[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Nov 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #4,171 of 7,021
Not much difference between Purrins compensated and uncompensated set, not Purrins and Rins.

According to his measurements, there's like 3-4dB of rolloff in the bass (slight mismatch).

I'd also argue that Rin's lower to mid-treble doesn't look at all identical to Purrins. The upper treble you can pretty much ignore on these graphs. The only problem is the comparison is useless because they are different sets of ASG-2.

I personally hear a dip as big as Rin's graph shows in the treble but centered and similarly as linear as Purrin's graph shows instead of a very sharp peak.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4,172 of 7,021
Not much difference between Purrins compensated and uncompensated set, not Purrins and Rins.

According to his measurements, there's like 3-4dB of rolloff in the bass (slight mismatch).

I'd also argue that Rin's lower to mid-treble doesn't look at all identical to Purrins. The upper treble you can pretty much ignore on these graphs. The only problem is the comparison is useless because they are different sets of ASG-2.

I personally hear a dip as big as Rin's graph shows in the treble but centered and similarly as linear as Purrin's graph shows instead of a very sharp peak.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Honestly, they are different in mid-treble, but the differences aren't as drastic as in the bass. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #4,173 of 7,021
In this thread, I learn that everyone listens way louder than I do. I usually listen at around 30-40% in iOS lol. Effin ringin' indeed :l

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4,174 of 7,021
Ah sorry I misunderstood. Honestly, they are different in mid-treble, but the differences aren't as drastic as in the bass. 

I see it a bit differently I guess,

If you look at the probable good earpiece in Rins, the drop from the bass peak to 20 is about 10dB vs 7-9dB in Purrins. Not exactly gigantic in a range where most music wouldn't even have much sound.

The bigger difference is the relative level of about 1K which appears to be about 9dB above 20hz in Rins vs only about 3-4dB in Purrins. That's big difference, right in the human sensitivity range. On my set I hear that difference as closer to Purrins I'd say.

Then there's 4.5k. The difference in Rins to 1k is over 10dB compensated, vs only a few dB on Purrins, and the dip differs by over 2000hz in relative placement of the lowest point.

That amounts to a difference in sound that I probably wouldn't even say is the same IEM.

But generally, the relative smoothness of the curves across the range is more surprising, albeit Rins is much more horizontally compressed to jarring effect, but still.

In this thread, I learn that everyone listens way louder than I do. I usually listen at around 30-40% in iOS lol. Effin ringin' indeed :l

Funny, I learned that I'm likely legally deaf.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4,176 of 7,021
Agreed.

And neither of them was Eke's tour set, if I'm not mistaken.

+1

It's always good to consider unit variance. It can make a bigger difference than some might realize. That said, the measured pair sounded a lot like my original pair, although obviously I couldn't do a direct comparison. I had the same complaints and praises and general observations.

Does anyone know if purrin uses the same compensation as Rin? Looks a bit different to me. I'll take another look at the raw graphs for now...

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #4,177 of 7,021
After looking, thinking, comparing. Just imagining and going back to the eq settings I used to make the ASG-2 sound perfect to my ears, (dammit, the preset got deleted, anyway I remember it by heart) I'd say the graph looks pretty spot on except that I get most of the peaks and dips a bit further down the spectrum. And that HUGE peak shouldn't be 20dB but closer to 10 to my ears. But that's about what I had to cut to get rid of the sibilance. I always felt like I was raping the poor ASG-2 with 10dB cut at 8-9kHz and then 7-10dB boost to everything over 10kHz. I also used at most 5-6dB around 4-5k and 2-3dB at 2-3kHz. And compensated for the bass, about what's shown in the graphs. So overall I'd say it's very close to, if not exactly how I hear the ASG-2. I finally feel like my soul can rest. Thanks Purrin for bringing peace to my heart. I'm ready to move on.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #4,179 of 7,021
Oh. But didn't Aurisonics confirm that the pair Rin measured was pure and utter crap? So we should probably be a bit more reserved. I don't want this discussion again...

Yea, it's almost useless at this point, but given that the set tracked pretty evenly after the bass mismatch, it's hard to say something like completely busted. And that little bit of oddness could lead to a lot of possible assumptions about what was faulty, what wasn't, what driver does what, and why the two sets of raw data are so different. They said it was faulty.

Purrin uses a different compensation than Rin.

Agreed.

And neither of them was Eke's tour set, if I'm not mistaken.

Nope, not a one.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4,180 of 7,021
Great sound emanating forth from this little rig!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,182 of 7,021
Here let me get us back on track , i just got new Cables for my AGS-2 they are the Swan Audio SA-05 i have never heard of them nor could i find any reviews...
But on the ASG-2 oh so good they tame the bass and make it way more punchier and accurate ! treble IS JUUUUUUSSSST RIGHT. And the vocals have never sounded sweeter hahahah overal great cable ! 
Got them for a cheap $199 SGD which is about $159 USD if im not wrong. Great build quality and it comes in a super groovy ( yes i said groovy) Metal Box ! 

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,184 of 7,021
any reason why the ASG-2 is not listed on the Aurisonics web site at all?  I was thinking about trying a set and/or seeing if the trade-in deal is still available....

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #4,185 of 7,021
Now that the semester is over, I finally have time to do what I've been putting off.

First order of business, the paint job. My ASG-2 had the original non-matte paint job, which has accrued damage over time. I decided to do something about it. The result:

I still have to get a few bits and pieces of the paint off and go at it with a nail buffer, but I'm really digging it so far.

Secondly, I have to post the ER4S write up and send it on tour. I already have a few PMs. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back