[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Nov 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #4,111 of 7,021

The AX-60 handily beats both.

and... how much is the screwcking fish???
biggrin.gif

i mean how much AX60 costs?

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #4,113 of 7,021

Quote from him:

... The ASG2 can be hard to fit and are pretty boomy sounding, the SM64 have tighter, better controlled and more well defined bass, clearer mids and more treble detail (without it being harsh). The ASG2 do have a better cable.
I tend to recommend the ASG2 for people that are mostly after bass and not much else.

I test the ASG2 every few weeks to make sure I'm not crazy 
color]

edit: yep, just did another comparison - the ASG2 has slow, boomy bass (even adjusted), recessed mids and fair treble. The SM64 bass is tighter and punchier, if not quite as prominent (I wouldn't want more), but still nice and deep and solid (just without the slow or boomy). The Midrange on the SM64 kills the ASG2 so for vocals the 64 is much nicer and the treble on the 64 is smooth and detailed. 
Pretty much a no brainer for me.
I'm honestly not sure how the current ASG2 price is justified ($549) let alone what our next batch will be priced at if we get stock again ($699)..

edit2: I thought about it a bit, and here's another way I'd put it - the ASG2 remind me of the DT770, the SM64 remind me of the MSPro. It's not 100% accurate of course, but a decent analogy."

Pretty trustworthy guy too... hmm

That's not how I hear the ASG-2 but it's a VERY polarizing iem indeed. It seems that the tuning and purpose of the ASG-2 isn't for you. Listening to them in a quiet setting isn't optimal as they're made for noisy environments, that's where their tuning excels. But it will never, not in any setting, be neutral. Opening the bass valves and stuffing foam into the canals going to the valve helps a bit with the bass but you lose the ability to control the amount of bass. Using certain tips will bring out more treble at the cost of occasional sibilance (which can be painful on some tracks) or remove the sibilance at the cost of some extension and presence.

If you're looking for a good all rounder capable of doing every genre justice, don't look this way. At least not towards the ASG-2. I'd say that there are way better contenders then. But the one thing that I don't understand is how the SM64 is much better than the ASG-2 for vocals.. Vocals are where the ASG-2 really shine, at least in my ears. So I'm a bit confused here. But doesn't matter to me, I love my ASG-2 for the unique sound that just brings the essence of certain songs out.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4,114 of 7,021

And so it should, considering the price difference.

Well, the KEF M200 is $200 and it beats a few $300 or more earphones I've heard (i.e. the W4, the EX1000, and the TF10) to my ears.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,115 of 7,021

and... how much is the screwcking fish???
biggrin.gif

i mean how much AX60 costs?

About the same price as the H200 if you put that silver cable on it. And still beats it handily (from what I read by those who've heard the H200 with the silver cable and and the AX-60). Or without the silver cable you can find the AX-60 for about $80 more than the H--200. Can't really go by what some cost. Now, I would personally expect (and demand) that a $1,000 universal (i.e. 1Plus2) dust a $200, $300 or $400 earphone. I would feel robbed if the sound quality of the lesser ones was even close to that 1K. 

Ironically, DannyBai has stated a few times that the M200 has impressed him quite a bit while he was listening to the 1Plus2. Now, he stated that the 1Plus2 clearly beats out the KEF, but he found himself longing to listen to the M200 at one point just as much as he wanted to put the 1Plus2 in his ears. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #4,117 of 7,021
I was going to do the ER4S comparison today after my exams, but I can't muster up the gusto. I'll try to get it done within the next couple of days though so I can pass the ER4S to anyone who may be interested in trying it.

Quote:
  Quote from him:

"I'm not that big a fan of the ASG2, I think the Earsonics SM64 sounds way better personally. I was actually really disappointed when I first heard the ASG2 because I expected them to be pretty good.
The ASG2 can be hard to fit and are pretty boomy sounding, the SM64 have tighter, better controlled and more well defined bass, clearer mids and more treble detail (without it being harsh). The ASG2 do have a better cable.
I tend to recommend the ASG2 for people that are mostly after bass and not much else.

