try and make music sound as much like a live performance as possible. With the right recordings they do indeed sound very natural and really bring things to life. With other recordings it can still sound a bit muffled and unnatural to my ears. The one thing that does constantly amaze me is it ability to create a sense of space in the music like you are really there immersed in the performance. At the end of the day it was a bit too hit and miss for my tastes so i ended up selling it.

It sounds like you might like the noble 4 which seems to be a very neutral and analytical iem. I'm actually in melbourne this week so i'm going to go shopping for my next iem to replace my 2.5s, i'll let ya know what i think :D

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,553 of 7,021
Hahaha

.......I'm going to buy 2.5 to replace my noble 4 on this week

So I'll let you know some weak point of noble 4 is...everything is good but nothing is superrrrrr good that can make me wow

But you may like it.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #5,554 of 7,021
Hahaha

.......I'm going to buy 2.5 to replace my noble 4 on this week

So I'll let you know some weak point of noble 4 is...everything is good but nothing is superrrrrr good that can make me wow

But you may like it.

Did you like the sound signature of the noble 4? If u do u should consider the asg 1plus over the 2.5 as its not quite as bassy heavy as the 2.5 while still being warm and not quite neutral

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #5,557 of 7,021

I checked our emails  for the last month ZzmadzZ and dont see any email from you. If you used the web form I just had our web guy check it and it seems to be working properly. If anyone does not get an answer using the webform please email us at in-ear@aurisonics.com or call us during business hours @ 615-246-0366 . To answer your question though no we do not reshell the ASG series to custom.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,558 of 7,021

I checked our emails  for the last month ZzmadzZ and dont see any email from you. If you used the web form I just had our web guy check it and it seems to be working properly. If anyone does not get an answer using the webform please email us at in-ear@aurisonics.com or call us during business hours @ 615-246-0366 . To answer your question though no we do not reshell the ASG series to custom.

Hi i just checked, i sent 2 emails out to you guys with the same email in-ear@aurisonics.com. Maybe it was filtered to the junk mail folder or something? I didnt get any email confirmation when i submitted twice via the online form so im not sure if thats working though.

However, the email part im pretty sure it was sent. I will send another email for testing purposes.

Thank you for the reply!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #5,559 of 7,021
ok so after getting an x5 and some comply tips these iems really sing. I have an issue tho and was wondering if anyone had an idea. So um the bore for the tip on the left earpiece comes off because its not secure. It does not affect sound quality or anything its just really annoying when trying to change tips. So is there anything I could do?

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #5,560 of 7,021
I am recently looking for a decent dap for asg 2.5. I dont have too many budget so my choice is either the fiio x5 or ibasso dx90. I used to have mod dx50 and been satisfied with its great cp, the major concern now is that whether the phone out of the mentioned dap have sufficient power to perfectly run the earphone, since I am still struggling between ie800 and asg 2.5 and I've heard that ie800 is difficult to drive.

Speaking of ie800, actually I am more into it because of its natural, warm sound. But the comfortability is incomparable to asg 2.5 and so driving me crazy on chosing between them, could somebody be so nice to suggest some strength and weaknesses among them? It would help a lot.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #5,561 of 7,021
I am recently looking for a decent dap for asg 2.5. I dont have too many budget so my choice is either the fiio x5 or ibasso dx90. I used to have mod dx50 and been satisfied with its great cp, the major concern now is that whether the phone out of the mentioned dap have sufficient power to perfectly run the earphone, since I am still struggling between ie800 and asg 2.5 and I've heard that ie800 is difficult to drive.

Speaking of ie800, actually I am more into it because of its natural, warm sound. But the comfortability is incomparable to asg 2.5 and so driving me crazy on chosing between them, could somebody be so nice to suggest some strength and weaknesses among them? It would help a lot.

I have the asg 2.5 and my dx90 is driving it very easily. I have also tested ie800 with my dx90 and no issues with it too.

Both are driven very efficiently and I love the sound that is coming out from my 2.5!

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #5,562 of 7,021
ok so after getting an x5 and some comply tips these iems really sing. I have an issue tho and was wondering if anyone had an idea. So um the bore for the tip on the left earpiece comes off because its not secure. It does not affect sound quality or anything its just really annoying when trying to change tips. So is there anything I could do?

I experienced the same problem before. I contacted Aurisonics and they let me superglue it back, promising to keep my warranty valid.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5,563 of 7,021
Had a strange learning experience today. Usually I have my ASG-2's in for a good portion of the day at work. This afternoon, I started getting a splitting headache while listening to a podcast. That, and my usually feel-like-I-was-born-wearing-them headphones were giving me a serious case of listening fatigue. I had to take them out after less than half an hour of listening. Ugh.

After I got home, I looked at the kitchen table and realized the culprit--I changed to a new cable yesterday. Listening to the wiring test on the audiocheck website confirmed it: I screwed up the polarity on my phones. Corrected the mistake by switching the pins on one side and...BAM!! MY MUSIC WAS BACK! I hadn't realized a wiring switch could have such a huge effect on the sound. I was listening to mono podcasts all day so I didn't notice how off the imaging was, but with music the difference is night and day. Plus, no more headache.

Just to let you know, the orientation of the pins on the ASG-2's is the opposite of what you'd expect. The blue and red dots indicating left and right have to be facing in opposite directions--one forward, one back. Either that, or the wiring is backward in one of my two earbuds.

To anyone out there has recently bough a pair of ASG's or changed a cable: if you're not a fan of the sound...CHECK YOUR POLARITY!

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #5,564 of 7,021
P.S. If anyone is in the market for a new cable, I HIGHLY recommend the Linum Estron Bax. They sound great and they're so damn thin I still can't believe they conduct electricity. Most comfortable cable I've ever used.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #5,565 of 7,021
  Had a strange learning experience today. Usually I have my ASG-2's in for a good portion of the day at work. This afternoon, I started getting a splitting headache while listening to a podcast. That, and my usually feel-like-I-was-born-wearing-them headphones were giving me a serious case of listening fatigue. I had to take them out after less than half an hour of listening. Ugh.

After I got home, I looked at the kitchen table and realized the culprit--I changed to a new cable yesterday. Listening to the wiring test on the audiocheck website confirmed it: I screwed up the polarity on my phones. Corrected the mistake by switching the pins on one side and...BAM!! MY MUSIC WAS BACK! I hadn't realized a wiring switch could have such a huge effect on the sound. I was listening to mono podcasts all day so I didn't notice how off the imaging was, but with music the difference is night and day. Plus, no more headache.

Just to let you know, the orientation of the pins on the ASG-2's is the opposite of what you'd expect. The blue and red dots indicating left and right have to be facing in opposite directions--one forward, one back. Either that, or the wiring is backward in one of my two earbuds.

To anyone out there has recently bough a pair of ASG's or changed a cable: if you're not a fan of the sound...CHECK YOUR POLARITY!

Haha the old brain must have been working overtime, perhaps it somehow knew the sound was off and was automatically correcting for it and thats why you didn't notice for a while :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back