I test the ASG2 every few weeks to make sure I'm not crazy 
color]

edit: yep, just did another comparison - the ASG2 has slow, boomy bass (even adjusted), recessed mids and fair treble. The SM64 bass is tighter and punchier, if not quite as prominent (I wouldn't want more), but still nice and deep and solid (just without the slow or boomy). The Midrange on the SM64 kills the ASG2 so for vocals the 64 is much nicer and the treble on the 64 is smooth and detailed. 
Pretty much a no brainer for me.
I'm honestly not sure how the current ASG2 price is justified ($549) let alone what our next batch will be priced at if we get stock again ($699)..

edit2: I thought about it a bit, and here's another way I'd put it - the ASG2 remind me of the DT770, the SM64 remind me of the MSPro. It's not 100% accurate of course, but a decent analogy."

Pretty trustworthy guy too... hmm

Interesting comments from the dealer friend. It would appear that the SM64 is actually the best iem on the planet, seeing that it so handily beats the ASG-2, an iem that I think stands among the top tiers.

What's more interesting is that I was chatting with Dale not too long ago about the new stuff they have coming down the pipeline. We got sidetracked talking about how Aurisonics has spread, and he mentioned to me that they were cutting ties with their only dealer in Australia and moving their business to a local distributor instead. This apparently angered the dealer, who was about to put in a large order. It's interesting that these dealers would order more stock for a product they thought was trash, with the exception of the cable of course.

Also, if you want more impressions just have a look at the OP.

To answer your Mad Dog question, I did like it a lot. It's just a few things that made me let go of it, including the fact that I needed cash to fund a long road trip.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #4,118 of 7,021
Well.. I can totally understand how the ASG-2 can sound like garbage to someone who values other things like strong and fast sub bass, thinner mids with more upper mid presence, a better extended treble that's still never harsh. If an immersive soundstage with great realism is not important, if the tactility (is that even a word) and prominent, detailed, emotional vocals and full sounding very life like acoustic guitars aren't prioritized, then the ASG-2 will never be the incredible iem it can be for someone who values that. So let everybody have their opinions, it matters to me as much as a debate wether pizza hut or Mc Donalds have better price/tastiness.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #4,120 of 7,021

Funny how this guy's ASG-2 assessment is pretty much the exact opposite of Gintaras', who thought the cable was trash, but the rest was fine. 
wink.gif

he he... opinions differ. btw, James, are you on tour for Dunu DN1000?
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #4,122 of 7,021
+1 you guys nailed this troll! G2s mid will always be something to reckoned among the best iem made.

troll? who? where? i thought the circus has left the town already
beyersmile.png

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #4,124 of 7,021
  I'm not trolling :\
Just thought I'd provide another perspective on the IEM from a knowledgeable person...
Then again he didn't like the HD650 much (I think it's a bit overrated too)

nothing wrong, tastes differ... the only funny thing about that i thought was their assessment of cable as best part of the package which was totally opposite of what i heard when audition ASG2.

mind this ASG2 is special IEM might be not for everyone, but if you love this sound there is no way back. i had many hours of joy with these but i am not to tell others change their opinion.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #4,125 of 7,021
It's mostly a matter of perspective. But first of all. We all appreciate different things. Second, a person selling iems is bound to be biased towards some brands and models. It has to do with the margin they're selling at. I'm not saying that your source in particular is biased, just pointing it out that there is always a risk. BTW this makes me want to hear the SM64...

Quotes from ljokerl's review of the SM64:

"... The low end of the earphones is outstanding ...and competes in quality with the decidedly less bassy Ultimate Ears 900."

"Tonally, the EarSonics are slightly warm – warmer, for example, than Philips’ flagship Fidelio S2 model and the Ultimate Ears 900."

"The SM64 still cannot be called neutral, however, and lacks some of upper midrange presence and accuracy compared to earphones such as the Fidelio S2, UE 900, and VC1000, just to name a few."

Again, not trying to bash your statement nehcrow, simply quoting. Since I haven't heard the SM64 I will not make any statements of my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back